Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2020, 09:18 PM

2 posts, read 2,867 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! My partner and I are looking to relocate to the Fort Meade area in the near future. His job would be in the Fort Meade area and I am hoping to get a job in the Howard County Public School System. We originally were looking at apartment rentals in the Piney Orchard area. It was very nice there but I realized it may be too far of a drive to a school in Howard County so we briefly drove west and came across the Columbia area. We did appreciate the stores (especially Wegmans!) in the Columbia area but from what I understand there is also shopping nearby Piney Orchards in Gambrills (we did not get to physically see this shopping area). Can anyone provide pros and cons of Columbia vs Odenton in terms of traffic, etc.? Any tips on specific apartment complexes would be helpful also!

Last edited by Secondstar2020; 07-16-2020 at 09:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2020, 08:56 AM

13,374 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secondstar2020 View Post
..... Can anyone provide pros and cons of Columbia vs Odenton in terms of traffic, etc.? Any tips on specific apartment complexes would be helpful also!
The traffic for the partner would depend on exactly where he would be working, the times of day, and whether he is going thru a military checkpoint. You could test out the commute on Google maps, both with Columbia as a starting point and Gambrills as the starting point. Many people in Columbia do work in the Fort Meade area and Route 32 probably gets crowded. Columbia has many amenities such as pools and gyms that make it attractive. The development in Gambrills is newer, and I am not familiar with it.

If you like Gambrills, why not look at teaching jobs in Anne Arundel County?

Old 07-18-2020, 03:19 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,937,966 times
There's a Wegman's in the shopping center you're referring to. The center is called the Village at Waugh Chapel, and it is on Crain Highway, near Piney Orchard. Howard County is accessible from Piney Orchard by way of Piney Orchard Parkway to Route 175 to Route 32. From there, it's a straight shot into Howard County. Google it. I don't think you could go wrong living in either county.

Old 07-19-2020, 09:11 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,938,904 times
I'd look into Crofton. It's on the other side of RT 3 from the Village at Waugh Chapel (which has Wegman's, Target, etc...google it). You can jump on Rt 3 and get on 32 to Columbia and it's also pretty close to Ft Meade.

Old 07-19-2020, 06:41 PM

2 posts, read 2,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
The traffic for the partner would depend on exactly where he would be working, the times of day, and whether he is going thru a military checkpoint. You could test out the commute on Google maps, both with Columbia as a starting point and Gambrills as the starting point. Many people in Columbia do work in the Fort Meade area and Route 32 probably gets crowded. Columbia has many amenities such as pools and gyms that make it attractive. The development in Gambrills is newer, and I am not familiar with it.

If you like Gambrills, why not look at teaching jobs in Anne Arundel County?
Thank you everyone for your replies! You definitely gave us some things to look into. We’re going to try to travel to the area again this weekend. Someone had mentioned looking into a job for Anne Arundel County, but I haven’t heard back from them at this point.

Old 12-01-2021, 06:40 AM

59 posts, read 44,689 times
I used to live in Columbia, and now live on Crain Highway, which is Route 3. Both are equal in terms of commuting to Fort Meade, about 20 minutes. Both have Wegmans. There’s one on Route 3 and one in Columbia. Odenton and Gambrills are more or less the same area. A lot of what is Gambrills now used to go under Odenton zip code. Piney Orchard and Waugh Chapel are two of the nicer areas of Odenton and Gambrills. Crofton is further south on Route 3 and is nice. Include Severna Park also in your search because it’s an awesome area with good vibes and good schools. You have many good choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland