Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2023, 04:32 PM

948 posts, read 1,138,944 times

Advertisements

House prices are still higher than the pre-pandemic rates. Is this a good time to buy a new house or wait another year to two years? The last thing I want is the house prices dropping by 100 to 200 K in the next couple years and I’m stuck with a high mortgage.

I’m moving from TX. So another option would be to sell the current house and rent instead in MD for now.
That will eat up some of the down payment money, but is there a better option? Any tips or advices are highly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2023, 04:58 PM

45,337 posts, read 60,512,994 times
I would advise you, as will most others, to rent first, for a large number of reasons.

Old 02-04-2023, 01:13 AM

2,189 posts, read 2,685,312 times
”I’m stuck with a high mortgage”

This comment only makes sense if you're anticipating buying beyond your means, getting an adjustable-rate mortgage, and/or buying and then reselling the property in short order. I wouldn't recommend doing any of the above in any market. If you're buying something you can afford and plan to own the home for 7-10+ years then short term fluctuations in the real estate market don't negatively affect you (they can positively affect you though, e.g. a refi opportunity). That's a major reason for purchasing property in the first place: you insulate yourself from market risk and provide yourself with a stable monthly housing cost for 30 years.

On the other hand, renting affords you little stability but ultimate flexibility. Both are valuable in different ways. It's up to you, but personally I'd rent if moving to an area I'm unfamiliar with.

Old 02-04-2023, 03:30 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitynity View Post
I’m moving from TX. Any tips or advice are highly appreciated.
WHEREVER anyone is from ... WHEREVER they might want to move to ...

Take a year (or more) in a rental to dive deep in the new job, to make a few friends,
to learn your way around the areas, to be CERTAIN you really want to stay with that job,
really want to stay in the area, to be able to answer most of the questions you have now ...
from your own experience.

Old 02-04-2023, 12:54 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,086,237 times
Be ready for sticker shock. In most of Maryland (especially in the Baltimore Washington region) prices often shock people coming in from other areas. Be ready to 1) commute further; 2) get a smaller house; 3)Spend significantly more than you made from your existing house. It is just something most of us who have moved to (or back to) this region.

Old 02-04-2023, 09:14 PM

27,554 posts, read 28,636,675 times
Quote:
The last thing I want is the house prices dropping by 100 to 200 K in the next couple years and I’m stuck with a high mortgage.
What's wrong with that? Do you plan on selling your house 2 years after you buy it?

Old 02-05-2023, 10:26 AM

1,203 posts, read 790,966 times
TBH, if you can afford it, have a stable job lined up, etc. there's not really "right time or wrong time" to buy a house.

So what if you're underwater? Unless you're selling in 1-2 years after you buy your house, if your house is in a good area with good school the price will eventually recover, period.

Another thing about Maryland (basically anywhere close to DC) is that things are a lot more recession-proof in the area due to government presence. This is not SF Bay Area where the tech bust resulted from overexpansion is causing headaches.

Old 02-11-2023, 01:44 AM

Not plan to sell it. I was under the impression if the house were to drop the price I won’t be able to refinance it for a better APR and be stuck with higher premium unless I cover the difference out of pocket. Of course, it will eventually gain back the price sometime in the future.

Old 02-11-2023, 04:03 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
Quote:
TBH, if you can afford it, have a stable job lined up, etc.
there's not really "right time or wrong time" to buy a house.
Of course there are MANY wrong times. The OP is perfect example of it too.

Quote:
Not plan to sell it.
Assuming that plans work out as intended is the least valid basis.

Old 02-11-2023, 06:54 AM

Initial plan was to wait another year or so before moving. But our son is going to middle school next year. Hence, thought it would be beneficial not to pull him out for another three years. That’s the rush. In addition, the realtor recommended selling now would be better than waiting because the home prices are already dropping. Might get a rental for atleast 6 months or so before making a purchase. Also wifey lined up a job in Ellicott city. Hence don’t see the point in waiting any further though we gona miss our 2.37% APR on our current house. Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland