Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2020, 10:58 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,930,296 times

Advertisements

Thurmont, MD and the Catoctin Mountain State Park

Berlin, MD and nearby Assateague beach
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2020, 12:02 PM

351 posts, read 224,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Thanks again for the info on Chesapeake City. As we do visit Rock Hall it could be a stop but that's not normally our route home, we go 50.
True. From Mr Airy, 50 is your best bet. From Baltimore, we take the northern route, which takes a little over hour...so it is a short drive for us.

Either way, if you get a chance, add a bit to your trip and check out Chesapeake City. I think you'll find it worth the extra drive time.

Old 06-19-2020, 10:08 AM

16,269 posts, read 10,395,161 times
I just ran the idea by the wife, she said "road trip" right away. Rather than making it a stop on the way home from Rock Hall we'll make it a day trip from here. Thanks for this, we are running out of day trip spots.

Old 06-19-2020, 10:35 AM

45,330 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
This has turned into a fun thread. LOL at that Ravens play. Not a fan but it was great, the worst play a safety ever made in a big game. Guy used to be a Redskin so no surprise.

Gettysburg was a place I had researched as a retirement destination but yeah I learned about the school tax and others and that was that.

Thanks again for the info on Chesapeake City. As we do visit Rock Hall it could be a stop but that's not normally our route home, we go 50.
Don't you pay a school tax in Mt. Airy?

Old 06-19-2020, 10:56 AM

5,114 posts, read 6,084,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Don't you pay a school tax in Mt. Airy?

Built into the county tax. In Frederick County it takes up over 50% of the county budget. That is why it is possible for candidates for the elected School Board to make such grandiose promises. They can fall back on 'The County didn't fully fund us like we requested so we could carry out the plans'. I don't think any county in MD pays a separate school tax.

Old 06-19-2020, 11:04 AM

45,330 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
Built into the county tax. In Frederick County it takes up over 50% of the county budget. That is why it is possible for candidates for the elected School Board to make such grandiose promises. They can fall back on 'The County didn't fully fund us like we requested so we could carry out the plans'. I don't think any county in MD pays a separate school tax.
I know it is, of course, just pointing out that I rarely if ever hear anyone in Maryland ***** about school taxes like they do in PA (and some people there have a point. School taxes are separately billed there at a different time than other property taxes so they're right out there to see, unlike here where they're rolled into one combined bill, which many people don't understand).

It's not just school board candidates that do that trick, State Legislators do, too. I remember a couple years ago when the Prince George's and Montgomery delegations were pitching a fit because Hogan had "cut" State money to those two school systems. They wanted a 13% increase and Hogan only gave them one of 8% (still more than anyone else other than Baltimore City got).

Or when the "Doomsday Budget" was threatened under O'Malley if he didn't get the tax increases he wanted. "Doomsday" was 3% less than his presented budget.

Old 06-19-2020, 03:06 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,084,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I know it is, of course, just pointing out that I rarely if ever hear anyone in Maryland ***** about school taxes like they do in PA (and some people there have a point. School taxes are separately billed there at a different time than other property taxes so they're right out there to see, unlike here where they're rolled into one combined bill, which many people don't understand).

I was wondering if you had gone senile on us! I figured you of all people knew how it works!

Old 06-20-2020, 07:11 PM

351 posts, read 224,564 times
Quote:
I just ran the idea by the wife, she said "road trip" right away. Rather than making it a stop on the way home from Rock Hall we'll make it a day trip from here. Thanks for this, we are running out of day trip spots.
Cool! Hope you all enjoy it and I'd be curious to hear about your experience when you get back.

As someone else mentioned, there is an app (as well as a website) that provides the times that barges/container ships come through the canal. Some days are busier than others. It's definitely fun to watch at least one come through town.

Old 06-21-2020, 05:40 AM

16,269 posts, read 10,395,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baltimoreguy1 View Post
Cool! Hope you all enjoy it and I'd be curious to hear about your experience when you get back.

As someone else mentioned, there is an app (as well as a website) that provides the times that barges/container ships come through the canal. Some days are busier than others. It's definitely fun to watch at least one come through town.
Off in a few hours, recommendations for a lunch stop? I'll assume they have outdoor seating but if not we can take it to a park.

Old 06-21-2020, 08:08 AM

65 posts, read 98,049 times
Default Searching towns

Quote:
I hope you return and give us your feedback. What part of the country did you come from?
I was born and lived in Central NJ (Ocean County- near Six Flags, Jackson) and lived in Princeton for 5 years until I moved to New Hope, PA and lived in Bucks County fo 20 years where I loved every single day for nature blended with country convenience and excellent shops and restaurants. When my husband became disabled I moved back home to NJ to finish my college and grad school as an adult and raised my kids. I took a job in NC which did not work out- and landed here in MD where my sister lives. So pleased with our decision to stay in this general area and will be learning about the areas mentioned in the upcoming weeks.

It feels good to be home even though I have details to work out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland