Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2020, 10:14 PM

63 posts, read 65,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
You didn't ask about "race relations" ,you went straight to the racism".
You’re just grasping at straws to try and bash me at this point. First of all, I did use the term “race relations” in my original post. Second, I was using them to mean basically the same thing.

All you’ve done on this thread is attempt to start these little fires by framing me as one who thinks only about race, which I’ve extinguished each time. If you can’t understand that some people have different considerations for visiting a place than you, at least try and refrain from butting into discussions where you won’t contribute anything but make these nonsensical accusations. That’s the last thing I’m gonna say here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2020, 04:58 PM

18,521 posts, read 10,457,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Sipwiaac View Post
You’re just grasping at straws to try and bash me at this point. First of all, I did use the term “race relations” in my original post. Second, I was using them to mean basically the same thing.

All you’ve done on this thread is attempt to start these little fires by framing me as one who thinks only about race, which I’ve extinguished each time. If you can’t understand that some people have different considerations for visiting a place than you, at least try and refrain from butting into discussions where you won’t contribute anything but make these nonsensical accusations. That’s the last thing I’m gonna say here.
Your bias agenda shows through in every response,I feel sad for you.

Old 06-12-2020, 10:32 AM

65 posts, read 96,448 times
With the climate we have had these last few weeks, I'm saddened a bit to see Chief Sipwiaac's question attacked. It's obvious to me that many in America do not have the same experiences I have had as a white woman living in America for 50+ years. Oddly, I have had the same question because I do appreciate diversity with a live-and-let-live attitude and am in the process of figuring out where we will be moving to this year, as my family and I feel as if we are becoming consumed by the beauty of Maryland/WV/VA areas. Somehow, I think we Americans can have a live and let live attitude without going along with blatant racism. I think the Chief was looking for that response. It's a fair question and I have the same one.

I also think it's reasonable to put this question out there before someone subjects themselves to abuse or spend their vacation funds if they may not have the same experience as me. After all, we just watched a cop kneeling on a man's neck as life left him (along with 3 other cops who watched) with no remorse or excuse for a possible $20 bill fraud (which we still don't know anything about the validity of that claim, by the way.) I understand the man may not have been a saint, but maybe he was- I didn't know him but I do know that he should not have died that way- under any conditions. Context and timing means a lot here and I hope people can simmer down soon. Just my opinion.

Old 06-12-2020, 11:09 AM

6,908 posts, read 11,160,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnSp View Post
With the climate we have had these last few weeks, I'm saddened a bit to see Chief Sipwiaac's question attacked. It's obvious to me that many in America do not have the same experiences I have had as a white woman living in America for 50+ years. Oddly, I have had the same question because I do appreciate diversity with a live-and-let-live attitude and am in the process of figuring out where we will be moving to this year, as my family and I feel as if we are becoming consumed by the beauty of Maryland/WV/VA areas. Somehow, I think we Americans can have a live and let live attitude without going along with blatant racism. I think the Chief was looking for that response. It's a fair question and I have the same one.

I also think it's reasonable to put this question out there before someone subjects themselves to abuse or spend their vacation funds if they may not have the same experience as me. After all, we just watched a cop kneeling on a man's neck as life left him (along with 3 other cops who watched) with no remorse or excuse for a possible $20 bill fraud (which we still don't know anything about the validity of that claim, by the way.) I understand the man may not have been a saint, but maybe he was- I didn't know him but I do know that he should not have died that way- under any conditions. Context and timing means a lot here and I hope people can simmer down soon. Just my opinion.

The "attacker" isn't a member of my community. As mentioned in my first post, threads like this normally descend into everybody from everywhere giving their 10 cent opinion because so few people have any experience with my small community of 70k people, and fewer still have the wealth of experience needed to provide an in-depth answer. You get far more people who see the title and jump in because they want to say something about race that has nothing to do with my small community.

OP has started similar threads about other areas. I assumed good faith, and still do. Anything else you want to know?

Old 06-12-2020, 03:16 PM

44,878 posts, read 59,846,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
The "attacker" isn't a member of my community. As mentioned in my first post, threads like this normally descend into everybody from everywhere giving their 10 cent opinion because so few people have any experience with my small community of 70k people, and fewer still have the wealth of experience needed to provide an in-depth answer. You get far more people who see the title and jump in because they want to say something about race that has nothing to do with my small community.

OP has started similar threads about other areas. I assumed good faith, and still do. Anything else you want to know?

Never assume good faith.

Having said that, I have enjoyed watching this thread implode.

Old 06-12-2020, 03:42 PM

Default What do you love about your area of Western Maryland?

I'd love to know about specific towns in the "Western Maryland" region.

We've moved temporarily to Mount Airy which is an adorable community where my sister and niece live and we really like it. I had work in Baltimore region but I hate the traffic and I'm not a city girl per se, so I've been moving west. I "breathe" better in the country. Like kids are my people, the country is my place. (I'm a behavior analyst creating home programs for kids with Autism.) I do love the Frederick, Westminster, New Market, etc.

We've moved around and am really ready to settle down and zoom in on specific areas. I know there is plenty of work in Hagerstown which is significantly cheaper than the areas above. It's a bit pricey in the towns above and prices drop as one travels along 70W so that's the right direction! We love the vibe in Harper's Ferry and Shepherdstown, WV, too which are akin to where we lived in Bucks County, PA for years (New Hope). My husband is now disabled (a former stone mason) and I would love to be able to retire one day so I need it to be affordable but clean and safe. I have 1 adult daughter who will be moving with us (with a goal to work with seniors) and hopefully my musician daughter will join us after college. We are left-leaning Christians to give you a sense of who we are fundamentally.

It's so funny how I've been to the Alps and the Rockies and while they are grand, they tend to get boring after a while. Unlike the hills of this region, they are peaceful. I felt the same way about the Smokies. I guess my mantra "more is not better" kicks in. I love genuine people who are not out to "make an impression" but appreciate nature and kindness to each other. Not too much to ask. The rest is live and let live, so I think I'm okay for Marylanders.

We are going to explore Hagerstown tomorrow; I've only cruised through the general area.

Questions: What towns are you in, pros and cons and anything you want to share?

Old 06-12-2020, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Never assume good faith.

Having said that, I have enjoyed watching this thread implode.
I guess we need to change the questioner for people looking to move to include racism questions now???Not the "racial climate" but racism .

Old 06-12-2020, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Yup, I expected that lots of 10 cent opinions were going to be offered by people with no experience in the region, and they were.

You didn't miss much unless you consider a poster who once ate a restaurant meal 70 miles from Cumberland as a reliable source of information about our town and its residents.
70 miles from Cumberland, where did you make that up from???Curious , what makes your opinion worth more than .10 cents?

Old 06-12-2020, 09:05 PM

3,408 posts, read 1,871,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Sipwiaac View Post
Why? I was asking a perfectly reasonable question about an area I didn't have any firsthand experience of and wanted to know more about.
After you explore Cumberland, continue west toward Morgantown, and exit south to visit the Deep Creek Lake (largest lake in Maryland)Ski Area, and Wisp Resort. This is a true 4-season recreational area, with lake activities in summer, spectacular Fall foliage, great winter skiing, and nice, though a little chilly, Springs. Lots to do for the whole family. Next door to Deep Creek is Oakland, a very small town but a great place to visit when you're in the Deep Creek area for recreation. I think Cumberland, itself, is underrated, I also think it punches above its weight. Enjoy exploring Western Maryland! Definitely spend a few days in the area.

Old 06-12-2020, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtcelts1 View Post
Whats Shepherd town like Harper's Ferry living there wise if someone was retired , or your opinion? Hospitals just in Frederick? Primary care etc ....
The natural beauty and architecture are beautiful. Restaurants, local colleges with events. Martinsburg I understand has a hospital and I have my doctors out of Frederick & Monocacy with whom I am very pleased.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland