Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2007, 09:54 AM

157 posts, read 780,559 times

Advertisements

Help! I will be moving to DC/ Baltimore area this summer from a NJ suburb close to NYC.

I am looking for a nice area (close to DC), that is family friendly (I have 2 elementary school kids), has great public elementary schools, and has the possibility of walking to a downtown or school/ shopping/ parks, etc.

I can spend around 800k, and need a 3BR house. I am thinking Chevy Chase, MD (expensive- how are the schools, is it family friendly?) or Bethesda (what areas? it seems rather large). Should I look in the Annapolis area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2007, 10:00 AM

5 posts, read 61,660 times
Bethesda and Chevy Chase are both very affluent areas with some of the top-rated public schools in the nation. If you can afford to purchase a house in either of these areas, no doubt it's an excellant area to live in. I was born and raised in Montgomery County, so I know. Both Bethesda and Chevy Chase have a very nice downtown area, and there are neighborhoods that are within walking distance to them. An added benefit is that they are both right on the D.C. line which makes going into the city very convenient.

Old 01-12-2007, 09:26 AM

313 posts, read 1,716,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmom8 View Post
Help! I will be moving to DC/ Baltimore area this summer from a NJ suburb close to NYC.

I am looking for a nice area (close to DC), that is family friendly (I have 2 elementary school kids), has great public elementary schools, and has the possibility of walking to a downtown or school/ shopping/ parks, etc.

I can spend around 800k, and need a 3BR house. I am thinking Chevy Chase, MD (expensive- how are the schools, is it family friendly?) or Bethesda (what areas? it seems rather large). Should I look in the Annapolis area?
Annaolis is FAR from dc.

I'd say look at Bethesda but house prices are outragous. Check out parts of Rockville/Derwood.
Also around gaithersburg there are a couple new comunities that are real nice if you like the (stepford wives) type of feel

Kentlands, Lakelands and King Farm

very nice.. old town feel and mom and pop type shops.. really nice

Old 01-12-2007, 12:14 PM

4 posts, read 19,032 times
Thumbs up moving to MD

for $800k you can live pretty near DC, although believe or not you don't get much for that in places like Bethesda or Chevy Chase .. Anne Arundel county is a better value in my opinion if you can deal with the commute .. there is a commuter bus that goes from Annapolis to DC, also a metro rail from New Carrolton to DC

Old 01-12-2007, 01:37 PM

198 posts, read 926,181 times
Chevy Chase is very family friendly and has wonderful parks and schools. Somerset is a very cute community within Chevy Chase, and you could walk to the Friendship Heights metro and shopping areas. I think 800,000 should be a doable budget for a small 3 bedroom home. Annapolis is really cute, but it is far from DC. You are looking at over an hour commute whether you drive or take public transportation. Downtown Annapolis is also very expensive. I don't think that 800,000 is going to buy you much more than in Chevy Chase if you want to be within walking distance of the downtown. Old Town Alexandria, VA is another place to consider. It is closer to downtown DC than Annapolis.

Old 01-12-2007, 02:48 PM

3 posts, read 27,819 times
For 800K you can get a gourgoues house in Howard county, which has THE best school system in MD. Ho Co dumps tons of $$ into the school system, just ask a Ho Co tax payer.

I own a house here and it is booming, there are so many places to eat and it is a brilliant blend of different ethnicities.

Best of luck.

Old 04-23-2007, 10:37 PM

12 posts, read 104,153 times
I agree about Howard County. It's a good area. Stay in the western end school districts.

Old 04-24-2007, 08:03 AM

471 posts, read 1,830,120 times
I have to agree with everyone else. Howard County is better. DC is nothing like Jersey, being close to it may get on your nerves (I lived in Bergen County). It's way too expensive to live in Chevy Chase but they have good schools. Howard is more affordable and has good schools. Annapolis you can try to find real estate, it has that downtown or main street feel, I like it but its' pricey as well.

Old 04-24-2007, 03:19 PM

165 posts, read 926,215 times
If you're looking for a good size home and close to DC don't discount Calvert County for safety, family oriented and great schools. It's far enough away from the city to get away from it all and it's close enough to visit when you want the more city like fair. Some parts are only 20-50 minutes from DC, Annapolis, several beaches (e.g. Chesapeake and North Beach), Solomons Island, etc...

I just got a market value analysis for Huntingtown, MD and the homes are still holding high value. The HIGH sale price was $840,815.00 and the Average was $681.938.00. Most of which are newer colonial style homes with 4BR or more on half an acre of land or more and at least a 2 car garage.

Good luck in your search. All of the areas suggested by the others have been great references as well. Just like them I'd caution watching your commute time of over an hour from some places. With your current budget you have lots of options, it's the people coming in expecting to pay 300-500k for everything under the sun that really have problems in those areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland