Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Maryland a NorthEastern state?
yes 7 17.50%
no, its something else (Mid-Atlantic or a border state) 33 82.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2021, 08:38 AM

45,380 posts, read 60,575,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
#1 - I call the Town Hall. They will fix it. Then rattle my congress critters cage again to ask why we can't get our fair share of federal infrastructure dollars to help replace our 125 year old water main (Baltimore and Hagerstown don't seem to have that problem)

#2 - Sherriffs Department because our Town pays for 3 'Town Deputies' to b e assigned primarily to the town but 911 is centralized. But I have some neighbors who would simply pull down the Shotgun and step out and say 'What are y'all doing there?' (They would have their spouse or kids call 911)
#3 - Make sure I have the back gate clear because they will close Main Street so I won't be able to get in or out of my main driveway and I will have friends coming in to enjoy the party. Schedule Employees? I just tell the kids they have to work that day and get a couple cousins to drive in from the farm to help.
With the migration from the "important" parts of Maryland happening to you guys you'll be changing.

The water main story was funny, it wasn't even ours but Chesapeake Beach's. And yes, Steny's office was called and they called us.

Don't be so sure about Baltimore, they're still digging up hollow log water mains occasionally.

As far as Maryland being Southern, I haven't seen any monuments to the Confederate war dead in the Northeast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2021, 09:40 AM

5,114 posts, read 6,093,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
With the migration from the "important" parts of Maryland happening to you guys you'll be changing.

We already have that. Everyone wants to move away from MoCo but then they start complaining about not having all the amenities they had down there. Oh and as soon as they move in they want to stop any other development because 'it is ruining the countryside'

Quote:
As far as Maryland being Southern, I haven't seen any monuments to the Confederate war dead in the Northeast.

Out here it is never more than a few miles from the VA or PA line. I tell people you can tell what state you are in by looking at the town square. If the monument was erected by the GAR (Grand Army of the Republic) you are in PA. If it is erected by the Daughters of the Confederacy you are in VA. If it is for the Spanish American or WWI veterans you are in Maryland because it was always too contentious to erect a monument to the Civil War veterans. We had units on both sides. The Maryland monument at Antietam is one of the very few on a battlefield to honor units of both armies. It was done that way to get it through the State Assembly back in the 1890s.

Old 07-21-2021, 10:04 AM

4,606 posts, read 3,000,886 times
Quote:
It wasn't that long ago that the south was solidly Democratic.

Being republican is 'the new south' of the post Vietnam era.

True, but those were the days of the split-personality Democratic Party...
the one which included both Northern liberals and Southern conservatives.

Old 07-21-2021, 10:25 AM

178 posts, read 162,185 times
Quote:
Many people forget (or never knew) that Baltimore was the 2nd largest immigration port (Behind New York, Ellis Island) in the hey day of immigration. While most immediately went west via the B&O to future lives in the Midwest some stayed in the local area. But over the years they have spread out throughout the region and beyond. It has been over 100 years since the immigration era and the desire to remain concentrated in ethnic enclaves has disappeared since we are now several generations into their integration into American society
Yes, and "Little Italy" had that statue of Columbus because they are literally the only ethnicity that cares about Columbus, due to the history of mistreatment against them by the WASP majority.

Old 07-21-2021, 10:32 AM

178 posts, read 162,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
Considered by whom? It was a war, there was the North and the South, there were no in-betweens.
Kentucky was "neutral".

Understand that all histories are narratives with an injection of biases and a lot of "lost data" because individuals that did not enter the public eye had their (mostly mundane) lives and history not get recorded onto the record.

The paradigm of the past before the Civil War was epitomized by "the United States are". Each state was literally its own country(the still are, as their courts determine every the federal government does not bother with like dog bites, property maintenance, car accident payouts etc) who willingly bound themselves to the federal government.

This is why the current media on all sides using "another Civil War rhetoric" are talking fully out of their behinds. The money from the Federal government is FAR TOO GOOD these days for any state to choose secession.

Old 07-21-2021, 01:57 PM

10,109 posts, read 9,971,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Nice try.....voting Democratic doesn't cut it. I'm still waiting......

The Greek community in the Baltimore metropolitan area numbered 16,764 as of 2000, making up 0.7 percent of the area's population.[4] In the same year Baltimore city's Greek population was 2,693, 0.4% of the city's population

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histor...s_in_Baltimore

In 2013, an estimated 15,828 Polish-Americans resided in Baltimore city, 2.5% of the population

In 2013, an estimated 16,581 Italian-Americans resided in Baltimore city, 2.7% of the population.

These numbers are a joke.....where are all these Poles, Italians, and Greeks that you see in the Northeast?
These are way closer to numbers you would see in the South vs. the Northeast,

There is a "Little Italy" in Arkansas, in West VA, and in San Diego........

Still waiting......MD is SOUTHERN.
The Baltimore area has a higher percentage of Polish and Irish ancestry than the NYC area. You used Baltimore City, but when I use Baltimore county vs NYC, The County has a higher percentage of Greek, Polish, Irish, and the exact same percentage of Italians. Baltimore County also has a higher percentage of Irish, Italian, Russian than Chicago.

Your assertion is incorrect, and your premise lacks context. Ethnic whites have been fleeing to the city since the 1950s.

I agree that Baltimore is still southern, however.

Old 07-21-2021, 05:03 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,873,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
The Baltimore area has a higher percentage of Polish and Irish ancestry than the NYC area. You used Baltimore City, but when I use Baltimore county vs NYC, The County has a higher percentage of Greek, Polish, Irish, and the exact same percentage of Italians. Baltimore County also has a higher percentage of Irish, Italian, Russian than Chicago.

Your assertion is incorrect, and your premise lacks context. Ethnic whites have been fleeing to the city since the 1950s.

I agree that Baltimore is still southern, however.
Yeah, you're right percentages are not great because they are so small US wide (even in NYC). In terms of total numbers, Baltimore's numbers are tiny compared to NYC, Chicago, etc. Chicago (Chicagoland) has the largest Polish population of any city outside of Warsaw. Chicago has the third or fourth largest Italian American population. Huge Greek population too.

What source/link did you look at? Bottom line is that the ethnic %s may be low no matter what city you go to. But Baltimore (including the County) had tiny white ethnic communities compared to what you see in the Northeast or Chicago.

Old 07-21-2021, 07:05 PM

10,109 posts, read 9,971,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Yeah, you're right percentages are not great because they are so small US wide (even in NYC). In terms of total numbers, Baltimore's numbers are tiny compared to NYC, Chicago, etc. Chicago (Chicagoland) has the largest Polish population of any city outside of Warsaw. Chicago has the third or fourth largest Italian American population. Huge Greek population too.

What source/link did you look at? Bottom line is that the ethnic %s may be low no matter what city you go to. But Baltimore (including the County) had tiny white ethnic communities compared to what you see in the Northeast or Chicago.
They are larger metros, so of course they will have more in terms of raw numbers. They don't have more percentage wise, however, which was your original argument. NYC dwarfs every other City/Metro ethnic populations, so does that mean that Chicago, Boston and Philly ethnic populations are tiny? If Baltimore County has higher raw numbers than a NE city, would you say that that city's numbers are tiny?

Old 07-21-2021, 07:13 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,873,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
They are larger metros, so of course they will have more in terms of raw numbers. They don't have more percentage wise, however, which was your original argument. NYC dwarfs every other City/Metro ethnic populations, so does that mean that Chicago, Boston and Philly ethnic populations are tiny? If Baltimore County has higher raw numbers than a NE city, would you say that that city's numbers are tiny?
Nope. Baltimore County would need to have higher numbers than the county of the NE city. DC actually a larger Italian population than Baltimore if I am remembering correctly.

NYC does not dwarf Chicago in its Polish population....

Last edited by personone; 07-21-2021 at 07:33 PM..

Old 07-22-2021, 05:34 AM

59,040 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
#1 - I call the Town Hall. They will fix it. Then rattle my congress critters cage again to ask why we can't get our fair share of federal infrastructure dollars to help replace our 125 year old water main (Baltimore and Hagerstown don't seem to have that problem)

#2 - Sherriffs Department because our Town pays for 3 'Town Deputies' to b e assigned primarily to the town but 911 is centralized. But I have some neighbors who would simply pull down the Shotgun and step out and say 'What are y'all doing there?' (They would have their spouse or kids call 911)
#3 - Make sure I have the back gate clear because they will close Main Street so I won't be able to get in or out of my main driveway and I will have friends coming in to enjoy the party. Schedule Employees? I just tell the kids they have to work that day and get a couple cousins to drive in from the farm to help.
"to ask why we can't get our fair share of federal infrastructure dollars to help replace our 125 year old water main"

The crux of the problem.

Why should the tax payers from the other 49 states PAY to fix a LOCAL problem?

I KNOW MD taxes are high, so why didn't THEY maintain the "125 year old water main" or replaced it THEMSELVES YEAR AGO?

I KNOW taxes went to public works dept. for MAINTENANCE. What happened to it?

Why aren't YOU holding YOUR LOCAL politicians feet to the fire for the problems THEY ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR?

At some point Americans have to realize the fed is NOT responsible for LOCAL problems and have to STOP begging for money to fix THEIR problems and to hold their LOCAL politicians feet to the fire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland