Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2019, 09:57 AM

45,383 posts, read 60,575,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post
Wow...I never expected this. Cummings seemed very vibrant attacking Trump just a month ago.

I imagine the political wagon has begun circling around Mike Miller, who has stage 4 prostate cancer, which I understand is not curable in most cases.
I saw Miller a couple weeks ago, he's shaky walking (he has had both hips replaced) but looked amazingly healthy. He doesn't have that cancer pallor or weight loss you see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2019, 10:07 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,965,185 times
I guess Govtrack is a competitor site......https://www.govtrack.us/congress/mem...ummings/400090

Old 10-17-2019, 10:10 AM

391 posts, read 196,485 times
From David Lublin's Seventh State Blog........

Quote:
Filling Sad Vacancies
by David Lublin
Rep. Elijah Cummings was one of those people who truly grew in stature and value to the country over time. His indefatigable stand against ceaseless efforts to deprave our institutions from the Benghazi witch hunt to his ringing words fighting Trump's seemingly bottomless corruption provided badly needed moral voice and leadership. Nor did he forget problems at home even as he led on national questions.

Third District Vacancy
The Baltimore Sun explained the process for filling this sad vacancy:

Gov. Larry Hogan has 10 days to issue a proclamation stating a special primary election and a special general election will be held to fill the vacancy, according to the law. The seat will remain vacant until then.

The special primary election shall be held on a Tuesday that is at least 65 days after the proclamation was issued and the special general election shall be held on a Tuesday that is at least 65 days after the primary.

That’s near the end of February at the absolute earliest.

“The whole process could be five months,” said Jared DeMarinis, the state elections board’s director of candidacy and campaign finance. “And that’s moving it along.”

Hogan’s spokesman, Mike Ricci, said Thursday morning that it wasn’t clear yet when the special election would take place.

The elections board needs that window of time to get procedures in order. Ballots will need to be printed and sent out, along with other logistics.

“What we’re waiting for is when the governor issues the proclamation,” DeMarinis said. “That fills in all the gaps.”

In short, it depends how fast Gov. Hogan moves to call the election. The Third District takes in portions of Baltimore City, Baltimore County and Howard County.

While I imagine many will be eyeing this rare opening, I suspect that Cummings's widow and current Maryland Democratic Party Chair Maya Rockymore Cummings would be a lock for the seat if she seeks it. Beyond being this respected representative's widow, she raised her own profile through her gubernatorial run and then her successful run for Democratic Party Chair in the wake of the 2018 election.

Oversight Chair Vacancy
Cummings's passing is a also a loss for Maryland's influence in the U.S. House. On the House Oversight and Reform Committee, Cummings's chairman's gavel will be up for grabs. The committee has played a critical role in the impeachment inquiry.

Based on strict seniority, the post would go to Carolyn Maloney (NY 12), who has been named acting chair. Just behind her are Eleanor Holmes Norton (DC AL) and William Clay (MO 01). Norton, who also possesses significant legal chops, would be the first DC delegate to chair a committee.

Rep. Jamie Raskin (MD 08) is also a rising star on this committee. After just a couple of terms, he's already eighth in seniority, which puts him ahead of fifteen other Democrats but still probably too junior to leapfrog into the post.

David Lublin | October 17, 2019 at 11:43 am | Tags: Carolyn Maloney, Eleanor Holmes Norton, Elijah Cummings, House Oversight and Reform Committee, Jamie Raskin, Maya Rockeymoore Cummings, William Clay | Categories: Seventh Congressional District | URL: https://wp.me/p4mKJE-3aH

Old 10-17-2019, 10:52 AM

2,283 posts, read 3,936,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I saw Miller a couple weeks ago, he's shaky walking (he has had both hips replaced) but looked amazingly healthy. He doesn't have that cancer pallor or weight loss you see.
Other than the hair loss, Hogan didn't look like emaciated.

Good for Miller. I hope he has a long, healthy life. I just wish he'd start retirement immediately.

Old 10-17-2019, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post
Other than the hair loss, Hogan didn't look like emaciated.

Good for Miller. I hope he has a long, healthy life. I just wish he'd start retirement immediately.
Well, your opinion differs from mine, and it's because of naked self interest. Miller goes and the SoMD Counties lose all their clout in Annapolis. He's been good (meaning sponsoring bond bills and pushing things like road funding) for the towns down here especially as well as Calvert County. His replacement won't even be able to find us on the map.

Same with Hoyer leaving. NAS PAX has been a beneficiary and, while he didn't exactly "save" the base like he claims and many people believe, he is responsible for getting programs, with their jobs, sent there. His replacement also won't be able to find us on a map.

Old 10-17-2019, 02:53 PM

8,242 posts, read 13,360,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeMilligan's Alter Ego View Post
From David Lublin's Seventh State Blog........
wow.. thanks for sharing that.. I didn't realize his wife was that active( I don't follow state politics as closely as the City though I know I should)... Seems like she will get the nod should she wants it....and knowing most politicos in MD.. she probably does...

Old 10-17-2019, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
wow.. thanks for sharing that.. I didn't realize his wife was that active( I don't follow state politics as closely as the City though I know I should)... Seems like she will get the nod should she wants it....and knowing most politicos in MD.. she probably does...
Maybe. She's been having some issues with diverted funding related to a non-profit she runs.

https://capitalresearch.org/article/...ocuments-show/

Old 10-18-2019, 07:35 AM

391 posts, read 196,485 times
The guessing has begun.....

https://www.marylandmatters.org/2019...-7th-district/

Old 10-18-2019, 11:14 AM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
I live in the part of eastern Howard County where the 2nd, 3rd, and 7th districts converge in a narrow funnel. Drive down Route 100, and which district you're in depends on which lane you're using. (I exaggerate, but not by much.) Elijah Cummings may have been my representative, on paper, but in reality he has never represented my interests in any way, shape, or form. More often than not, he has worked against my interests.

I would have never, ever wished any kind of physical harm on him, much less death. And I certainly do pray that God's comfort will come upon his grieving friends and family. But am I sorry that he is no longer my voice in the United States Congress? Nope, not in the least.

Old 10-18-2019, 11:37 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,965,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I live in the part of eastern Howard County where the 2nd, 3rd, and 7th districts converge in a narrow funnel. Drive down Route 100, and which district you're in depends on which lane you're using. (I exaggerate, but not by much.) Elijah Cummings may have been my representative, on paper, but in reality he has never represented my interests in any way, shape, or form. More often than not, he has worked against my interests.

I would have never, ever wished any kind of physical harm on him, much less death. And I certainly do pray that God's comfort will come upon his grieving friends and family. But am I sorry that he is no longer my voice in the United States Congress? Nope, not in the least.
Examples? My gripe is with development, but that issue is everywhere in large metros. Build it, they will come.....

I did list his record above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland