U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2008, 01:39 PM

92 posts, read 298,781 times

Advertisements

Which department do I go to regarding complaining about our neighbors? They have not mowed ONCE yet this spring and the grass is over 2ft tall! I tried searching around the Harford Co govt website but couldn't find anything. They are also building up quite a lot of trash...am concerned about rats, snakes...etc. Already spoke with their landlord who hasn't done anything about it.
Rate this post positively

Old 05-20-2008, 02:56 PM

2,964 posts, read 5,810,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmcfarlane View Post
Which department do I go to regarding complaining about our neighbors? They have not mowed ONCE yet this spring and the grass is over 2ft tall! I tried searching around the Harford Co govt website but couldn't find anything. They are also building up quite a lot of trash...am concerned about rats, snakes...etc. Already spoke with their landlord who hasn't done anything about it.
McFarlane..Sounds like your neighbors may have left the property for good, if that is the case. It is definitely a health and safety issue that needs to be addressed promptly. If the landlord is unresponsive, here is a link from the county website that may help:

Harford County Maryland - Department of Inspections, License & Permits - Housing Services

Old 05-20-2008, 06:53 PM

Actually, believe it or not, they're still there...which is another issue. She's a single mother with 6 kids - ages vary from 7wks to 23yrs. Her one daughter who is only 17 has 6 month old twins. Plus her boyfriend lives there as well. Their house is the same size as ours, I thought that there were occupancy laws? We've had nothing but problems with them...breaking in and stealing from us, vandalizing our cars, etc, etc. But it's been relatively calm over there, kind of worried about getting them going again!
Laura

Old 05-20-2008, 07:14 PM

106 posts, read 491,779 times
I'll assume you're not under a home owners association?

Old 05-21-2008, 06:56 AM

That's correct.

Old 05-21-2008, 07:53 AM

2,964 posts, read 5,810,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmcfarlane View Post
Actually, believe it or not, they're still there...which is another issue. She's a single mother with 6 kids - ages vary from 7wks to 23yrs. Her one daughter who is only 17 has 6 month old twins. Plus her boyfriend lives there as well. Their house is the same size as ours, I thought that there were occupancy laws? We've had nothing but problems with them...breaking in and stealing from us, vandalizing our cars, etc, etc. But it's been relatively calm over there, kind of worried about getting them going again!
Laura
Does not sound like a good situation at all. Granted, it is an upleasant set of circumstances, but frankly, this mother is raising her children in unsuitable and possibly unsanitary living conditions.

Additionally, they have violated your property. I would make the call, then look for a better place to live.

Old 05-21-2008, 05:51 PM

106 posts, read 491,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil3 View Post
Does not sound like a good situation at all. Granted, it is an upleasant set of circumstances, but frankly, this mother is raising her children in unsuitable and possibly unsanitary living conditions.

Additionally, they have violated your property. I would make the call, then look for a better place to live.
And do what with his currect property? It's not going to sell....

Old 05-23-2008, 08:03 AM

628 posts, read 893,422 times
There is Montgomery County law limiting grass to 1 foot. I looked this up last year when my neighbor's grass got as high as 6 feet. Fortunately the yard area is VERY small so wasn't too worried about pests so much as amused at seeing how far he was going to go with it.

Old 05-14-2009, 04:09 PM

1 posts, read 4,622 times
Be a good neighbor. Introduce yourself. Offer to mow their lawn. Show them how to keep their property as neat as yours. Involve the young people in cleaning up and beautifying the neighborhood. You will have taught the younger generation a skill that will last a lifetime and your property value will increase. Instead of complaining about the situation do something positive. Love thy neighbor as thy self.

Old 05-14-2009, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanamino View Post
Be a good neighbor. Introduce yourself. Offer to mow their lawn. Show them how to keep their property as neat as yours. Involve the young people in cleaning up and beautifying the neighborhood. You will have taught the younger generation a skill that will last a lifetime and your property value will increase. Instead of complaining about the situation do something positive. Love thy neighbor as thy self.

this is pretty funny. Would I be doing that after they broke in and stole all of my jewelry that I inherited from my mom? Or maybe after they completely keyed the side of my van because I called the police after hearing the drunk oldest son break my window trying to get in? Or how about after the youngest son (only 10) knifed my son's brand new bike's tires? Thankfully they have since been evicted and we've moved to South Carolina.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland