Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2008, 06:38 PM

3 posts, read 21,039 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are relocating to the Baltimore/DC area in august.
We're from Chicago and my wife will be working in DC, and I will be attending the Maryland Law School in Baltimore.
We're thinking of living somewhere in between the two cities - around 20~30 minutes commute both ways.
We're looking for a nice quiet suburban town, that's safe, quiet, close to a decent mall etc. We do not have kids so schools are not a big issue.
Thanks in advance for your input
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2008, 12:25 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
20-30 minutes is not possible. The 2 cities are a little too far apart for that.

Old 05-18-2008, 02:07 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,341,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fstik View Post
We're from Chicago and my wife will be working in DC, and I will be attending the Maryland Law School in Baltimore.
We're thinking of living somewhere in between the two cities - around 20~30 minutes commute both ways.
We're looking for a nice quiet suburban town, that's safe, quiet, close to a decent mall etc. We do not have kids so schools are not a big issue.
Although it's been 15 years ago now,my family lived for about nine years at Severn, MD near Ft. Meade in a very nice addition called The Provinces. We liked it very much. I drove the B/W Parkway to Hyattsville, MD (inside Beltway) every day. Severn (in Anne Arundel County) used to be quite nice with very affordable homes and a very low crime rate. Maybe someone who still lives in the area can update my report.

Moderator cut: Please to use the DM feature to contact other members with recommendations.

It's been a lot of years since we were in Maryland, and in looking at Linda's website, I am stunned at how those homes have gone up in value. In 1995 we had a beautiful 2100+ square foot rancher on a corner lot in the Provinces that we sold for $139,000. It would appear that that our home would be worth almost three times that now.

Last edited by 7th generation; 07-06-2008 at 07:05 PM..

Old 05-18-2008, 03:58 PM

2 posts, read 13,365 times
I was in the same situation years ago. We settled on Columbia, MD. Got a town house and have loved it. I commute to Baltimore and the wife to DC. The mall out here is wonderful and it is quiet enough that you forget you live in two big cities. Feel free to ask any questions. good luck.

Old 05-19-2008, 12:13 PM

3 posts, read 19,038 times
My family lives in University Park, just outside of DC. You can get a SFH for about $450k, which is reasonable for the Washington area. It's about 40 minutes from UP to Baltimore, and the DC commute is a quick walk to the metro. You may also want to check Hyattsville and College Park - the entire area has been undergoing a substantial renovation since we moved here in '01.

Old 05-19-2008, 04:03 PM

3 posts, read 21,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markcomo View Post
I was in the same situation years ago. We settled on Columbia, MD. Got a town house and have loved it. I commute to Baltimore and the wife to DC. The mall out here is wonderful and it is quiet enough that you forget you live in two big cities. Feel free to ask any questions. good luck.
Thanks markcomo...
We're actually planning on living in a rental apartment / condo for a few years and checked various websites and came up with the following places to rent.

We found these places

Dominion at Eden Brook & Kings Place
Avalon at Symphony Glen & Fairway Hills
Island Club
Club Merion

What's your take?
Are these places safe? in and surrounded by decent neighborhoods?

Thanks in adcance markcomo

Old 05-20-2008, 05:38 AM

350 posts, read 1,645,582 times
My brothers live at Club Merion- they really like it. The complex is a large, but they said it's well insulated so they don't hear the neighbors above them walking around. The complex also throws get togethers for the residents occasionally. You have to enter a code to get in, it seems like a nice place.
My brother used to live at the Island Club, and it was okay, but he likes Club Merion better.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:26 AM

27 posts, read 111,758 times
I agree with High Plains in that Severn is a great place to consider. I have lived here in Severn for years and it is a great family area and we chose it for the same reason........I worked in Baltimore and my spouse in DC.

We don't have kids either but liked that most of our neighbors do b/c that told us that this was a good area. We didn't care about the schools but we spoke with the familys here and that made us feel good about deciding, its quiet and friendly. We are very sad to be leaving soon, but I got a job in Austin that is forcing us to move......

As far as the commute......we are right off of 95 and 295. And you mentioned mall......we are less than two miles from Arundel Mills......so it doesn't get much better than that.

What price range of homes are you looking in? And are you looking at townhomes or single family homes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstik View Post

Old 07-03-2008, 05:49 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,391,935 times
Default Catonsville

Are you buying a house? I've always liked the part of Rolling Road near UMBC. I think that's considered Catonsville. Take a drive around there, you may like it, too. Lots of beautiful homes on large lots with some children and gorgeous, large mature trees.

The up-side that nobody seems to realize about this area is that you're about 10 mintues away by car from a MARC train stop. That can take your wife to DC if she wants to avoid the drive.

I drove to DC and NOVA for years and it was AWFUL. Some days wifey may want a break from the driving. 495 is ALWAYS being repaired and the commute can take 1.5 hours or more. Not my cup of tea, but it may be okay with you both. If not, I really recommend living near a MARC stop.

There is very nice YMCA nearby, and there are camps every summer at the university that your kids can attend--soccer, cheerleading as well as academic camps. OMG I think I am convincing MYSELF to move there. Truthfully, for my family (international interracial couple) it's not diverse enough. I would not feel comfortable actually living there, but if you're okay with massive amounts of whiteness, it might be just the place.

Old 07-05-2008, 08:21 PM

2,358 posts, read 5,981,092 times
We live in Catonsville and love it. As Kinkytoes said, parts of it are exceptionally white. Parts also are predominantly black and from what I can see, there isn't much diversity in either area. We live in one of the heavily treed, established neighborhoods with older homes. Hubby works downtown and his office is 11 miles away. Easy drive. When he goes to DC for meetings, it takes him about 25 minutes to get to the Greenbelt metro station (on the Green Line of the DC metro.) And we live very close to a MARC station (about 4-5 miles away.) Schools are good and the Y is excellent (took my daughter to ballet there this morning!) Patapsco Valley State Park is right next to Catonsville also -- a gorgeous park that has lots of trails, both walking about mountain biking (and GREAT birdwatching!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland