Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2023, 12:04 PM

16 posts, read 14,490 times

Advertisements

I'm dabbling with the idea of maybe moving to the Eastern Shore for my next chapter of retirement. Not directly on the shore, closer to the mainland to be closer to good hospitals etc, since I'm in that 'old' age range.

Big concern is that I not be in a food desert. Is there enough of an Italian and Jewish population on the Eastern Shore that you have authentic pizza and bagels and an appreciation of bread. (My point of reference is New York-style pizza.) Where I am now (Kentucky) is a food desert for these items. Sadly, there are just not enough Italians here, I think, that can either provide this kind of food or recognize when they are offered Italian food that is clearly sub-par. There is no appreciation of a fine crusty roll--here, rolls mean like King's Hawaiian. (In my book, rolls are not squishy and sweet.) I've lived most of my life in the NY/NJ area, so my tastes follow along what is typical for that area.)

I know you guys have great seafood and that's certainly a big draw. How about the staples of life: pizza, bagels, etc.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2023, 03:08 PM

6,999 posts, read 11,296,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredperson View Post
I'm dabbling with the idea of maybe moving to the Eastern Shore for my next chapter of retirement. Not directly on the shore, closer to the mainland to be closer to good hospitals etc, since I'm in that 'old' age range.

Big concern is that I not be in a food desert. Is there enough of an Italian and Jewish population on the Eastern Shore that you have authentic pizza and bagels and an appreciation of bread. (My point of reference is New York-style pizza.) Where I am now (Kentucky) is a food desert for these items. Sadly, there are just not enough Italians here, I think, that can either provide this kind of food or recognize when they are offered Italian food that is clearly sub-par. There is no appreciation of a fine crusty roll--here, rolls mean like King's Hawaiian. (In my book, rolls are not squishy and sweet.) I've lived most of my life in the NY/NJ area, so my tastes follow along what is typical for that area.)

I know you guys have great seafood and that's certainly a big draw. How about the staples of life: pizza, bagels, etc.

Thanks!
There are only a few regular posters from this forum who live on the Eastern Shore, so I am not sure how much specific feedback you will get.

In general, you are not moving to an area where Jewish or Italian people settled in great numbers, nor are you in New York. So, I would not expect anything close to the type or 'quality' of food you are used to there. Your best bet IMO to find something passable is the more touristy areas, meaning closer to the resort towns. Those places cater to a tourist crowd, and lots of people come from our north.

Old 04-09-2023, 07:57 PM

3,701 posts, read 4,845,879 times
Definitely not a food desert as the seafood on this side of the Chesapeake can be quite good with plenty of nice restaurants but you're not going to find the number and variety of Jewish and Italian places you'll find in the City's.

There are a couple of good Italian restaurants in Ocean City that I'll judge by knowing upscale boat owners from NY/NJ who state how good they are. And there is a NY style pizza place in West Ocean City as well that is owned/run by transplants from NYC.

Bread? Over here its white bread for your crab cake to rest on. Anything fancy can be had from the local Walmart!

Bagels? Ummm!? We have doughnuts! They are round with a hole in them!

Old 04-09-2023, 08:41 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,931,061 times
The drive to NJ or Philly isn't that bad from the ES.

Old 04-10-2023, 10:50 AM

2,038 posts, read 4,552,445 times
Bagel Bakery Cafe, Salisbury, MD
Fratelli's Italian Restuarant
DePietro's New York Pizzeria

We have relatives that live close to Salisbury. They like these places but take these recommendations with a grain of salt. They are born and raised Marylanders. I don't know if they've ever had "authentic" NY pizza and bagels.

Old 04-13-2023, 02:38 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,648,066 times
Quote:

Thanks!
Eastern Shore is a big area, if you can't find it there, I know it's in Delaware.

Old 04-13-2023, 06:30 AM

20,099 posts, read 9,003,220 times
Southern Delaware has had a large influx of retired NY/NJ people move into the area. Plenty of good choices. The bread and bagels don't match NY/NJ, a number of deli's/restaurants have their bread delivered daily from Jersey.

https://www.capegazette.com/article/...y-beach/256295

Old 04-13-2023, 06:46 AM

8,629 posts, read 9,131,406 times
Sussex County, Delaware, southern Delaware. A couple of places in Rehoboth, Lewis, OC Maryland that I like.
https://www.rosenfeldsjewishdeli.com/rehobothbeach
https://www.casapullassubs.com/
https://www.mrppizza.com/
https://ledopizza.com/about/?_ga=2.6...OTUwNS4wLjAuMA..

Like Chinese?
https://rehobothfoodie.com/reviews/c...inese-cuisine/
https://saketumisushi.com/

Good Maryland seafood? Try all the restaurants on Golf Course, Road, Ocean City, Maryland
https://www.google.com/search?client...H8QjGp6BAgHEAw

Last edited by jmking; 04-13-2023 at 06:57 AM..

Old 04-17-2023, 02:12 PM

3,765 posts, read 4,099,575 times
I know the feeling because I am also a northerner of Italian descent and like the same foods. I also like the Eastern Shore because of the ocean and countryside. I suggest you move to New Jersey, either on the shore, or close to the shore. You will get everything you want there. The property taxes will be higher, but if you buy into an over 55 community, they are not bad at all, for NJ at least.

Thanks for the above recommendations. I am very surprised there is a Jewish deli in Rehoboth Beach. I am going to have to pay it a visit soon.

Old 06-26-2023, 09:00 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,275,092 times
Quote:

Thanks!
No matter where you go, it will NOT taste the same.

Even if the cooks came from where you were and use all the same ingredients, etc, because of the water,

I run across this all the time where I live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland