Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2020, 04:22 PM

45,364 posts, read 60,546,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Very Man Himself View Post
"Recent Unpleasantness" is not the only alternative and in the context of US history, it's hardly recent. Why not simply use the most commonly accepted descriptor "Civil War"?
I suspect the trauma is still fresh, for those you reference, because they want it to be fresh, and that's their problem.
Because it makes people like you get their knickers in a twist. C'mon an argument about the War to Destroy Our Way of Life is always entertaining.

Old 08-19-2020, 04:38 PM

2,289 posts, read 1,567,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Sounds like an interesting research project. Let me know what you find out.
I didn't need to do much research, the council voted in 2004 to allow it. Makes the proposal to now put this one to the people, all the more hypocritical.

Maryland town gets statue of famous abolitionist - Travel - Destination Travel - US and Canada | NBC News

Easton officials have talked about putting a Douglass statue up for about 10 years. After debate, the county council voted in 2004 to allow the statue to be built, but an effort to build it stalled. The Frederick Douglass Honor Society sparked up interest again in 2009, with the goal of having the statue raised in 2010, the town's 300th anniversary. But the sculptor needed more time.

Old 08-19-2020, 04:40 PM

2,289 posts, read 1,567,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Because it makes people like you get their knickers in a twist. C'mon an argument about the War to Destroy Our Way of Life is always entertaining.
That might be an admission of trolling intent.

Old 08-19-2020, 04:42 PM

Quote:
That might be an admission of trolling intent.
Ok noob, scold away.

Old 08-19-2020, 04:54 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,304,621 times
Quote:
I didn't need to do much research, the council voted in 2004 to allow it. Makes the proposal to now put this one to the people, all the more hypocritical.

Maryland town gets statue of famous abolitionist - Travel - Destination Travel - US and Canada | NBC News

Easton officials have talked about putting a Douglass statue up for about 10 years. After debate, the county council voted in 2004 to allow the statue to be built, but an effort to build it stalled. The Frederick Douglass Honor Society sparked up interest again in 2009, with the goal of having the statue raised in 2010, the town's 300th anniversary. But the sculptor needed more time.
It's obvious that the council approving the F.D. statue didn't magically make it appear. They seem to have learned it takes a community effort to decide how to honor important natives of Talbot County. Shame it took Talbot that long to honor F.D. too, but that is a sunk cost at this point.

I am glad they learned from their mistake last time and will let the community directly speak on the issue. This is one of the instances when direct democracy is best. Once you put a statue up, it is hard to take it down. Once it is taken down, it is nearly impossible to put it back up. These types of decisions shouldn't be privy to whoever happens to be in elected office at the time. That is far more variable than the overall large sample size of an entire county voting on the measure.

Also, in 2020, secret ballot is a much better method. Make the woke mobsters doxx and cancel the entire county if they want to throw a little fit over the community's decision. Don't give them the easy target of a few elected officials who would face the unfair reality that voting a certain way would the leftist mob to their doorstep (real or virtual or both.)

Understand that people won't put up with this crap for long. Eventually people will stand back up and assert their rights to publicly disagree with leftist intolerance for opposing viewpoints. I see this as a step in that direction.

Old 08-19-2020, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Ok noob, scold away.
Get with the program and called it "The Second American Revolution" like normal people do.

Old 08-19-2020, 05:05 PM

2,193 posts, read 2,687,697 times
Quote:
It's obvious that the council approving the F.D. statue didn't magically make it appear. They seem to have learned it takes a community effort to decide how to honor important natives of Talbot County. Shame it took Talbot that long to honor F.D. too, but that is a sunk cost at this point.

I am glad they learned from their mistake last time and will let the community directly speak on the issue. This is one of the instances when direct democracy is best. Once you put a statue up, it is hard to take it down. Once it is taken down, it is nearly impossible to put it back up. These types of decisions shouldn't be privy to whoever happens to be in elected office at the time. That is far more variable than the overall large sample size of an entire county voting on the measure.

Also, in 2020, secret ballot is a much better method. Make the woke mobsters doxx and cancel the entire county if they want to throw a little fit over the community's decision. Don't give them the easy target of a few elected officials who would face the unfair reality that voting a certain way would the leftist mob to their doorstep (real or virtual or both.)

Understand that people won't put up with this crap for long. Eventually people will stand back up and assert their rights to publicly disagree with leftist intolerance for opposing viewpoints. I see this as a step in that direction.
I dig "woke mobsters" for flair. I dig "seeking a basic level of political accountability" for accuracy.

Old 08-19-2020, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Get with the program and called it "The Second American Revolution" like normal people do.
Dammit, you used my next one.

You know this thread is really getting strained. I think we need a song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kViPyqBms00

Old 08-19-2020, 05:16 PM

2,193 posts, read 2,687,697 times
Quote:

It's a bit weird to blow up at the idea people from Baltimore/DC area have an opinion about Talbot's decision before promptly writing a four paragraph opinion about Talbot's decision, no?

Old 08-19-2020, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
I dig "woke mobsters" for flair. I dig "seeking a basic level of political accountability" for accuracy.
Lol, fair enough on my comment. I feel like I owe the left nothing right now and don't mind getting in my digs.

Basic political accountability takes place at the polling place. There is no room in a democracy for the level of doxxing, incivility, and actual destruction of property and violence we are seeing coming from the left right now.

Politics used to be something Americans took interest in every 4 years, maybe 2 for the most involved, before we got back to our normal lives. Now politics, especially these race/identity political issues are becoming lifestyle choices and full time jobs. If you like the way politics is trending, you can have it. I'm on the record as hating it on both sides, although I see one side as the worse evil.

But really, none of you are curious as to my personal opinion? How I would vote? I'd vote to tear the thing down in my county. My family were Pro-Union. I had two great-great uncles die in Andersonville. Between the war and the mines we lost an entire generation of men, and it had a very negative effect on the family structure and standard of living for my ancestors up until really my dad's generation. I have NO personal love for the Confederacy.

That said, I don't feel I have any right to tell other people how to honor their ancestors. The Civil War was horrific for everyone involved. We honor the dead because they are our ancestors, and in case of most of us, those ancestors were pawns in the games of Kings, not horrible monsters who should be purged. I refuse to let the little guy get forgotten in his own community because some leftists 100s of miles away might be offended.

Last edited by westsideboy; 08-19-2020 at 05:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland