U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2007, 09:20 PM

2 posts, read 14,270 times

Advertisements

Hi, I will be spending a week in California, Maryland in ST. Mary's County starting the 21st of this month. I have checked the mileages and I know it's only a little over 50 miles from there to Annapolis, 70 miles to Baltimore and around 140 miles to Philadelphia. I would like to visit all three cities the week I am there, but cannot find much info on transportation. Are there trains in California, MD I can take to each of the other three cities and if so, does anyone know about how long each trip might take by train? Also, if anyone has any other information on the area....where to go, what to see, in either the California, MD area, Annapolis, or Baltimore, I would truly appreciate it.

Thanks!!
Alexa
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2007, 09:22 AM

27 posts, read 114,737 times
Default California, MD

I'm certainly no expert on the area (I go there for my job every now and then) but since you've had no responses, here's what I know:

I'm not aware of any train service to or from the California/Lexington Park area. I'm pretty sure you're gonna need to drive to get around. I think its a little over an hour's drive to Annapolis and hour and a half to Baltimore.

You could drive to New Carollton outside of DC or maybe even Bowie, MD to catch the MARC train into Baltimore and on to Philly. But if I was only going to Baltimore I'd just drive all the way in. You'd be well adivsed to try to avoid rush times because a lot of folks from Southern Maryland commute to DC and Balt.

As far as things to do, I'm not a fan of the California/Lexington Park area--a lot of poorly planned growth, in my opinion. Buch of strip malls, big box stores and vey little charm. Maybe someone more familar with the area has a different opinion and can name some things to do there.

The Chesapeake Bay is beautiful of course and St. Mary's (a little ways down the road) is quiet and nice. I haven't spent much time there myself, but Solomon's Island seems pleasant, although very small.

Definitely check out the downtown Annapolis Harbor/Capitol area and Balt. Inner Harbor. If you can, drive across the Bay Bridge (beautiful) and grab some seafood on Kent Island. Could be kinda cold when you come, so be prepared for that. Hope you have agood time.

Old 01-12-2007, 11:34 AM

2 posts, read 14,270 times
Thanks so much for replying to my post, I appreciate the help! Unfortunately I am not going to have access to a car unless I rent one, which I suppose I may have to do. I was hoping there would be a way I could get to a Marc train without having to do that. What is the best way for me to get to Philadelphia from California, MD. Do you know? I am guessing that trip might take about 3 hours?

Old 01-13-2007, 07:03 PM

27 posts, read 114,737 times
There might be some sort of bus service around California. (I don't know--sorry). There also might be a commuter bus that can get you to a DC subway stop, which you could then take to New Carrollton or Union Station to grab the Marc train.

That's the only thing I can think of, and even then, I bet you'd wish you had a car.

Do you mean the best way to drive to Philly? You can map it online but I'd go 4 north to 301 north. 301 turns into 3. 3 to 97 north. 97 to 895, harbor tunnel through Baltimore. 895 to 95 into Philly.

3 hours is probably about right. Maybe a tad more.

Old 01-28-2007, 07:25 PM

165 posts, read 870,436 times
Unhappy Please Help With Info On California, Maryland

Unfortunately you're too far south to get on to any of the trains for the cities that you're looking to go see.

The closest trains I know of you would need to travel north to the Branch Ave Metro Rail system (Green Line) and travel that up to a MARC rail line to get there. You'll probably just travel up to Union Station from the green line and take that all the way up to Baltimore. The bad news is from California to Branch Ave requires a car and there's no shuttle bus service that I'm aware of that far south.

Philly is another story all together. For the cost of transfers and getting amtrak tickets to get up there you might as well rent a car and do whatever you want. Take a pit stop in Baltimore on the way up and get a 2 for 1.

Wish I had better news... good luck on seeing those cities though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexa View Post

Hi, I will be spending a week in California, Maryland in ST. Mary's County starting the 21st of this month. I have checked the mileages and I know it's only a little over 50 miles from there to Annapolis, 70 miles to Baltimore and around 140 miles to Philadelphia. I would like to visit all three cities the week I am there, but cannot find much info on transportation. Are there trains in California, MD I can take to each of the other three cities and if so, does anyone know about how long each trip might take by train? Also, if anyone has any other information on the area....where to go, what to see, in either the California, MD area, Annapolis, or Baltimore, I would truly appreciate it.

Thanks!!
Alexa

Old 03-30-2007, 08:47 PM

3 posts, read 21,123 times
Default california, maryland

I am going to california ,maryland on 4-1 ...what did you end up doing...I don't have the slighest idea where to start.. except that my kiddo lives there..

Old 03-30-2007, 09:00 PM

46 posts, read 227,644 times
ill be there april 11th

Old 03-30-2007, 09:02 PM

Default rush hour

grumby1111, what time is the rush hour in California maryland?

Old 03-30-2007, 09:11 PM

and I am leaving on 4-11....

Old 03-31-2007, 06:53 PM

22 posts, read 146,105 times
I live in St. Mary's County and we are a very rural county. The main commercial area is concentrated in California and Lexington Park, MD around Pax River NAS. There is no train service but there is a commuter bus run by the MTA that runs to Washington, DC during the week and on Saturday. From there you could catch a train at Union Station and head into Baltimore and Philly, but i would definetly recommend driving instead, despite the traffic everywhere in the Baltimore-Washington Metro Area. Rush hour traffic is from 3:30 PM to 6:30 PM with thousands of commuters coming down Route 5 (the main highway into and out of St. Mary's County and heading north). The morning rush hour is from 5:30 AM to 7:30 AM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or