Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2020, 01:48 PM

23 posts, read 40,424 times

Advertisements

So I know this one has been beat to death but I have a little hiccup compared the other posts I was looking at, my wife will be attending the University of Maryland at College Park.

We will most likely get stationed there mid next year and are looking at purchasing a property for <400k but 300-350 would be more ideal. We should have 2 young children by the time we get there and will be working on a third. I should have a pretty normal schedule 8-4 but don't mind going to the gym earlier to help with the commute. We'd like to be under 30min but could go up to 45 if necessary. We're also not sure we want to stay in the area past this enlistment which will be about 5 years on station.

What we're looking for in this order is
Commute
Low crime / Safety
Nature and outdoors things to do
Walkability of the neighborhood, it'd be a perk if I could bicycle to my job
Good schools - Not as worried about this unless we stay long term as just one of our kids will have just started school by the time we're done, obviously this jumps to the top if we end up wanting to stay in the area

I'm not completely sure how accurate the descriptions below are and I'm sure I'm missing some areas
Annapolis - Gorgeous city and nature in the area but rough commute and potentially a lot of crime, bad schools. Safe area is around the academy?
HoCo - Amazing schools, safe, good commute for me but a bit far for her. Decent neighborhoods for walking in Columbia / Ellicot City.
Around base - Base housing / Fort Meade - Very close, iffy crime very suburban, not by much else. Odenton - similar to the others but has the Marc Stop
Crofton / other areas - Decent commute for both, bit quieter, safer. Probably not much to do in the immediate area

Really appreciate it guys! I did live in Chicago for a bit but I don't think I'm quite ready for the Mad Max traffic situation you guys have out here. I'm excited though seems like there is an abundance of activities and not far from the mountains or beaches in the area.

Last edited by Sillst; 08-08-2020 at 02:11 PM.. Reason: Lost about 95% of post when I tried posting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2020, 10:36 PM

2,205 posts, read 3,874,854 times
Townhomes are available in central MD at your price point. There are many located opposite Fort Meade in Odenton. Many military families live there, either as renters or as owners. The community is fairly new with many townhomes under 20-25 years of age. It meets your criteria concerning commute (to military base), crime/safety and walkability.

One drawback is the MARC Penn line train station in Odenton doesn't stop anywhere near College Park. Your spouse would have to drive to Dorsey, Jessup or Savage to catch the MARC Camden line to College Park. Years ago, I used to take the the Camden line from College Park to Baltimore but found the service to be unreliable. Not sure what it's like today. Here's a link to the Camden line timetable:

https://www.mta.maryland.gov/schedul...le/marc-camden

Driving from Odenton to College Park is doable, especially if your spouse has a typical college student's schedule, i.e., on campus by 10am and off by 2pm.

Old 08-11-2020, 04:18 AM

34,091 posts, read 82,447,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillst View Post
... my wife will be attending the University of Maryland at College Park.
Live close/er to College Park. Drive up to Meade.
Greenbelt is at the top of any list.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenbelt,_Maryland

Old 08-14-2020, 11:10 AM

Thank you all so much for the help!

Now the wife is looking at Federal Hill lol, I think we'll end up closer to base honestly but Zillow is a fickle beast!

Old 08-14-2020, 11:20 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,874,854 times
Quote:

Now the wife is looking at Federal Hill lol, I think we'll end up closer to base honestly but Zillow is a fickle beast!
Crime is an issue in the low income housing projects adjacent to Federal Hill. It spills over to Federal Hill/Otterbein.

Old 08-14-2020, 12:11 PM

Quote:
but Zillow is a fickle beast!
Zillow should be ignored and abused with derisive comments.
Quote:
Now the wife is looking at Federal Hill
Is her UM school downtown? My earlier post assumed the main campus in College Park.

Renting near there in FedHill for a year or two could be nice.
V expensive and not without city issues... but still nice for a busy young couple.

Old 08-14-2020, 02:49 PM

122 posts, read 167,530 times
If your wife will be in College Park, the commute from Federal Hill to there is awful in my opinion.

Old 08-15-2020, 07:06 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,930,470 times
It's become so expensive down there they are coming to Baltimore because they can't live without that city vibrancy while driving the gauntlet of hell everyday.

Old 08-15-2020, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger 68 View Post
It's become so expensive down there ...
Becoming? Where have you been the last 40 years?

Old 08-16-2020, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post
Crime is an issue in the low income housing projects adjacent to Federal Hill. It spills over to Federal Hill/Otterbein.
How bad is the crime issue, any street names? I know a lot of times the homers on the different forums will tend to understate the issues. Would my wife and kid be safe walking around the neighborhood, during the day? At night? Any changes with the recent events I know a lot of my friends living in Chicago have seen a ton of for sales signs in the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Zillow should be ignored and abused with derisive comments.
Is her UM school downtown? My earlier post assumed the main campus in College Park.

Renting near there in FedHill for a year or two could be nice.
V expensive and not without city issues... but still nice for a busy young couple.
Zillow - LOL

College Park - Yes, she seems to think the commute on the Camden MARC wouldn't be terrible. I think one ride there and back will change her mind

Price - Seems within the realm of the BAH but yeah still a city, still dangerous and obviously wouldn't want to send our kids to public schools in the city. I think we'd homeschool, private or move to the burbs by the time they would be going to school.

The expensive comments - It's definitely not like my home area where if your house is >200k..... well it's a freaking sweet house.

Thank you guys all so much guys! Also sorry if this is disjointed, am watching my kid so it's been about 4-5 sessions to actually get this all typed out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland