Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2020, 01:42 PM

14 posts, read 22,726 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are researching retirement destinations, heading that way in the next couple of years.

Now looking at Salisbury for housing affordability, proximity to water (river, ocean, bay, lake), and cultural amenities, like lifelong learning, restaurants, libraries, art galleries, live music, etc. Also we'd like to be able to access outdoor activities close by, like hiking, biking, kayaking. We realize some parts of Salisbury have high crime, so those areas are off our radar. Racial diversity is a plus for us (not going to start a political thread, just stating our preferences). And we hear good things about healthcare and PRMC.

Is anyone living there now who would be willing to share their perspectives on life in Salisbury?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2020, 05:16 PM

45,327 posts, read 60,500,026 times
With Salisbury being a college town you might want to check out Berlin, Denton, Trappe, Fruitland. But none of them will have your "must haves".

With your wish list of "amenities" St. Michael's might be more to your liking.

The Eastern shore is RURAL and except for towns, like St. Michael's, that cater to wealthy retiree tourists and weekend residents you won't see many art galleries or live music events (except at the County Fairs and Ocean City at festival time). Libraries will be the typical small town lending type although many do have internet access. Libraries might also have some art exhibits (state grant funded).

There are several wildlife refuges/Natural Resources Management Areas on the Shore so your hiking would be taken care of. But be aware that those areas are also open to hunting much of the year. Kayaking could be done on the rivers and the Bay but the river kayaking won't be white water and the Bay can turn nasty in a minute, we have ocean kayaks for it.

The biggest festival is likely the Waterfowl Festival in Easton https://tourtalbot.org/event/waterfowl-festival/, although Ocean City has several like Sun Fest https://ococean.com/events and the ever popular Senior Week in June where graduating high school students get so drunk they throw up on the Boardwalk before being arrested for public drunkeness.

Last edited by North Beach Person; 10-14-2020 at 05:55 PM.. Reason: added

Old 10-14-2020, 06:00 PM

20,096 posts, read 8,998,912 times
check out Berlin for sure. "America's coolest small town", --- 10 minutes to the beach

Old 10-16-2020, 02:18 PM

14 posts, read 22,726 times
Thanks for the replies! Just a clarification....

When I say "live music", I don't mean huge coliseums as you'd have in a major city. Just something cool in a bar or restaurant. As you can tell from my handle, I'm a blues lover and actually play out.

I realize that Salisbury is in Delmarva, which is mostly rural. However, we lived in Lancaster PA, which is in the middle of Amish country and "rural". But there were lots of cultural amenities like the ones I listed -- art galleries, libraries, live music. etc. Just wondering if Salisbury would afford some of the same things.

Thanks again!

Old 10-18-2020, 07:11 AM

16,269 posts, read 10,395,161 times
I don't have any first hand experience but if you are comfortable in Lancaster seems Salisbury would be similar. The entire eastern shore has a large Latin community as many came there for the work the farms and chicken processing provides.

Old 10-18-2020, 06:16 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,960,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I don't have any first hand experience but if you are comfortable in Lancaster seems Salisbury would be similar. The entire eastern shore has a large Latin community as many came there for the work the farms and chicken processing provides.
And quite a few Africans......

I have stayed quite on this, but the OP will have more options in Lancaster than Salisbury.

Old 10-18-2020, 08:48 PM

3,765 posts, read 4,098,638 times
Lancaster, PA has been revived and gentrified, and has a few colleges fueling the cultural activities. Salisbury remains a farming community. As suggested above, you should take a good look at the Easton/St Michaels area for the atmosphere and amenities you seek.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland