Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2020, 02:50 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,960,879 times

Advertisements

Ocean City is nice further up. I can't ever remember my parents taking us down there even almost fifty years ago and staying close to, or on the boardwalk. They did take us down to the boardwalk for the amusement park rides, but we didn't stay there.

Cape May is really nice...........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2020, 08:19 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,231,290 times
I was in Ocean City two weeks ago, up near Montego Bay. Didn't bother to go down to the boardwalk and the beach that far up was rather sparse as usual. I personally do not see the appeal of the boardwalk, anyways. The amusement park is tiny and although the boardwalk is rather long 75% of the businesses are typical tourist souvenir shops. It's okay if you are into people watching as there are a lot of characters walking up and down but other than that and the ocean I don't see the point.

Much of OC looks as though it is stuck in the '60s and perhaps it was much cooler back then. These days I find the Delaware side to be more enjoyable and fun.

Old 08-25-2020, 10:19 PM

2,282 posts, read 3,929,742 times
Only 377 new cases reported on Tuesday, August 26. We haven't seen that low a number since July 4. The 14-day moving average has fallen below 600 for the first time since mid-July. So we must be doing something right.

Old 08-25-2020, 11:40 PM

3,524 posts, read 2,314,811 times
Fun fact: during peak summer weekends OC city temporarily becomes the second largest city in MD after Baltimore

Old 08-26-2020, 01:28 PM

123 posts, read 108,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger 68 View Post
And lastly why near/on the boardwalk. What the hell is the fascination with the boardwalk on here.......
Honestly to answer all of your questions, it's only about tradition. Why do I go to OC? Why the boardwalk? OC doesn't have the nicest beach, or the best food (maybe the best orange crushes though). Most things are horrendously overpriced, and the traffic can be extremely annoying. But tradition keeps me coming back every year.

I like hitting up the inlet and boardwalk. It's just tradition for me, honestly. Hitting up Thrashers and then Polock Johnnys for an overpriced italian sausage, and a little later Dough Roller for an overpriced slice. I also usually like to throw a few bills away on the arcade with its mostly broken machines, and then give whatever tickets I win to some kid (not mine, they gotta earn theirs!). Maybe sit through the haunted house (usually not though). Walk up to Jolly Rogers on the pier. Usually jump into the water for maybe 20 minutes in between all of that. i'll go into some of the tourist shops and buy something I will never need. Maybe it'll be a dumb t-shirt this year, or a hermit crab for the kid next year. It doesn't matter what we buy, only the act of the buying matters and the 30 minutes of happiness it bestows on my kid or myself.

But, I never stay down on the boardwalk. Usually north of 62nd after the bridge. But if I am down in OC for a week, I like to spend one day walking the boardwalk. One day is enough.

Old 08-27-2020, 07:32 AM

27,546 posts, read 28,630,498 times
I had stuffed flounder and crab stuffed shrimp at Macky's Bayside Bar and Grill. That was pretty good.

It is true that the non-chain restaurants are consistently pricey in Ocean City.

Old 08-27-2020, 08:52 AM

6,999 posts, read 11,293,992 times
I haven't been to OC in over 10 years. When we went, it was typically stay in OC to visit the boardwalk a few times, but go to the beach on Assateague Island. It was always a fun trip, but these days we go to the Outer Banks. It is going to take the better part the day to get to the ocean from Western Maryland anyway, so why not?

Old 08-27-2020, 09:01 AM

123 posts, read 108,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
I haven't been to OC in over 10 years. When we went, it was typically stay in OC to visit the boardwalk a few times, but go to the beach on Assateague Island. It was always a fun trip, but these days we go to the Outer Banks. It is going to take the better part the day to get to the ocean from Western Maryland anyway, so why not?
Very true. I can get to OC in about 2hr 45m from where I live. Makes day trips possible, which I do once or twice a year as well (except this year).

Tack on another 2.5 hr from western MD.. yea.. not a daytrip for me lol

Old 08-27-2020, 09:03 AM

27,546 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
I went to Cape Hatteras one time years ago. That is a nice beach but a considerable drive. I remember being surprised seeing so many small fish in the waves.

Old 08-27-2020, 09:21 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,930,296 times
I go to Ocean City and Assateague at least 2x a month. I've been several times since the pandemic and just got back from my latest trip yesterday. I don't particularly love OC or dislike it. I love the ocean. I much prefer SC/NC/FL/Caribbean, but I make do with OC.

I generally stay around 60th-120th st. I never go on the weekends. Here are my observations:

I last went to the boardwalk mid-week, June. Everyone was respectful. We all had our space. Again, this was during the week, though.

The hotels I stay at are clean and following the rules. The last hotel only let 10 people swim at the pool at the time. The hotel itself was definitely not at capacity. I've been getting great deals on hotels. This makes me sad because I wonder how many are going to be able to survive.

Also, the hotel I last stayed has agreements with other merchants and you can get some cool coupons. I got a free game of mini golf, $10 off several local restaurants, $10 off Fisher's, etc. I used all of them and saved a bunch of money.

I also visit several restaurants in town. All were adhering to the rules. The servers/managers are so worried about being shut down they make sure customers are following rules. I listened to the bartender and server discuss how they don't know how they're going to survive.

I also stopped by Fisher's (not the boardwalk location) and they had a good system in place, too.

I appreciate all the town is trying to do.

What I don't currently like: The freaking winds out of the West.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland