Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2020, 06:23 AM

7 posts, read 16,708 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, my wife and I are thinking about moving. We currently live in the Aspen Hill area (Layhill) of Silver Spring and would like to consider Columbia MD. We currently have two kids (4 and 2) and are looking to buy a bigger house. Some of the things we’re considering are:

1. Safety
2. School District
3. Property Value
4. Proximity to common grocery stores
5. Land (lot size)
6. How does the area compare to Silver Spring

I rather not give details but would like to get any thoughts/opinions on Columbia MD. Please feel free to include anything that we should be considering that’s not listed. We are open to all recommendations.

Last edited by walibee00; 06-13-2020 at 06:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2020, 06:45 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Columbia is a planned community, so it looks more orderly than Silver Spring. Columbia looks somewhat sterile to me, as it lacks the more colorful businesses like neighborhood bars. However, that may be what you are looking for with small kids. Columbia has neighborhood playgrounds, walking trails and numerous community pools.

I suspect that you will pay more for a house in a neighborhood with good schools in Columbia, and your taxes and HOA fees will be more costly. You will also be further from the center of DC if that is a consideration for commuting. Regarding safety, I would check specific addresses in a site like Spotcrime. It is impossible to generalize. Columbia has spots where crimes occur, and so does Aspen Hill.

The lot size and grocery options are about the same.

I have lived in both Columbia and Kemp Mill in Silver Spring. If I had small kids I would pick Columbia if I could have a tolerable commute. That is mostly because of somewhat better schools and recreational opportunities.

Old 06-13-2020, 08:01 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,965,185 times
The bigger question is why Columbia? There are other places in the state........

Job location, and distance to home. That is what needs to be known. Better advice can be given.

(Columbia, and Ellicott City are not the only two cities in Maryland)

Old 06-13-2020, 08:09 AM

We are totally aware of the other cities in the state. From what we’ve seen we like Columbia. But we want more information/opinions to see if there anything we are not considering or unaware of.

What’s your opinion on Columbia for a family of 4? .

We are totally fine with the commute to work.

Old 06-13-2020, 06:39 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,965,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walibee00 View Post
We are totally aware of the other cities in the state. From what we’ve seen we like Columbia. But we want more information/opinions to see if there anything we are not considering or unaware of.

What’s your opinion on Columbia for a family of 4? .

We are totally fine with the commute to work.

Old 06-13-2020, 11:18 PM

Quote:
...... From what we’ve seen we like Columbia. But we want more information/opinions to see if there anything we are not considering or unaware of.
You should be aware of the HOA rules for the particular subdivision of Columbia. For example, some of the older areas with earth-colored siding, you my not paint your house in anything but approved colors. Where there are walking trails passing yards, you must allow people to walk past your back yard. There are probably also restrictions on the kind of fencing you have, as you see very little fencing in the single-family neighborhoods. Make sure you can live with the rules.

Last edited by goldenage1; 06-13-2020 at 11:36 PM..

Old 06-14-2020, 07:20 AM

Quote:
3. Property Value
4. Proximity to common grocery stores
3. Without knowing your budget, I can only give generalizations about property values. The older, smaller homes built in the 1970's probably do not keep up with average appreciation as they look dated. People who bought in the boom of 2006-08 probably paid too much, and I suggest looking at the whole price history to avoid also paying too much. A home newer than 5 years probably retains its value. Look for homes close to the median price ($600-700,000), and which fit in with the neighborhoood. Very expensive homes will always take longer to sell.

4. One positive thing about Columbia compared to Aspen Hill is the presence of upscale grocery stores like Wegmans and Harris Teeter. Store are clustered in shopping areas with discreet signage often surrounded by green space or berms.

Old 06-15-2020, 07:12 PM

We're looking at homes under $700k that are 2800sqft and up.

Old 06-16-2020, 06:10 PM

Quote:
The newer ones should retain their value well, especially if they are in a competitve school district.

Old 06-17-2020, 02:31 PM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
Quote:
The typical development pattern in Columbia is that apartment complexes are next to the Village Centers, then townhouses are a little bit further out, then single family houses are on the side streets away from the centers. If you're looking for a single family house, you probably (not definitely, but probably) won't be in walking distance of a grocery store -- if that's a concern for you.

Columbia has "common" grocery stores like Giant and Safeway, as well as Harris Teeter and Wegmans and Food Lion (well, I think that's in Elkridge, but close enough) and a few others, as well as Target and Walmart and Costco and BJ's. Plus there are the more specialty type places, like Whole Foods and David's Natural Market and Trader Joe's and Sprouts (in nearby Ellicott City). And there are Asian supermarkets in Ellicott City as well. I doubt there's anywhere in Columbia that isn't within a 10-minute drive of a supermarket, so you needn't worry about that.

The Howard County Public School System website shows maps of the attendance zones for all schools and also gives information on test scores and demographics by school. Great Schools gives ratings and other information for all schools. Between these two sites, you should be able to narrow your choices considerably.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland