Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2021, 08:04 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,411,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veniceman View Post
Im not disagreeing entirely with you. I'm just saying IMO the numbers of seniors wanting the vaccine are very higher especially in my area.. Sarasota county started a registry yesterday. 50,000 people signed up within the first hour and that number was climbing by 1500 per minute. . I can't vouch for the rest of the state. I'm sure there are people somewhere in this state that want nothing to do with this vaccne but in my area they are in the vast minority.
As I said there will be huge demand no doubt, but there is no way 95% of Florida seniors want it. But this demand is everywhere, which is a good thing, I'm glad to hear people are slowly coming to their senses. We all want this to go away and vaccinations are the way to make this happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2021, 09:28 AM

7,015 posts, read 11,307,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
As I said there will be huge demand no doubt, but there is no way 95% of Florida seniors want it. But this demand is everywhere, which is a good thing, I'm glad to hear people are slowly coming to their senses. We all want this to go away and vaccinations are the way to make this happen.
I sure hope so, but am not sure it will happen. I am disappointed and frustrated with the anti-vax movement, but often wonder if society's emphasis on the flu shot (the least effective vaccine) hasn't damaged the reputation of all the vaccines that are 90% effective and have more or less eliminated deadly diseases from all but vax resistant clusters.

I think if people today REALLY knew what illness such as Measles and Mumps are like, they would have a much different opinion. Measles ain't just those red spots you see in old Bugs Bunny cartoons, it is a moderate to severe respiratory infection with true airborne spread, a huge R value, and kills about 1 out of every 500 kids who catch it.

Old 01-21-2021, 09:37 AM

469 posts, read 466,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post

Ok. My point in posting in the Maryland forum was because someone had recommended that Marylanders could go to Florida to get the vaccine. I'm saying that its darn hard to get it here. It's a moot point now because our governor changed the policy to exclude visitors from getting it here.

Old 01-21-2021, 11:31 AM

45,375 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Back to Maryland.

The Governor may have a "plan" but several of the individual Counties are lessons in cluster****ery. From not being able to figure out the categories to requiring XX number of people to receive the vaccine while only having XX minus thousands of doses available to having infection rates jumping all over the place.

Old 01-22-2021, 07:47 AM

5,114 posts, read 6,092,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Back to Maryland.

The Governor may have a "plan" but several of the individual Counties are lessons in cluster****ery. From not being able to figure out the categories to requiring XX number of people to receive the vaccine while only having XX minus thousands of doses available to having infection rates jumping all over the place.

The big problem is lack of medicine. Although 65+ opens up on Monday our County has said they have no idea when they will begin making appointments for group 1c (65+). They want to finish the 75+ group first and say they currently have no idea when that will be based on the current availability.

All the announcement by Hogan did was build up false hopes. I believe he made it based on the Federal announcement that they were going to release the stockpile of 'second doses' that had been set aside. But hours later it came out that those doses had already been shipped out and there was no stockpile being released.

Old 01-22-2021, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
The big problem is lack of medicine. Although 65+ opens up on Monday our County has said they have no idea when they will begin making appointments for group 1c (65+). They want to finish the 75+ group first and say they currently have no idea when that will be based on the current availability.

All the announcement by Hogan did was build up false hopes. I believe he made it based on the Federal announcement that they were going to release the stockpile of 'second doses' that had been set aside. But hours later it came out that those doses had already been shipped out and there was no stockpile being released.
And yet the school systems have pretty much been ordered to reopen March 1. This is in the midst of a vaccine shortage and infection rates of 13% (Calvert and Prince George's. I think Montgomery might be at 11%).

Oh, and it came out yesterday that half the vaccines administered in Prince George's went into Montgomery County arms.

Old 01-22-2021, 11:24 AM

2,193 posts, read 2,688,552 times
I don't understand why Hogan's announced 1B, 1C, and the return to in-person classes while ignoring a complete lack of doses to support any of it. Am I missing something? Is he just hoping to shift blame/responsibility to county level governments? "I don't know what's wrong, grandma, I told the counties they could vaccinate you! Better take it up with them!"

Old 01-22-2021, 12:57 PM

7,015 posts, read 11,307,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
I don't understand why Hogan's announced 1B, 1C, and the return to in-person classes while ignoring a complete lack of doses to support any of it. Am I missing something? Is he just hoping to shift blame/responsibility to county level governments? "I don't know what's wrong, grandma, I told the counties they could vaccinate you! Better take it up with them!"
It may be a county issue. My wife is in 1-B and has an appointment set up for next week.

Old 01-22-2021, 03:08 PM

2,193 posts, read 2,688,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
It may be a county issue. My wife is in 1-B and has an appointment set up for next week.
The state's starting 1C in three days. Even the counties with few 1A residents are nowhere near through 1B. The state is just creating unnecessary confusion and false hope by moving faster than the reality on the ground, as far as I can tell.

Old 01-22-2021, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
The state's starting 1C in three days. Even the counties with few 1A residents are nowhere near through 1B. The state is just creating unnecessary confusion and false hope by moving faster than the reality on the ground, as far as I can tell.
And Steny just a few minutes ago sent out a press release telling people to get the vaccinations in their County of residence while some of them have the school systems, health care workers and first responders getting them where they work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland