Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2019, 06:16 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,873,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I realize this is a thread about MD football but I was referring more to basketball because let's be honest, Maryland Football will be red headed step children in either conference. That's what I meant by posting there is no difference between losing to Wisconsin by 50 or Florida State. So yeah the football fans didn't want any part of Maryland, when basketball season started that was a difference story entirely and Maryland has represented well, finishing near the top of the standings most every year since joining the league. It's there that we don't face "Carolina refs" a conference tournament that is no longer in the State of North Carolina 8 out of every 10 years and we don't have to face that sniffling little weasel Coach K who likes to lecture other team's players on their dirty play but does nothing when Grayson Allen routinely trips opponents.

I agree the style is brutal, but this is our coach's style and we would never have seen the run and gun of Gary or Lefty's teams. And again this was a financial no-brainer for a school with a serious financial deficit in the athletic department. Now they have a much larger budget to recruit players and we are seeing the results, well in basketball anyway.
In the Big Ten, like most other conferences now, unfortunately, basketball is given almost a second-tier status. That is why rivals on a large-scale don’t really develop from basketball. There aren’t many true “rivals” in the Big Ten in basketball. There are a handful of very solid teams (MSU, Michigan, Indiana, Purdue, Wisconsin), but none of those schools really have basketball “rivalries.” It’s just not really a Big Ten basketball thing.

Ironically, since joining the Big Ten, MD has yet to win a Big Ten regular season title or Big Ten tournament. Basketball was one sport they were thought to be competitive in coming into the B1G. They have been solid, but have proven not to be at the level of the traditional B1G’s best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2019, 09:50 AM

2,283 posts, read 3,936,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Maryland to the Big 10 is even worse than BC to the ACC.

Rutgers to the Big 10 is just slightly less bad than Umass goin FBS when it did and joining the MAC. Those are the two worse when it come to northeast college football.

Reaslitically, Maryland is too Northern to expect much out of college sports. The rest of the country likes college sports far more than the Northeast-Maryland is somewhat southern so there’s some demand for it but nothing like most of the US.

Navy Army Maryland UMass UConn Rutgers Pitt Syracuse BC Temple should all form one conference.

That’s 10, it leaves 1 slot open for West Virginia or SUNY should they ever decide to join and 1 slot for a smaller school like Delaware Rhode Island New Hampshire Vermont Or Maine should they ever decide to level up to FBS, Rhode Island and Vermont already have solid enough basketball programs.

Unfortunately Since ‘Northeastern Conference’ is taken we could go ‘New East’, ‘City East’, Or simply ‘the Eastern Conference’ that would give us a chance to develop natural rivals and resurrect some rivalries.

Maryland would be at the top of the conference with UConn and Syracuse in Basketball and BC and Pitt in Football. Adding West Virginia in would be great for football and Vermont Or Rhode Island would be great for basketball ( I think Rhode Island and Delaware are the small schools most likely to level up their football programs). 11 team in football would make for a great 10 game conference schedule with 3 out of conference games.

An intense schedule like that would develop rivalries quickly and pressure teams to achieve parity with stronger programs.
I don't think Maryland would join a northeast conference without Penn State. It is the whale (Moby Dick) that every football school in the northeast is obsessed about and chases. With Penn State onboard, I imagine an all sports, northeast conference would look like this:

1. Boston College
2. Massachusetts
3. Connecticut
4. SUNY Buffalo
5. Syracuse
6. Rutgers
7. Temple
8. Penn State
9. Pittsburgh
10. Delaware
11. Maryland
12. West Virginia

Old 10-24-2019, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post
I don't think Maryland would join a northeast conference without Penn State. It is the whale (Moby Dick) that every football school in the northeast is obsessed about and chases. With Penn State onboard, I imagine an all sports, northeast conference would look like this:

1. Boston College
2. Massachusetts
3. Connecticut
4. SUNY Buffalo
5. Syracuse
6. Rutgers
7. Temple
8. Penn State
9. Pittsburgh
10. Delaware
11. Maryland
12. West Virginia
That would be a cool conference!

Old 10-24-2019, 11:21 AM

7,020 posts, read 11,314,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
That would be a cool conference!
The Terps could win some football games in that one

Old 10-24-2019, 12:05 PM

16,278 posts, read 10,414,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
In the Big Ten, like most other conferences now, unfortunately, basketball is given almost a second-tier status. That is why rivals on a large-scale don’t really develop from basketball. There aren’t many true “rivals” in the Big Ten in basketball. There are a handful of very solid teams (MSU, Michigan, Indiana, Purdue, Wisconsin), but none of those schools really have basketball “rivalries.” It’s just not really a Big Ten basketball thing.

Ironically, since joining the Big Ten, MD has yet to win a Big Ten regular season title or Big Ten tournament. Basketball was one sport they were thought to be competitive in coming into the B1G. They have been solid, but have proven not to be at the level of the traditional B1G’s best.
I don't think they needed to win a BIG regular season or tourney title in only 5 seasons to be considered competitive. They finished 2nd, tied for 2nd, tied for 3rd, 8th and 5th which is certainly more than just competitive, that's pretty good for a 14 team league. They also made 4 NCAA tournament appearances in those 5 seasons and of course they are in everyone's preseason top 10 this season.

I never claimed they were up there with Michigan State, just said they represented well and that seems to be backed up with the records.

Last edited by DaveinMtAiry; 10-24-2019 at 12:16 PM..

Old 10-24-2019, 12:15 PM

16,278 posts, read 10,414,707 times
Quote:

1. Boston College
2. Massachusetts
3. Connecticut
4. SUNY Buffalo
5. Syracuse
6. Rutgers
7. Temple
8. Penn State
9. Pittsburgh
10. Delaware
11. Maryland
12. West Virginia
Conferences based on geography ended a long time ago and it's never going back. At one time the ACC was composed of teams along the Mid-Atlantic coast. Now they have teams from Syracuse, South Bend, Louisville etc. I could go on and on with examples from other conferences but you get the point. Today it's all about TV markets and revenue, which is why the BIG wanted Rutgers and Maryland, and I'm OK with that.

Old 10-24-2019, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Conferences based on geography ended a long time ago and it's never going back. At one time the ACC was composed of teams along the Mid-Atlantic coast. Now they have teams from Syracuse, South Bend, Louisville etc. I could go on and on with examples from other conferences but you get the point. Today it's all about TV markets and revenue, which is why the BIG wanted Rutgers and Maryland, and I'm OK with that.
Notre Dame is not part of the ACC for football. It’s an independent. Agree with you though. Conferences are still mainly geographical now, but it’s very loose and there are some outliers that you mentioned (Rutgers, MD, BC, Syracuse, etc). Big Ten fans were dreaming and holding out hope that it would have been Notre Dane and Mizzou that would have been the 2 to join. It would have made perfect geographical sense. Unfortunately, ND is a pipe dream (they will never join a conference for football). Missouri was the second popular choice, but at the time they had just recently been snagged by the SEC and I think contractual issues made it hard for them to leave.

Old 10-25-2019, 08:26 AM

21,637 posts, read 12,773,959 times
Quote:

1. Boston College
2. Massachusetts
3. Connecticut
4. SUNY Buffalo
5. Syracuse
6. Rutgers
7. Temple
8. Penn State
9. Pittsburgh
10. Delaware
11. Maryland
12. West Virginia
I considered Penn State but that’s really really a pipe dream. So I ramped down the expectations. Maryland isn’t on Penn States level.

My hope would be the conference could get really established and we would pick up school like Delaware SUNY or WVU later down the road. I’m assuming you excluded Army and Navy because the weakness of their non football sports? Which makes sense

Old 10-25-2019, 08:33 AM

21,637 posts, read 12,773,959 times
Quote:
They’re less based on geography but to say they’re not isn’t really true-yet. Travel costs are real and if you can draw in big media markets and alumni bases in a concentrated AREA and have competition it’s a win-win. This conference would have good parity in the revenue sports and the alumni are still mostly concentrated nearby where they went to undergrad... I think it’d be a very solid conference if t ever came to fruition although I would take out Buffalo(weak brand, weak basketball) and Delaware (it’s FCS) at least to start. I’d prefer Rhode Island over Delaware because of the basketball.

Old 10-25-2019, 12:04 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,936,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I considered Penn State but that’s really really a pipe dream. So I ramped down the expectations. Maryland isn’t on Penn States level.

My hope would be the conference could get really established and we would pick up school like Delaware SUNY or WVU later down the road. I’m assuming you excluded Army and Navy because the weakness of their non football sports? Which makes sense
There's no northeast conference without Penn State included. And we all know Penn State isn't going anywhere. You can add Maryland, Rutgers, Cuse, Pitt and WVU to the list. Without those schools, there will never be a formidable conference representing the northeast. I'm ok with that.

I'm not sure about Army but I believe Navy prefers to play outside of its region because it views their football team as a recruiting tool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland