Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2021, 02:20 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,929,742 times

Advertisements

https://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2021/...20-study-says/

Quote:
BALTIMORE (WJZ) — Maryland is among the top 10 states people moved away from in 2020, according to a new study.

United Van Lines released its 44th Annual National Migration Study Monday, which revealed in 2020 Americans continued to move out West and down South. The coronavirus pandemic did factor into and accelerated some of those moves.

According to the study, 41% left for a job and 26% of people moved out of Maryland to retire. Nineteen percent of people left because of family and 11% moved out for lifestyle.

As for the top reasons people moved into Maryland, 56% came to the state for a job and 23% came in for family.

Of the people moving out 54% were over the age of 55.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2021, 08:29 AM

The study can be found at the following link:

https://www.unitedvanlines.com/newsr...ers-study-2020

The outbound percentages appear incorrect. The total percentage exceeds 100 percent. Perhaps more than one reason was cited.

Anyway, total inbound = 44.8 percent. Total outbound = 55.2 percent.

The most mobile group, both inbound and outbound, were persons earning $100,000 or more per year. The inbound percentage was 59 percent, and the outbound percentage was 65 percent. The difference between inbound and outbound increases as the income level rises.

Stats are available going back to calendar year 2013.

Old 01-08-2021, 08:43 AM

45,336 posts, read 60,500,026 times
With the Boomer generation retiring in ever larger numbers the age of departures isn't surprising. You might be able to correlate that with why they came here originally. If for work then leaving upon retirement may not be surprising.

It would be interesting to see a breakdown of Maryland natives who leave.

Old 01-08-2021, 10:06 AM

2,289 posts, read 1,565,832 times
Atlas, although the 3rd largest, is just one of many movers. What you need to establish a true picture is USPS change of address data.

https://www.movingcompanyreviews.com...-us-and-canada

Old 01-08-2021, 01:19 PM

4,139 posts, read 4,525,447 times
I was a Baltimore native who left five years ago due to MD’s high cost of living. My brother left when he retired in April for the same reason. Maryland has simply gotten too expensive and there are other States much more affordable with less traffic and fewer quality of life problems.

Old 01-08-2021, 04:17 PM

20,099 posts, read 8,998,912 times
like Jersey, when you retire, unless your tied into some family situation, many want to leave. I remember registering an 8 year old pick up truck in Maryland was $187. So many more examples....

Old 01-08-2021, 06:59 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,648,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
With the Boomer generation retiring in ever larger numbers the age of departures isn't surprising. You might be able to correlate that with why they came here originally. If for work then leaving upon retirement may not be surprising.

LOL, seems like another anti Maryland post . Stats with no logic behind them.

Old 01-08-2021, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post

Who is a Maryland native?

I moved to Maryland in 1978 and left the state on 3 separate occassions (NJ, PA and VA). All in all, I've probably lived here for 38 out of the last 42 years. I'd like to leave the state after retirement. Although I'm not a native, I should have some sort of "seniority status" that puts me above the transients.

Based on my interaction with many Marylanders, I get the impression that many of the people treated as Maryland natives were actually from out of state, moving and starting families here while working for the federal government and industries servicing the federal government. I've known quite a few that have left Maryland. In some cases, their children have left as well, since there was nothing tying them to Maryland.

Last edited by NJ2MDdude; 01-08-2021 at 10:00 PM..

Old 01-08-2021, 10:45 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,231,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post

I moved to Maryland in 1978 and left the state on 3 separate occassions (NJ, PA and VA). All in all, I've probably lived here for 38 out of the last 42 years. I'd like to leave the state after retirement. Although I'm not a native, I should have some sort of "seniority status" that puts me above the transients.

Based on my interaction with many Marylanders, I get the impression that many of the people treated as Maryland natives were actually from out of state, moving and starting families here while working for the federal government and industries servicing the federal government. I've known quite a few that have left Maryland. In some cases, their children have left as well, since there was nothing tying them to Maryland.
Don't worry, it's not as bad as Maine where if you do not have at least three generations buried in a local cemetery you ain't from there.

Old 01-09-2021, 06:14 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,960,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post

Everybody in my Family.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland