Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2020, 08:40 AM

45,115 posts, read 60,226,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Now I won't go so far as to claim fraud does not occur when we know that's not the case but this is simply nothing that looks like fraud. You are just looking for things that simply are not there, nothing wrong with this look.

I would think a normal person's first thought, note I said normal person not a Trump fan who has been convinced that voter fraud is rampant when that is simply not the case, would be the thought I had before reading the article. And that was the worker was simply filling in a circle that appeared too light. And again how could he be changing a vote with a pen and not white out? I would think that would be a a normal person's first thought, you can't change a vote that has already been filled in with just a pen and not an eraser or white out.

There is nothing that looks wrong in that video, this is a nothing burger and another example of how Trump has manipulated his followers into believing things that are simply not true.
Except that I'm not a "Trump follower". While I didn't vote for him last time I think this time I'll just leave it blank.

As far as the vote reader machines go, one of the reasons stated for filling in with pen was that they don't read pencil.

I mentioned being a canvasser a couple times. One time was really interesting, this was when the machines were manual where you flipped a toggle to vote, when at the pre-election inspection, it was found that every machine had already registered 200 votes for each of the Democratic County Commissioner candidates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2020, 08:48 AM

2,289 posts, read 1,555,306 times
I suppose it was bound to happen......

Lawmaker takes anti-masker's case:*A Harford County man who was arrested after trying to vote without a mask on Monday is suing the local board of elections, arguing that his arrest was unlawful — and*a Republican lawmaker*is providing legal representation.

https://www.marylandmatters.org/blog...polling-place/

But if you think that's bad.......
Up to 30% of Iowans may be denied a vote, because polling stations are closing due to the "Rona".

Old 10-29-2020, 09:11 AM

6,957 posts, read 11,230,346 times
The fewer moving parts in the election process the better. The fewer human decisions that have to be made, the better. I assume no ill will from an election volunteer "helping out" by darkening a bubble, but there isn't a way to ensure consistency to this approach. He could miss the next one, he could tire out and just assume they are "ok" after hours of working and give "better service" to people who voted earlier in the day rather than later. I'll work this back to my situation where a postal worker's decision to skip my house on the day the primary ballots were due almost cost me and my wife our chance to vote. He didn't skip the next door neighbors house. We did our job, the postal guy didn't do his because the whims of fate blew no junk mail our way on that Tuesday.

We have made voting a commodity, easy to do, readily available, little thought involved in how you purchase. Show up now, show up later. Mail it in, wait in line. Count it now, count it a week after election day. When a product becomes a commodity the quality drops, its more or less disposable and replaceable. I see that in politics today. Look at the choices we have? In a country of 330M people, THAT is our choice? They are candidate equilivant of the cheap toasters I buy that break 12-18 months later like clockwork. The root of my apathy towards voting is rooted in these feelings. I have gotten the motivation to vote before when there were no competative races, but right now I feel like my vote doesn't matter. It has been cheapened, as has the entire campaign and election process, IMO.

Old 10-29-2020, 03:19 PM

16,181 posts, read 10,326,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Except that I'm not a "Trump follower". While I didn't vote for him last time I think this time I'll just leave it blank.

As far as the vote reader machines go, one of the reasons stated for filling in with pen was that they don't read pencil.

I mentioned being a canvasser a couple times. One time was really interesting, this was when the machines were manual where you flipped a toggle to vote, when at the pre-election inspection, it was found that every machine had already registered 200 votes for each of the Democratic County Commissioner candidates.

I'm curious then as to why you posted the link. Seems to me you were making the case that fraud is a big problem and here is an example which of course is the Trump position. If you didn't vote for him you have my respect. For the reasons I have explained this is a non-story.

Old 10-29-2020, 03:22 PM

As for the ballot scanners when I was selling printing I took on the project of printing MD ballots for the 2000 election for a number of MD counties, the hanging chad one. The tolerances were ridiculous, like 1/100th of an inch off and the ballot would not work. We were required to use a specific type of paper that the scanner had to use, it had to be purchased through a specific paper rep. I always thought that sounded fishy but had to comply.

Old 10-29-2020, 03:24 PM

45,115 posts, read 60,226,663 times
Quote:
I'm curious then as to why you posted the link. Seems to me you were making the case that fraud is a big problem and here is an example For the reasons I have explained this is a non-story.
No, my point was that appearances do in fact matter and what should be SOP wasn't being implemented.

When I did the canvassing there were always two people checking the numbers, and how long ago that was is measured in decades, not years.

For absentee ballots there are always two people checking and tallying the ballots. If the numbers don't match it has to be done again.

You can call it a "non-story" all you want because that's what you want to believe, and I may even partially agree with you. But it still illuminated a partial flaw in the system.

Old 10-29-2020, 03:29 PM

Quote:
As for the ballot scanners when I was selling printing I took on the project of printing MD ballots for the 2000 election for a number of MD counties, the hanging chad one. The tolerances were ridiculous, like 1/100th of an inch off and the ballot would not work. We were required to use a specific type of paper that the scanner had to use, it had to be purchased through a specific paper rep. I always thought that sounded fishy but had to comply.
Allegany County had the Diebold machines by 2002. They worked perfectly. Well, perfectly as measured by the recounts we did for 1-C in 2002. I'm not sure going back to paper was an improvement or not. I preferred the machines.

Old 10-30-2020, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
No, my point was that appearances do in fact matter and what should be SOP wasn't being implemented.

When I did the canvassing there were always two people checking the numbers, and how long ago that was is measured in decades, not years.

For absentee ballots there are always two people checking and tallying the ballots. If the numbers don't match it has to be done again.

You can call it a "non-story" all you want because that's what you want to believe, and I may even partially agree with you. But it still illuminated a partial flaw in the system.
Was the SOP not met here? I thought I read where it was. A worker (or volunteer, not sure if they are paid) is simply correcting a ballot that was not filled in all the way, is doing nothing more than making sure the vote counts. It's not a bad look, it's a good look that the vote was protected.

Old 10-30-2020, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Very Man Himself View Post
I suppose it was bound to happen......

Lawmaker takes anti-masker's case:*A Harford County man who was arrested after trying to vote without a mask on Monday is suing the local board of elections, arguing that his arrest was unlawful — and*a Republican lawmaker*is providing legal representation.

https://www.marylandmatters.org/blog...polling-place/

But if you think that's bad.......
Up to 30% of Iowans may be denied a vote, because polling stations are closing due to the "Rona".
I missed this before. A guy is suing over wearing a mask? What an A-hole.

Old 10-30-2020, 11:04 AM

Quote:
I missed this before. A guy is suing over wearing a mask? What an A-hole.
His vote is being supressed. Besides, all of that CO2 he is inhaling affects his ability to make good judgments on how to cast his vote.

If only there was a way for people who didn't want to wear a mask to vote by mail.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland