Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2008, 08:34 AM

1 posts, read 2,951 times

Advertisements

Im having a hard time decided where to purchase a home. I am a 25 year old single female and I work in DC. Im looking for an area that is clean, safe and likely to substantially increase in value over the next 5 years. Considering what im looking for would you recommend Mt. Vernon or Harford County?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2008, 08:50 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,306,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolecpa View Post
Im having a hard time decided where to purchase a home. I am a 25 year old single female and I work in DC. Im looking for an area that is clean, safe and likely to substantially increase in value over the next 5 years. Considering what im looking for would you recommend Mt. Vernon or Harford County?
Harford and Mt/ Vernon are definitely two vastly different areas in terms of culture and people. I know the homes in Mt. Vernon are pricey compared to HC, but I'm sure a home in the former will increase in value faster than a property the latter.

I would more than likely say Mt. Vernon, as your commute to DC would be a lot easier than living in Harford Co, as you are not far from MARC, if that is your intended mode of transportation to DC daily. Living here will also minimize your need for a car, as opposed to residing in Harford.

Additionally, residing in Mt. Vernon places you within easy access of the city's cultural ammenities, dinning, nightlife and other attractions. MT. Vernon is a beautiful community with lot's of history. In a way, it reminds me a lot of the Dupont Circle area in DC with it's historic homes, galleries and overall vibe.

Old 05-12-2008, 09:11 AM

866 posts, read 2,628,314 times
I agree with Gil and recommend Mt. Vernon, as long as you enjoy city living. In my opinion, Harford County is just so far away to commute to DC. It's doable, but it would require a very long car or train trip. If you find the suburbs are for you, I suggest looking south of Baltimore in Anne Arundel County (perhaps the Odenton area) or in Howard County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland