Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2020, 11:26 AM

2,289 posts, read 1,568,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
You've been pretty up front with what you believe, other posters have been obscuring their only acceptable end game outcome with procedural arguments about the sausage making nature of governing.
Of course, I'd have objected, I want to see the statue removed.

That's the opening sentence of the previous post of mine that you quoted above, and now you're implying that I've been "obscuring" my only acceptable*outcome. Puh-leese!

Old 08-21-2020, 01:20 PM

2,193 posts, read 2,688,552 times
Quote:
I am on the side of rural people making their own decisions, whether I personally agree with those decisions or not, rather than our communities constantly being dictated to by our suburban/transplant dominated state.
Aren't you doing the exact same thing in reverse when repeatedly talking trash about communities that choose to tear down their local monuments? Your opinion about Baltimore's Columbus statue is valid, but our opinion about Talbot's statue isn't?

Old 08-21-2020, 03:17 PM

7,017 posts, read 11,307,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
Aren't you doing the exact same thing in reverse when repeatedly talking trash about communities that choose to tear down their local monuments? Your opinion about Baltimore's Columbus statue is valid, but our opinion about Talbot's statue isn't?
You mean the statue destroyed by a mob and tossed into the harbour? I didn't consider illegal destruction of property a "community issue." You are free to make a case for how it is, I guess.

In general I will speak out against Iconoclasty. We tend to look back at those periods in history with great remorse and regret. Whatever evils the people at the time saw in their society are normally muted generations later. The loss of art, literature, history, and so forth denies the people of the future the ability to understand the cultures who were purged. I always keep in mind that as a Christian, it was people of my faith who destroyed the great Library of Alexandria in their attempt to purge the paganism of earlier Roman times. They succeeded in large part, so much of the knowlege, history, and science of the Greco-Roman world was lost forever. It took Europe over 1,000 years to recover.

But anyway, you can see pretty clearly that I respond differently to posts that express the deep rooted opinion that all Confederate symbols should be removed from public ground. More and more of the country is adopting this POV, and Talbot County may vote to do the same. I have less respect for posters who don't state where they live, tip toe around what they believe, try to obscure basic arguments with "well acktually" statements about the sausage making procedures of government. Tell it to me straight and if we agree, we agree. If we disagree, we disagree.

Old 08-21-2020, 05:18 PM

16,554 posts, read 10,626,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Very Man Himself View Post
So, you'd rather accept a bad decision on any issue, made by rural people, over a good decision made by suburban people.
This is one of the things that gets me -- the attitude, common to those on the left, that their way of thinking is "good" or "right" and anyone who disagrees with them is "bad" or "wrong." In your mind, the removal of Confederate statues is good; therefore anyone who may have a different opinion is bad.

You're welcome to your opinion, and you're welcome to express it. But you're not welcome to make decisions on behalf of the people of Talbot County.

Old 08-21-2020, 05:22 PM

16,554 posts, read 10,626,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
NONE should have ever gone up. Anywhere. ALL need to come down. Everywhere.
I used to be kind of indifferent to the whole thing about Confederate statues. But I've gotten to the point where not only would I like to see the ones that are left remain standing, I'd like to see some more put up. Why? Just to annoy liberals. I'm sick and tired of haughty liberals dictating to the rest of us how we should live and what we should believe and forcing their views on the rest of us. Which is especially ironic given that this very accusation is often made against conservatives, especially in the areas of abortion rights and gay rights. "Don't like abortion? Then don't have one." Well, don't like Confederate statues? Then don't look at them.

Old 08-21-2020, 07:50 PM

Quote:
You mean the statue destroyed by a mob and tossed into the harbour? I didn't consider illegal destruction of property a "community issue." You are free to make a case for how it is, I guess.

In general I will speak out against Iconoclasty. We tend to look back at those periods in history with great remorse and regret. Whatever evils the people at the time saw in their society are normally muted generations later. The loss of art, literature, history, and so forth denies the people of the future the ability to understand the cultures who were purged. I always keep in mind that as a Christian, it was people of my faith who destroyed the great Library of Alexandria in their attempt to purge the paganism of earlier Roman times. They succeeded in large part, so much of the knowlege, history, and science of the Greco-Roman world was lost forever. It took Europe over 1,000 years to recover.

But anyway, you can see pretty clearly that I respond differently to posts that express the deep rooted opinion that all Confederate symbols should be removed from public ground. More and more of the country is adopting this POV, and Talbot County may vote to do the same. I have less respect for posters who don't state where they live, tip toe around what they believe, try to obscure basic arguments with "well acktually" statements about the sausage making procedures of government. Tell it to me straight and if we agree, we agree. If we disagree, we disagree.
Not sure what where I live has to do with anything, but for the record I live in Laurel.
As to tip-toeing around what I believe, how many times do I have to say I want the statue down.
You choose to interpret that as some form of superiority of suburbanites over rural folk on my part.
I have zero interest in attempting to change your mind. Is that straight enough for you?

Old 08-21-2020, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
This is one of the things that gets me -- the attitude, common to those on the left, that their way of thinking is "good" or "right" and anyone who disagrees with them is "bad" or "wrong." In your mind, the removal of Confederate statues is good; therefore anyone who may have a different opinion is bad.

You're welcome to your opinion, and you're welcome to express it. But you're not welcome to make decisions on behalf of the people of Talbot County.
If you equate my opinions or anyone else's opinions, as "making decisions" for Talbot County, I'll suggest you are sorely in need of some English Language Comprehension Classes.

Old 08-21-2020, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I used to be kind of indifferent to the whole thing about Confederate statues. But I've gotten to the point where not only would I like to see the ones that are left remain standing, I'd like to see some more put up. Why? Just to annoy liberals. I'm sick and tired of haughty liberals dictating to the rest of us how we should live and what we should believe and forcing their views on the rest of us. Which is especially ironic given that this very accusation is often made against conservatives, especially in the areas of abortion rights and gay rights. "Don't like abortion? Then don't have one." Well, don't like Confederate statues? Then don't look at them.
Re annoying liberals, NBP made a similar remark earlier in the thread. That strikes*me as both infantile, and a waste*of time.

Old 08-22-2020, 06:08 AM

45,379 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Very Man Himself View Post
Re annoying liberals, NBP made a similar remark earlier in the thread. That strikes*me as both infantile, and a waste*of time.
So is complaining about a decision you didn't like in an area where you don't live. The constant virtue signaling is what leads to bus man, and myself to an extent, saying things just to see you get triggered.

Good or bad the Talbot Commissioners made a decision to put the issue to a referendum (and I've already stated more than once that I don't like legislating by referendum) but you just can't let it go because you didn't like it.

You don't give the square root of **** about business impact on the County, this is just yet another issue for you to burnish your SJW credentials. Let's be honest, about 95% of the people who go to Talbot don't stop on their way to Ocean City. And if there are some who boycott the County because of that the boycott will last until they need gas or have to go to the bathroom.

I'd think that with the issues Laurel (if that's really where you live and not just a Google name) faces you'd spend your time addressing them.

Here's the contact information for Mayor Moe:
https://www.cityoflaurel.org/mayor
For the Council:
https://www.cityoflaurel.org/council

Old 08-22-2020, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
So is complaining about a decision you didn't like in an area where you don't live. The constant virtue signaling is what leads to bus man, and myself to an extent, saying things just to see you get triggered.

Good or bad the Talbot Commissioners made a decision to put the issue to a referendum (and I've already stated more than once that I don't like legislating by referendum) but you just can't let it go because you didn't like it.

You don't give the square root of **** about business impact on the County, this is just yet another issue for you to burnish your SJW credentials. Let's be honest, about 95% of the people who go to Talbot don't stop on their way to Ocean City. And if there are some who boycott the County because of that the boycott will last until they need gas or have to go to the bathroom.

I'd think that with the issues Laurel (if that's really where you live and not just a Google name) faces you'd spend your time addressing them.

Here's the contact information for Mayor Moe:
https://www.cityoflaurel.org/mayor
For the Council:
https://www.cityoflaurel.org/council
You apparently don't understand (or choose to ignore), the difference between*"support of a cause" and being "deliberately provocative".

As to letting it go. Since I first posted the link here, I've done nothing but respond to criticism from you, Westsideboy, and Bus Man, and all I said in that first post, was that the issues identified at the link were a possible downside of the council decision, and that set you off.

All I've done since is to defend against attacks on my opinion. I've not attacked your opinion, for fear that you're suffering from a rural inferiority complex. Maybe you're the one who can't let go.*

I don't need to care about the business impact, in order to support the protestors, and I'm certainly not using that to burnish my SJW credentials, magnificent though they are.

Thank you for the Laurel links, I'll look them up on the interwebs, call in and say hi, next time I'm passing.
Your reference*to my veracity and a Google location name, completely undercuts WSB's point about treating people not posting their actual locations differently, thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland