Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2008, 07:48 AM

8 posts, read 17,954 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

My wife and I are relocating to MD. She has a job in Riverdale. We're thinking of moving to Laurel as the housing prices look half way sane and she would be able to ride MARC to work. I might have a line on an IT job in Alexandria, so I'm trying to determine how insane the commut would be from Laurel to Alexandria. The gig is rotating shifts, so two of the three rotations would be in off hours. If it's too insane does anyone have other suggestions on where to move with a decent commute and halfway sane (200 - 275K) housing prices?

Thanks in advance,
Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 01:54 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,799,414 times
I don't think it is insane, but on some days it will feel like it.

Old 05-09-2008, 06:19 AM

156 posts, read 786,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itmtmd View Post
Hi Everyone,

My wife and I are relocating to MD. She has a job in Riverdale. We're thinking of moving to Laurel as the housing prices look half way sane and she would be able to ride MARC to work. I might have a line on an IT job in Alexandria, so I'm trying to determine how insane the commut would be from Laurel to Alexandria. The gig is rotating shifts, so two of the three rotations would be in off hours. If it's too insane does anyone have other suggestions on where to move with a decent commute and halfway sane (200 - 275K) housing prices?

Thanks in advance,
Brian
You will end up wanting to "off" yourself after the first week. The WW bridge is a nightmare virtualy all the time. If you decide to go north, there is non-stop construction and jammed traffic at all hours.

Old 05-09-2008, 08:12 AM

8 posts, read 17,954 times
Thanks for your responses. Does anyone have an alternate suggestion on where to move that would be a decent commute to both Alexandria and to Riverdale?

Thanks Again,
Brian

Old 05-09-2008, 08:21 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,799,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itmtmd View Post
Thanks for your responses. Does anyone have an alternate suggestion on where to move that would be a decent commute to both Alexandria and to Riverdale?

Thanks Again,
Brian
I would think NW DC or Arlington, but the cost would be way more than Laurel or Bowie. Be careful of the hyperbole here. The Wilson Bridge area will improve somewhat when the construction is completed. Another thought is that you can live close to any Metro line and commute to both Riverdale Park (College Park Metro and bus combo right?) or to Alexandria by Metro. That would give you more options.

Old 05-09-2008, 08:28 AM

33 posts, read 186,511 times
Depending on where in Alexandria you need to get, and what times you need to commute, the MARC trains may work for you as well. MARC/VRE have an agreement (http://www.vre.org/service/marc.htm - broken link) to honor each others' tickets in directions opposing rush hour (ie - your MARC ticket from Laurel to Washington in the morning would be valid to get you to from Washington to Alexandria on the VRE) Just check the schedules on the MARC Camden line (they don't really have mid-day service) and your off-peak commutting by car (especially at night) will not be as much of a headache.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland