Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2020, 05:26 PM

6,949 posts, read 11,216,633 times

Advertisements

So, the left now dislikes referendums where the people themselves get to decide who is honored on their public land and wants government officials in election years to make those decisions?

You all need to get over it. Some communities will take down monuments, others have no desire to do so and will not. Live where you all wish accordingly and stop telling other people who they can honor and remember and who they can't.

Old 08-17-2020, 05:52 PM

45,088 posts, read 60,146,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
If elected officials can simply throw up their hands and shirk responsibility over something as simple as a local confederate monument on public land (in the 21st freakin' century) then I don't understand their purpose in the first place.
They're reflecting the sentiments of their constituents. It's not an election year in Talbot for the County Commissioners this year. The next one for those seats is 2022.

When a local elected official tells his constituents the hard truths they don't want to hear he gets his ass voted out of office. One reason I'm now retired from public life.

Old 08-17-2020, 09:55 PM

2,178 posts, read 2,666,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
They're reflecting the sentiments of their constituents.
I wouldn't mind it nearly as much if they voted against the removal because they received X number of constituent complaints about the idea and believed it representative of the county as a whole. This lameass "hmm, let's put it on the ballot!" don't rock the boat pussyfooting is what really pisses me off. If a council member thinks the county should continue having a Confederate monument @ the courthouse then come out and say it. If a council member thinks the county shouldn't then have a basic level of testicular fortitude and vote accordingly. Either way, don't hide like a coward behind this bs punt.

Old 08-17-2020, 10:50 PM

8,299 posts, read 2,923,157 times
Awesome. Common sense prevails.

Old 08-18-2020, 03:15 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,666,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
So, the left now dislikes referendums ...
Nice try at deflection.
You're a smart guy ...I bet you could describe the reality as well as I do.

But you don't want to and the 'pols' in Talbot don't either and that's why 'referendum' is just a screen.

They never should have gone up in the first place.
Keep reminding yourself of that and the rest will follow soon.

Old 08-18-2020, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Nice try at deflection.
You're a smart guy ...I bet you could describe the reality as well as I do.

But you don't want to and the 'pols' in Talbot don't either and that's why 'referendum' is just a screen.

They never should have gone up in the first place.
Keep reminding yourself of that and the rest will follow soon.
I didn't invent cancel culture. I didn't create woke mobs on Twitter. I don't allow doxxing of people on platforms I own. Some people aren't allowed to publically say what they feel right now, and I am not going to blame them for ducking to avoid the looneys who tolerate no opinions except their own.

Thankfully voting is still by secret ballot.

I'm not the monument police. Talbot can honor whoever they want. I don't live there, don't visit there, and am not going to tell the people there what to do.

Old 08-18-2020, 07:34 AM

45,088 posts, read 60,146,874 times
Quote:
I wouldn't mind it nearly as much if they voted against the removal because they received X number of constituent complaints about the idea and believed it representative of the county as a whole. This lameass "hmm, let's put it on the ballot!" don't rock the boat pussyfooting is what really pisses me off. If a council member thinks the county should continue having a Confederate monument @ the courthouse then come out and say it. If a council member thinks the county shouldn't then have a basic level of testicular fortitude and vote accordingly. Either way, don't hide like a coward behind this bs punt.
How do you know they didn't? Talbot is a small County where almost everybody there (except the rural pioneers who came from Montgomery and Howard Counties) knows at least one Commissioner on a personal level, went to school with them, work with them, duck hunt with them, etc.

Those Commissioners go to the grocery store, the Royal Farms store, the Valero gas station where their constituents will stop them and talk. Their phone numbers aren't unlisted and their home home addresses are known, people will call them or stop at the house if they're outside or even knock on the door.

To think that those Commissioners made this decision in a vacuum doesn't realize how retail politics works in a fairly small community.

I mentioned earlier that I've retired from public life. That hasn't stopped me from having people come up to me and ***** about something or other damned near every time I go somewhere. It was so bad when I was still in office that if Mrs. NBP and I wanted to go out to eat that we'd go to another County and even then it would still happen. Now it bothers me more, even though it's not as common, because I am out of the public eye. Hell, it happened not three hours ago when I went to get a newspaper, somebody wanted to complain about a stop sign. I gave him the Mayor's number and told him to call him. I probably was ruder than necessary (I told him to complain to the guy he supported two years ago but added a couple descriptive adjectives) but that was because the person complaining hadn't supported me in the last election.

Last edited by North Beach Person; 08-18-2020 at 08:20 AM..

Old 08-19-2020, 02:04 AM

2,178 posts, read 2,666,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
You all need to get over it. Some communities will take down monuments, others have no desire to do so and will not. Live where you all wish accordingly and stop telling other people who they can honor and remember and who they can't.
Dang Northern scum.

"All we ask is to be let alone."
-Jefferson Davis/WSB

Old 08-19-2020, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Dang Northern scum.

"All we ask is to be let alone."
-Jefferson Davis/WSB
Equating slavery with statuary now?

Anyone here have an actual argument why Baltimoreans and DC suburbanites should decide which statues can be kept in Talbot County?

Last edited by westsideboy; 08-19-2020 at 07:08 AM..

Old 08-19-2020, 08:50 AM

5,107 posts, read 6,043,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
How do you know they didn't? Talbot is a small County where almost everybody there (except the rural pioneers who came from Montgomery and Howard Counties) knows at least one Commissioner on a personal level, went to school with them, work with them, duck hunt with them, etc.

Those Commissioners go to the grocery store, the Royal Farms store, the Valero gas station where their constituents will stop them and talk. Their phone numbers aren't unlisted and their home home addresses are known, people will call them or stop at the house if they're outside or even knock on the door.

To think that those Commissioners made this decision in a vacuum doesn't realize how retail politics works in a fairly small community.

I mentioned earlier that I've retired from public life. That hasn't stopped me from having people come up to me and ***** about something or other damned near every time I go somewhere. It was so bad when I was still in office that if Mrs. NBP and I wanted to go out to eat that we'd go to another County and even then it would still happen. Now it bothers me more, even though it's not as common, because I am out of the public eye. Hell, it happened not three hours ago when I went to get a newspaper, somebody wanted to complain about a stop sign. I gave him the Mayor's number and told him to call him. I probably was ruder than necessary (I told him to complain to the guy he supported two years ago but added a couple descriptive adjectives) but that was because the person complaining hadn't supported me in the last election.

What I like is the people that complain all the time but when an election for Burgess (our Mayor) and council come up for election can't get anyone to run against them! And then start complaining at the next Town meeting how the council is railroading their agenda through. There were only 3 names on the ballot for two council seats. If they had one person running they probably could have take one of the two seats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland