Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2020, 12:41 PM

45,344 posts, read 60,534,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Very Man Himself View Post
No, not persuaded, on balance I'll be voting yes. In this instance I prefer the collective "wisdom" of the legislature over the executive. I find it surprising that an educator argues against education funding. Does that extend to cutting teachers salaries? As to sports betting, although I don't gamble, I see little reason to oppose.

If mail in was the only option, how did the remaining 7% of voting occur? Doesn't compute.
I'm not against "education funding". What I am against is the dishonesty of calling a 9% increase instead of 13% a "cut".

That goes for any category in the budget, not just school funding.

You forget that I also approach this (maybe you didn't know) from the perspective of over 20 years (actually 24) as a local elected official and having to deal with a budget every single one of those years. Many of those years were with Mayors who took what can be considered a "creative" approach to building the budget. That doesn't take into account the other officials who all had their pet projects that "just had to be funded". Which is what will happen if the Legislature can screw around with the numbers.

Now if you ask me if the Governor should have more Legislative oversight of the budget I might sign on to that, although it may not help anyway. If it weren't for Hogan being somewhat of a prick we'd still have a State Retirement System and Highway Revenue Fund on life support from all the borrowing from those funds that O'Malley did over eight years (in the interest of honesty I have to include Ehrlich, Glendenning and Schafer in that but where they diverted millions O'Malley diverted billions).

I'm guessing that the other 7% were true absentee voting and listed as such. Mail in and absentee kept getting conflated as the same (and I believe it was done intentionally to confuse people) until the definition was changed after the primary. As you know, true absentee voting is/was different than what happened with the primary where every registered voter received a ballot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2020, 01:59 PM

2,289 posts, read 1,566,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I'm not against "education funding". What I am against is the dishonesty of calling a 9% increase instead of 13% a "cut".

That goes for any category in the budget, not just school funding.

You forget that I also approach this (maybe you didn't know) from the perspective of over 20 years (actually 24) as a local elected official and having to deal with a budget every single one of those years. Many of those years were with Mayors who took what can be considered a "creative" approach to building the budget. That doesn't take into account the other officials who all had their pet projects that "just had to be funded". Which is what will happen if the Legislature can screw around with the numbers.

Now if you ask me if the Governor should have more Legislative oversight of the budget I might sign on to that, although it may not help anyway. If it weren't for Hogan being somewhat of a prick we'd still have a State Retirement System and Highway Revenue Fund on life support from all the borrowing from those funds that O'Malley did over eight years (in the interest of honesty I have to include Ehrlich, Glendenning and Schafer in that but where they diverted millions O'Malley diverted billions).

I'm guessing that the other 7% were true absentee voting and listed as such. Mail in and absentee kept getting conflated as the same (and I believe it was done intentionally to confuse people) until the definition was changed after the primary. As you know, true absentee voting is/was different than what happened with the primary where every registered voter received a ballot.
Ok, I'll give you the 9/13% education funding increase rationale, but not the reason for denying the legislature more budget oversight.They will be able to add or delete items, but not exceed the amount submitted by the governor.
Even though everyone received (or should have) a mail in primary ballot, there were 44 locations across the state where you could vote in person, including one in Calvert County (of all places).

https://www.elections.maryland.gov/e...0Locations.pdf

Old 10-03-2020, 12:57 PM

2,192 posts, read 2,685,968 times
Quote:
Then why did you single out "youth and minority voters" as having their ballots rejected?

Because that's what the data has shown re: 2020 primary ballot rejections, across multiple studies and across multiple states. Duh. gtfo of here with your "soft bigotry" BS, as if I'm rooting for young and minority voter ballots to be disqualified like some sh!tty GOP operative.

Old 10-05-2020, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
Because that's what the data has shown re: 2020 primary ballot rejections, across multiple studies and across multiple states. Duh. gtfo of here with your "soft bigotry" BS, as if I'm rooting for young and minority voter ballots to be disqualified like some sh!tty GOP operative.
Just as long as "the right people" move in everything's good right? Sorry, had too many interactions with the Brooks Brothers and Prada wearing elitists to not notice that.

Just like "minorities don't know how to get ID".

Old 10-05-2020, 10:49 AM

Mail-in applications sent to 4M voters. So far about 1M have requested. Deadline for receipt (not mailing) of applications is 10/20.

As a measure of the confusion, I had read earlier that local boards would begin counting on 10/01.

Quote:
In Maryland, some ballots could be counted as soon as Monday, officials say Local election boards in Maryland could soon begin counting absentee ballots for the 2020 presidential election under emergency regulations put in place because of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.

Those regulations, previously drafted by state election officials, were reviewed Friday by the General Assembly’s Administrative, Legislative and Executive Review Committee. The rules would allow boards around the state to begin counting returned absentee ballots weeks before that typically is done. (Daily Record)

Old 10-05-2020, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Mail-in applications sent to 4M voters. So far about 1M have requested. Deadline for receipt (not mailing) of applications is 10/20.

As a measure of the confusion, I had read earlier that local boards would begin counting on 10/01.
Yes, there have been conflicting instructions going out. My concern with early counting is leaking of vote totals prior to Nov. 3. Now in Maryland it won't really matter but in some states (PA, WS, MI) it might.

Old 10-07-2020, 04:16 PM

Quote:

Oops X Oops! I now understand that the deadline for receipt of mail-in applications is one week earlier 10/13.

Old 10-08-2020, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Oops X Oops! I now understand that the deadline for receipt of mail-in applications is one week earlier 10/13.
Looks like I'll be cleaning up my mess until well after 11/03.
The deadline to register to vote is Oct. 13, and to request a mail-in ballot Oct. 20.

Goucher College survey says mail-in vs in person will break down 49/51.
1.4M apps for mail-in have been received. 1M. D & 400K R.

Old 10-12-2020, 03:05 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,962,274 times
Quote:
Just as long as "the right people" move in everything's good right? Sorry, had too many interactions with the Brooks Brothers and Prada wearing elitists to not notice that.

Just like "minorities don't know how to get ID".
Brooks Brothers at the thrift all the time...........I never see Prada on the street. Are you that insular?

Old 10-12-2020, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger 68 View Post
Brooks Brothers at the thrift all the time...........I never see Prada on the street. Are you that insular?
Never mind, you aren't worth the bandwidth. Now lecture me or something about where I live or how much I drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland