Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 08:00 AM

11 posts, read 46,526 times

Advertisements

Has anyone moved from NC to MD and been happy with their decision? So many people seem to be doing to opposite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 08:07 AM

422 posts, read 1,362,092 times
I moved from MD to NC and back to MD... and now am looking to move back to NC. For me personally, when I lived in NC I missed some of the big city amenities but now that I am back in the Baltimore region I realize it is better to come here and visit than to live here -- for me personally. Each place has its pros/cons and you should weigh your options. It is different for everyone.

Old 05-29-2008, 08:41 AM

743 posts, read 2,242,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlblueyes View Post
I moved from MD to NC and back to MD... and now am looking to move back to NC. For me personally, when I lived in NC I missed some of the big city amenities but now that I am back in the Baltimore region I realize it is better to come here and visit than to live here -- for me personally. Each place has its pros/cons and you should weigh your options. It is different for everyone.
Wow that is a lot of moving. I am not sure I would want to put my kids through that although I love NC I miss my family terribly. But I am afraid of the same, if I move back would I really be happy since I experienced some place different. Good luck on your adventures.

Old 05-29-2008, 08:42 AM

743 posts, read 2,242,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDean View Post
Has anyone moved from NC to MD and been happy with their decision? So many people seem to be doing to opposite.
It would depend what part of NC you are moving from and where in md you are moving to? It all depends on the geographic area. If you move from Charlotte to DC Burbs, you will do just fine. However, don't be shocked by the costs of the housing or taxes. They are higher, as well as electric since BG&E hicked their rates 2 years ago.

Old 05-29-2008, 09:07 AM

11 posts, read 46,526 times
It would be from the Raleigh area to the Baltimore area. I'm from MD, so I know what to expect. It just seems like everyone in the North East wants to go south. It's a big decision.

Old 05-29-2008, 10:05 AM

915 posts, read 3,179,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDean View Post
It would be from the Raleigh area to the Baltimore area. I'm from MD, so I know what to expect. It just seems like everyone in the North East wants to go south. It's a big decision.
I moved from Raleigh (downtown by N Boylan/Peace St) to Baltimore about 1.5 years ago. I like it so far. Even though Baltimore do have some bad reps but I tell you, there are more opportunity for me here (job wise)

Everyone that move from Northeast to South are those boomers that cash out not so long ago on the booming housing market. They are heading down south to retired. Hence it create some bubble effects on the southern states...Damn boomers

Old 05-29-2008, 11:56 AM

3 posts, read 7,462 times
I moved from coastal NC to Maryland about 2 years ago and I love it, except the cost of living. There is WAY more stuff to do for young people here than NC. I may move back years down the line, but for now it's popping up here. With so many people moving down, North Carolina will be a transplant state in a few years anyways, which takes the beauty away from it.

Old 05-29-2008, 12:02 PM

396 posts, read 1,104,973 times
I would be interested in responses to this post as well. We plan to move from Raleigh to the Silver Spring area this year, for career reasons.

Not sure I am looking forward to it, as everyone from there seems to be moving here and the cost of living looks really high. But, husband is only getting interviews in MD and not here.

Old 05-30-2008, 05:42 AM

915 posts, read 3,179,750 times
everyone said about cost of living is high but really the only that is high here is the house prices..i cant see much of a different the prices in the grocery here and there..might be even cheaper since there is no 3% tax on grocery in MD. You might save money there.
yes the house you pay here you can get a whole bigger better deal down south.

Old 05-30-2008, 10:00 AM

396 posts, read 1,104,973 times
that is good to know about the cost of living...I looked at the price indexes, and noticed that the housing prices seemed to be the only thing that was remarkably more expensive, but was worried I was missing something because others seem to complain about how expensive MD is.

My husband mentioned that during his trips to MD he found folks in the stores/hotels much more friendly and nice than they are here in the triangle. I was a little surprised, but NC has changed in the past few years since I was here in the late 80s.

He did comment that "Whole foods" here wasn't any more or less expensive than the one he stopped at in MD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland