U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2020, 10:16 AM

1,974 posts, read 4,250,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Where have you seen this in Maryland. The only intolerant people I run into are so called Progressives. You know, like the OP, who couch their intolerance in nuance like "the wrong people are coming here", or retreat to their "exclusive" gated or patrolled communities.

You guys that are always running into people who insult you for not supporting Trump, or get yelled at by people in passing cars or whatever, sometimes amaze me and make me wonder where exactly you're going and what you're doing.

Something not noted earlier: Demographics of Kent Island
Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site
Queen Anne's County
https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...land/AGE295219
I most live in a politically apathetic area of Maryland. I have not seen anyone out and about with their signs and posters trying to accost others or lecture those of a different mind-set. I do see different signs in yards, but not much else.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2020, 03:18 PM

6,185 posts, read 10,227,713 times
As other's mentioned - "conservatives" means different things to different people.

I live in EC and have a lot of friends that live in Caroll county. For the most part - I guess you can say many are fiscally conservative. But honestly, I've been here for over 15 years, and I have no clue what political affiliation my neighbors are. It's not like they walk around holding signs or stage political rallies.

As a Chinese American - I feel perfectly fine with Eldersburg/Carroll county. We'll make jokes about them (e.g. it's where sheeps are nervous) - but in reality, it's all relative. Overall, MD is still a very blue state. Just as people talk about dangerous areas in Columbia, MD. Which is a joke to people who live in Baltimore. Or even Silver Spring/Takoma Park for that matter....

Old 11-01-2020, 09:41 AM

9,944 posts, read 10,696,023 times
This thread has gone awfully political....I'll just say...
...There's nothing wrong with the OP -- or anyone -- wanting to live around like-minded people. And none of us have said there is.

God knows I wish we could "all just get along." But some people just aren't interested in that. And that's unfortunate. Some people just won't let others "live in peace."

Don't we all (or most of us) just hope with can live safely, in peace, enjoy our family and friends, lose (or gain weight), win the lottery, retire, travel -- or just sit on the porch in a rocking chair--, eat as much as we want and not gain weight), make a normal decent living -- or be the next great billionaire--?

And we move to where we hope we can find or achieve that.

Old 11-03-2020, 01:27 AM

34 posts, read 24,405 times
Sykesville is not as conservative as some of the people in this thread are making it out to be. There a handful of pockets in Sykesville that voted more blue in 2016 than Edgewater, Pasadena, and even parts of Severna Park did. You guys are making Sykesville sound like it’s the most conservative place in Maryland, when it’s far from that.

Also, Sykesville is not entirely in Carroll County. Parts of it are in Howard County and feed to Marriotts Ridge High School, which has a significant percentage of left-wing people residing in its attendance areas.

Carroll County’s Trump voting percentage was in the 60%s in 2020, and I’m sure that it will be even lower than that tomorrow. It will probably be a “purple” county by the next election cycle or the one following it.

That’s not to say that Sykesville and Carroll County don’t have a significant percentage of Trump supporters, or that it’s a MoCo/HoCo/Western AACo/Baltimore City/PG County/Annapolis like liberal haven—they do, and it’s not the best place to live if you’re openly progressive (I am). But it’s also far from being the worst place to live in MD as a liberal. I’d live in Sykesville or Eldersburg over any part of Pasadena any day of the week.

Sykesville is like any other upper-middle-class/kind of affluent town in MD with a population that is >90% white.

I have very limited knowledge of the public schools in Carroll County, but I know that Century High School, South Carroll High School, and Liberty High School are very good schools that perform very well academically. Some Sykesville residents live in Howard County and attend schools in the Marriotts Ridge High School cluster, which is one of the most affluent public schools in Maryland, and also one of the highest performing. However, the schools that serve Sykesville in Carroll County lack diversity and are like over 90% white. I also wouldn’t even call Marriotts Ridge a “diverse” school despite being only like 45% white, because much of the remaining student body is mostly made up of Asian-Americans, and the socio-economic diversity at Marriotts Ridge HS is extremely low—most of the students who go there are VERY rich. It’s very similar to River Hill High School in Clarksville. Last year when Howard County re-drew attendance boundaries to de-segregate their public schools to even out the county’s poor children among their schools and decrease crowds at the very densely crowded East HoCo schools, there was a lot of pushback from wealthy families in the River Hill HS cluster. Many of them submitted disgusting comments about Black people to HCPS. To me, “diverse” is Reservoir High School, Atholton High School, and Howard High School.

Old 11-25-2020, 06:50 PM

14,078 posts, read 15,662,499 times
I’m considering moving to or near Sykesville as soon as possible. All I’m looking for is a safe area where my neighbors won’t be crazy or criminals (which is what I’m currently dealing with). I don’t give a crap whether they’re conservative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland