Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2021, 07:39 AM

7,017 posts, read 11,310,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
How wre the trips down to Urbana in 'Eastern Maryland '?
There is no "Eastern Maryland" only "downstate."

They were OK. It is a familiar route; my in-laws live in Urbana. They are both fully vaccinated so we were able to visit them before hand. We hit some Holy Thursday traffic on the way home, but finding my way from the Myersville exit to Rt. 40 was just like old times!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2021, 03:34 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,093,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post

They were OK. It is a familiar route; my in-laws live in Urbana. They are both fully vaccinated so we were able to visit them before hand. We hit some Holy Thursday traffic on the way home, but finding my way from the Myersville exit to Rt. 40 was just like old times!

You are talking my neck of the woods there. Coming home from relatives near Pittsburgh we get off at Myersville and start looking for the big blue watertower at Middletown!

Old 04-08-2021, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
You are talking my neck of the woods there. Coming home from relatives near Pittsburgh we get off at Myersville and start looking for the big blue watertower at Middletown!
I went the other way, through Myersville and then (somehow) remembered to go down, not through, the subdivision at the end of town to find Rt. 40 west. Middletown is a pretty place, but Rt. 40 alt. isn't my favorite road.

Old 04-11-2021, 05:28 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,663,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post

So no Eastern Shore?

Old 04-11-2021, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
So no Eastern Shore?
"Eastern Shore" is a known term up here. "Eastern Maryland" as the region that is not "Western Maryland" doesn't exist in the local lexicon. Everything east of Sideling Hill, including Hagerstown, is "downstate" to us.

Technically the Eastern Shore is "down state" too, but outside of the (and I quote an ex-coworker) Baltimore-Washington-Hagerstown area.

Old 04-21-2021, 02:52 PM

2,289 posts, read 1,568,841 times
Glad (for now) that I got the Moderna vax. Emergent Bio, got a lot of public money under the previous admin.

https://www.axios.com/vaccines-fda-b...826c14e74.html

Old 06-29-2021, 07:15 AM

Get dem peeps vaxxed.........
MM.....
Quote:
Unvaccinated Marylanders account for nearly all of the state’s recent coronavirus infections, hospitalizations and deaths, Health Secretary Dennis R. Schrader told lawmakers on Monday.

The state’s overall coronavirus picture is significantly improved in recent months, with deaths, hospitalizations and case-counts plummeting, thanks largely to Maryland’s robust vaccination efforts, officials said.

But Schrader told the state Senate’s Vaccination Workgroup that since May 10, unvaccinated people account for 97% of the COVID-19 caseload, 89% of the hospitalizations and 89% of the deaths.

“There are approximately 1.4 million Marylanders [age] 12 and older who are still unvaccinated and remain in serious risk of contracting and being hospitalized by COVID-19,” he told the panel.

Health department staff are poring through survey data to determine why vaccine hesitancy remains a problem.

Around the U.S., health experts continue to track a red-blue divide in vaccination rates, with states that former President Trump carried lagging behind those won by President Biden. The same appears true for counties in Maryland, according to an analysis of state health data.

Old 06-29-2021, 07:41 AM

Keep the masks on..........maybe take a pass on the Olympics......

Quote:
#1 in Health News • 20 articles
Why does the World Health Organization recommend vaccinated people use masks?

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-5748...ource=hs_email

Do the vaccinated need masks as Delta variant spreads? What experts say of WHO advice.
Miami Herald (Moderate Left) • Factual Grade 82% • 3 min read

The World Health Organization suggested on Friday that fully vaccinated people still wear face masks whenever possible, citing the Delta variant’s increased transmissibility and risk of serious Covid-19 across the globe. “People cannot feel safe just because they had the two doses. Vaccines alone won’t stop community transmission,” said Dr. Mariangela Simao, a WHO assistant director-general.
The CDC has yet to publicly respond to the WHO’s advice, but many health experts outside either agency seem to agree with erring on the side of caution. The Delta variant makes up more than 30% of the coronavirus cases in the U.S. Its presence doubles roughly every 11 days.
A Public Health England study found that two weeks following the second dose, which is recommended for full protection, the Pfizer vaccine was 88% effective [against symptomatic Covid-19 caused by the Delta variant]. White House adviser Dr. Fauci said earlier this month that the Moderna shot, at least, should offer similar protection.

Top from different political viewpoint
Should you prepare to put your mask back on?
Deseret News (Moderate Right) • Factual Grade 75% • 2 min read
Top long-read
Five reasons why you don’t need to panic about coronavirus variants.
MIT Technology Review (Center) • Factual Grade 89% • 5 min read
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland