Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2019, 07:14 PM

45,375 posts, read 60,561,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Baltimoreans of "a certain age" do have the exact same opinion as you as to where "Western Maryland" starts. I have heard it in person, and actually read it in print. Baltimore natives do tend to think of anything west of themselves as "Western Maryland." Thanks for explaining why, it makes a bit more sense to me now.

I worked with a guy that tried to create what called "The Catoctin Region" which was Washington, Frederick, and Carroll Counties. He did history, culture, had a newsletter or something. I don't think the name stuck, which is a bit of a bummer, because I think the real "Western Maryland" would be easier to understand if we didn't get mixed up with "Mid Maryland," a scenic but notably different region.
Catoctin is too hard to pronounce and sounds dirty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2019, 07:18 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,964,660 times
I don't think anywhere west of where I am is western Maryland. But when I get to Westminster and see mountains off in the distance, that's what I think of.

Old 09-29-2019, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Catoctin is too hard to pronounce and sounds dirty.
How many beers does it take to forget a Football game?

Old 09-29-2019, 07:33 PM

45,375 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger 68 View Post
I don't think anywhere west of where I am is western Maryland. But when I get to Westminster and see mountains off in the distance, that's what I think of.
And Westminster is in Carroll County.

Football game?

Old 09-29-2019, 08:30 PM

7,012 posts, read 11,307,950 times
Quote:
How many beers does it take to forget a Football game?
It was not fun to watch big mouth, big money Earl Thomas look 2 steps slow as our last line of defense for the third straight week. On the last 88 yard TD run, he hit the breaks at around the 50 yard line.

I've said it on here so many times. When Jimmy Smith is healthy, we are a really good defensive football team. When he is not healthy (which is often) we are not. It has been that way since about 2012. I am not sure anyone else in the world understands how important that guy is to our team.

The hope is that the defense, which is young at linebacker and pass rusher, gets better as the year goes on, and that Jimmy gets healthy and gives us two lock-down corners. We can try to scheme the rest.

2-2 isn't the end of the world with the Steelers and Bengals at 0-3 each.

Old 09-29-2019, 08:34 PM

7,012 posts, read 11,307,950 times
Quote:
Lol, how much is west of Cockeysville and east of Westminster? Like 1/2 a county?

I don't mean it as a dig, what you said is literally what a Baltimore guy about your age said to me once, he saw those mountains in the distance, proclaimed he was in Western Maryland, and started making cracks about "Fredneck" which was a term I had never heard before and was very confused about.

The difference for D.C. people is that heading west takes them into 40 more miles or so of suburbs before it starts to feel truly rural. Being closer to the Mason-Dixon, Baltimore is closer to these rural places.

Old 09-29-2019, 10:35 PM

Quote:
And Westminster is in Carroll County.

Football game?
And the mountains are in western Maryland. And you see them when you get to Westminster.

I mentioned Football and somebody got excited.

I use to. Now? I would rather be on my bike. If fall ever gets here.

Maybe I should go to Westminster in Carroll County, and see the mountains off in the distance, in the mid, northern, western region of the Piedmont filled with Gems......

Old 09-30-2019, 07:32 AM

833 posts, read 520,728 times
Shhhhh....don't tell anyone. We appreciate their ignorance of the area.

Old 09-30-2019, 06:59 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,092,097 times
Quote:
If that's true why was Western Maryland College in Carroll County? Huh? Huh?

(let's mess with the nimrods)

That was one reason they renamed it

Old 09-30-2019, 07:03 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,092,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Nope. Western Maryland is west of Sideling Hill. Everything east is some form of "downstate" or another.

I like this grouping of the Mason-Dixon Counties. I tend to call it "Mid Maryland" since it stretches from Hagerstown to about Harford County along the northern border of our state. It is a nice area, but certainly not Western Maryland.

I think of most of it (at least everything between I-81 and I-83) as being 'The Civil War Heritage Area', And yes living in it I think it is possibly the best part of Maryland. Never thought of it as 'Northern Maryland'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland