Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2021, 07:44 AM

5,102 posts, read 6,016,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPNative View Post
I'm a "Committed Conservative", although I really, really, really, really dislike Donald Trump and his supporters.

The "Who they are" description at the end of the article describes me almost perfectly, though.

A true conservative would dislike Trump. He is not, and has never been a conservative
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2021, 09:01 AM

899 posts, read 531,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
It is an interesting quiz, but I noticed the answers to question #2 about immigration and the question about religion and government toggle my results between all three conservative groups. I guess I am not a great fit for any of them.

Which makes sense.

The biggest "evolution" in my political opinions over the last 4 years as been becoming very skeptical of big business. When billionaires have the money to take vanity space flights while their workers have to wear diapers to avoid being fired, we have a problem. When corporations embraced woke talking points and cancel culture, it is clear they are taking sides in politics, and it sure isn't my side. So, I guess I am best described as "Anti-Left" and excepting Trump himself, any Republican is a better choice for me. It was not always that way.......like as recently as 2018 my ballot was a mix of Republicans, Democrats, and third parties. 2020 was straight ticket with one race left blank because "none of the above" wasn't an option.
Most of the conservative-leaning people I speak to are adopting ambivalent attitudes towards big business, more so than is captured in the Pew surveys, methinks. Historically, the right was strongly supportive of business as a manifestation of American individualism and free will, and that thinking is still ingrained in the minds of conservative-leaning people as the default assumption. But big business has changed rapidly and in a short period. They reaped the benefits of decades (centuries) of support from conservatives and conservative politicians who curbed the excesses of regulation and taxes, and then have suddenly turned around and are increasingly adopting distinctly anti-conservative woke stances and openly allying themselves with the Democratic establishment. They've become political in ways that would never have been tolerated 20 years ago when the norm was that businesses were supposed to be apolitical. The tech companies are a splendid example of the collapse of neutrality in corporations, going out of their way to help progressive and Democratic causes and openly working to censor/stifle conservative views.

And it's also increasingly difficult to ignore the growing disparities of wealth and incomes between the limousine liberal elites and the common workers and how it's leading to one rule for them and another rule for the workers (too easily seen with the elites partying without masks while all the servers and cleaners are masked).

It will be interesting to see what happens going forward. Are we witnessing the beginning of a breakup between big business and conservative America? It's intriguing that the party of FDR may be becoming the party of globalist big business elites while the party of Coolidge is becoming the party of common working men.

Old 11-11-2021, 11:36 AM

2,289 posts, read 1,544,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DXBtoFL View Post
Most of the conservative-leaning people I speak to are adopting ambivalent attitudes towards big business, more so than is captured in the Pew surveys, methinks. Historically, the right was strongly supportive of business as a manifestation of American individualism and free will, and that thinking is still ingrained in the minds of conservative-leaning people as the default assumption. But big business has changed rapidly and in a short period. They reaped the benefits of decades (centuries) of support from conservatives and conservative politicians who curbed the excesses of regulation and taxes, and then have suddenly turned around and are increasingly adopting distinctly anti-conservative woke stances and openly allying themselves with the Democratic establishment. They've become political in ways that would never have been tolerated 20 years ago when the norm was that businesses were supposed to be apolitical. The tech companies are a splendid example of the collapse of neutrality in corporations, going out of their way to help progressive and Democratic causes and openly working to censor/stifle conservative views.

And it's also increasingly difficult to ignore the growing disparities of wealth and incomes between the limousine liberal elites and the common workers and how it's leading to one rule for them and another rule for the workers (too easily seen with the elites partying without masks while all the servers and cleaners are masked).

It will be interesting to see what happens going forward. Are we witnessing the beginning of a breakup between big business and conservative America? It's intriguing that the party of FDR may be becoming the party of globalist big business elites while the party of Coolidge is becoming the party of common working men.
I think you're mostly correct but not completely.

1: employees in big business are driving employers to take stances.

2: Employers likely see the Republicans on the wrong side of history at least on social issues.

3: Who would not have tolerated this 20 years ago?

Separately, I'm amused by the difference in the number of clicks on the thread and the number of quiz results.
I'll bet every individual who was curious enough to click, also took the quiz.....

Old 11-11-2021, 01:49 PM

16,091 posts, read 10,249,596 times
I consider myself a moderate liberal, left of center. I checked in at Democratic Mainstay and that sounds about right. I replied how I felt about the Republican Party with the lowest rating possible. I'm pretty disgusted with how they have behaved, particularly post January 6th. I'll leave it at that.

Old 11-11-2021, 02:30 PM

148 posts, read 240,874 times
Committed Conservative.

Old 11-11-2021, 03:34 PM

6,921 posts, read 11,169,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I consider myself a moderate liberal, left of center. I checked in at Democratic Mainstay and that sounds about right. I replied how I felt about the Republican Party with the lowest rating possible. I'm pretty disgusted with how they have behaved, particularly post January 6th. I'll leave it at that.
My wife checked in as "Stressed Sideliner" in part because she is a true moderate with policy positions that are 1/2 GOP and 1/2 DEM supported. She also tanked her approval of both parties.

After the VA governor win and enough GOP Congressman/Senators supporting the compromise spending bill, I gave the GOP a favorable rating. Two weeks ago I would have tanked them both, but my hope is that the blue print of the last couple weeks: Stand firm on social issue positions, but compromise on passing bills so government can operate has some sticking power.

Old 11-11-2021, 05:34 PM

5,288 posts, read 5,956,291 times
Progressive Liberal. Shocker, I know.

Old 11-11-2021, 07:15 PM

3,381 posts, read 3,307,257 times
I also got ambivalent right taking that quiz on my views, which makes sense to me.

Old 11-11-2021, 09:02 PM

1,506 posts, read 1,008,018 times
Democrat Mainstay here.

Old 11-11-2021, 11:33 PM

2,172 posts, read 2,654,672 times
Establishment Liberal. Accurate enough, I suppose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland