Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2020, 09:35 AM

45,382 posts, read 60,575,206 times

Advertisements

Here's the problem whenever this type of question comes up (ignoring the unrealistic rent number for 99% of the state): definitions.

What's meant by "amenities" and "shopping"? Is that groceries? If so, how many and what kind (the regional ones here like Giant or do you also want Trader Joe's and Whole Foods)?

What kind of "shopping". Basics or quaint shoppes that change when the lease expires?

What kind of "amenities"? A money losing performing arts center and regular disruptive street fairs or the typical Friday night high school sports?

Medical care? The typical rural hospital that can treat 95% of the people that come through its doors with doctors who know when to send the remaining 5% for specialty care or a trauma center with a helipad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2020, 03:47 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,663,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunsMass View Post
By 'best' place I mean closest to amenities (medical, shopping, &c), safest (not West Baltimore), but without regard to proximity to jobs. For the sake of this, let's say I can work from any location.

By single-family home I do not mean trailer. But, any size otherwise will do, as long as it's not attached to another house and includes at least 50 ft between the nearest neighbor.

Areas adjacent to MD can be considered, as well as anywhere in the USA if you've special insight.

If you don't know rents per se, than assume this would be an area with home prices that average $150,000 or less.

Other than these criteria, consider that it does not 'depend' on any other factors of my person. Please just answer what you yourself would consider the best area meeting them. Happy Christmas.
There is none.

Old 01-03-2020, 08:38 AM

187 posts, read 364,201 times
I should have just asked, "Where is the least ****ty place that these places exist?" If you read the thread, you'd see they do. I'm only asking whether it's best to live far NW, W, SE, PA, DE, &c.

It's obviously not an easy question. Those answering 'NONE LOL' aren't as clever as they wish to seem.

Old 01-03-2020, 09:43 AM

7,017 posts, read 11,310,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunsMass View Post
I should have just asked, "Where is the least ****ty place that these places exist?" If you read the thread, you'd see they do. I'm only asking whether it's best to live far NW, W, SE, PA, DE, &c.

It's obviously not an easy question. Those answering 'NONE LOL' aren't as clever as they wish to seem.
Of course these places exist. They are just so far afield from the typical suburban bubble life experience that they might as well be invisible to some people.

Check out Trulia today. Lots of options close to your price range. You would have to compromise on the distance to neighbors for most of them, but otherwise you have options all over town that meet or are close to your price range.

https://www.trulia.com/for_rent/Cumberland,MD/

Last edited by westsideboy; 01-03-2020 at 10:00 AM..

Old 01-03-2020, 12:38 PM

7 posts, read 4,215 times
I get the sense that this is a test thread and that you're not actually looking. $750 is a hard price to find for a single family home almost anywhere in the US, let alone Maryland.

Maybe, maybe, you could find something out in the boonies between Garrett and Washington counties, or out in very isolated areas of the Eastern Shore like Somerset and Dorchester counties where transportation infrastructure isn't well-developed and where both population and job opportunities are sparse.

If you find something to rent below $1,000 it's likely to be in very poor condition and the landlord likely has no intentions to improve the place. That price range simply does not cover the costs of operating a rental unit or providing any cash flow to make it worth the risk.

Old 01-03-2020, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemminkainen86 View Post
I get the sense that this is a test thread and that you're not actually looking. $750 is a hard price to find for a single family home almost anywhere in the US, let alone Maryland.

Maybe, maybe, you could find something out in the boonies between Garrett and Washington counties, or out in very isolated areas of the Eastern Shore like Somerset and Dorchester counties where transportation infrastructure isn't well-developed and where both population and job opportunities are sparse.

If you find something to rent below $1,000 it's likely to be in very poor condition and the landlord likely has no intentions to improve the place. That price range simply does not cover the costs of operating a rental unit or providing any cash flow to make it worth the risk.
Cumberland! Not Garrett, tourism raises the rent. Not Washington Co., Hagerstown is too close to the metro markets.

CUMBERLAND is your sweet spot in Maryland at that low price point. When you can buy those places for 60k or less, you can rent them out from $750 a month. I would personally live on some on the streets and in the properties in the link I posted above. No, they aren't 21st century builds. No, they won't be updated to the taste and preference of a Maryland suburbanite. But they do exist and people live there and are quite happy and fulfilled.

I know our concerns out here are mostly ignored in downstate Maryland, but I had no idea our entire community was invisible to basic Google searching for rent prices.

Old 01-03-2020, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Cumberland! Not Garrett, tourism raises the rent. Not Washington Co., Hagerstown is too close to the metro markets.

CUMBERLAND is your sweet spot in Maryland at that low price point. When you can buy those places for 60k or less, you can rent them out from $750 a month. I would personally live on some on the streets and in the properties in the link I posted above. No, they aren't 21st century builds. No, they won't be updated to the taste and preference of a Maryland suburbanite. But they do exist and people live there and are quite happy and fulfilled.

I know our concerns out here are mostly ignored in downstate Maryland, but I had no idea our entire community was invisible to basic Google searching for rent prices.
Yes, but are you close to shopping, medical and other amenities? Plus, do you have a thriving arts and cultural scene?

Old 01-03-2020, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Yes, but are you close to shopping, medical and other amenities? Plus, do you have a thriving arts and cultural scene?

Actually.....yes. Many of those houses are within walking distance to stores, both functional and recreational. Cumberland has a newer hospital (10 years old roughly) and medical offices clustered around it in the city limits. We have several theatres and art galleries in the city as well.

There is never a shortage of things to do, places to go, things to see. I sincerely question how many of our detractors are actually frequent attenders of art shows, theatre productions, and so forth. I am willing to bet I catch more live theatre and attend more art exhibitions each year than the vast majority of the people in this forum, all without leaving my home county.

Old 01-03-2020, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post

Actually.....yes. Many of those houses are within walking distance to stores, both functional and recreational. Cumberland has a newer hospital (10 years old roughly) and medical offices clustered around it in the city limits. We have several theatres and art galleries in the city as well.

There is never a shortage of things to do, places to go, things to see. I sincerely question how many of our detractors are actually frequent attenders of art shows, theatre productions, and so forth. I am willing to bet I catch more live theatre and attend more art exhibitions each year than the vast majority of the people in this forum, all without leaving my home county.
Go back a few posts and see what I said about definitions. Friday night football still doesn't count as "art".

Old 01-03-2020, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Go back a few posts and see what I said about definitions. Friday night football still doesn't count as "art".
Now you're just trolling again.............

Check this guy out. My wife and I know him personally. We got an invitation to his show last year, and then followed it up with a personal tour of a private art collection in town from a family acquaintance in attendance that rivals that of small museums.

Hilmar Gottesthal

...........then we went to the football game

But seriously, I didn't get to any football games this year for the first time in a decade. I did get to see the #1 and #4 ranked high school boys basketball teams in the country play at my Alma mater, also in the city limits, last season though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland