Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2008, 07:44 AM

11 posts, read 146,452 times

Advertisements

Whats the fastest way (via public transport of subway/rail /bus combo ) to get from the BWI Airport to Silver Springs maryland ( Gist avenue which is near the Silver spring metro station ). I'll be only bringing a backpack so luggege is not a concern.

Any idea of around how long such tavel time would be on non rush hours on weekend arrival

thanks

Last edited by vp18; 07-07-2008 at 07:46 AM.. Reason: additional data
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 03:45 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,801,824 times
My first thought is take the Metrobus to Greenbelt station. Then Metro to Ft. Totten. Transfer to the red line to Silver Spring (no "s"). I don't know how long it takes, but should be reasonable.

Old 07-07-2008, 05:23 PM

131 posts, read 693,392 times
How about a Marc Train from BWI to Union Station, then the Red Line to Silver Spring?

Penn_Line_Index. (http://www.mtamaryland.com/services/marc/schedulesSystemMaps/penn.cfm - broken link)

Metro - Metrorail System Map (http://www.wmata.com/metrorail/systemmap.cfm - broken link)

Old 07-07-2008, 11:05 PM

Thanks guys. This will actually be my first time to do this ( take public transport alone ) in the USA. Normally when I visit my cousin she picks me up in the airport with her car. I want to surprice her this time. Ill make my arrival time at BWI in the morning so just in case I get lost it wont be in the middle of the night.

I should probably wear my I LUB USA Tshirt. So just in case I get lost people may be more incline to help me. My english is fine. Yahoo Im so excited already

Old 07-08-2008, 03:17 AM

Oh by the way can you guys kindly provide me the link to where I can find the schedules of the 830 metrobus that travels from BWI airport to Greenbelt Metrorail station.

I think for speed I shoud Take the Bus from BWI to Greenbelt Metro station then ride to
Fort Totten then switch to the red lane to go to silver spring station. From there its about a 15 to 20 minute walk to my cousin's house which should be fine.

thanks

Old 07-08-2008, 07:34 AM

969 posts, read 2,851,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vp18 View Post
Oh by the way can you guys kindly provide me the link to where I can find the schedules of the 830 metrobus that travels from BWI airport to Greenbelt Metrorail station.

I think for speed I shoud Take the Bus from BWI to Greenbelt Metro station then ride to
Fort Totten then switch to the red lane to go to silver spring station. From there its about a 15 to 20 minute walk to my cousin's house which should be fine.

thanks
From BWI Airport:

(410) 859-7111 or www.bwiairport.com.
Metrobus/Metrorail: Take the Metrobus #B30 (runs every 40 minutes), located by the curb outside the international terminal. Bus will take you to Greenbelt Metro stop. Take the GREEN line from Greenbelt to Fort Totten. Transfer to the RED line, take the RED line toward Shady Grove and exit at Union Station. Cost is $2 from airport to Greenbelt Metro stop, additional fare required to travel by Metro from Greenbelt to Union Station. More information can be found at www.wmata.com.
MARC train (does not run on weekends): Take free 10-minute shuttle bus from baggage claim marked “MARC/Amtrak” to BWI Rail Station. Cost is then $5 for train from BWI Rail Station to Union Station. For more information and train schedule call (800) 325-RAIL or go to www.mtamaryland.com.
Amtrak (operates on weekends, but is more expensive): Take free 10-minute shuttle bus from baggage claim marked “MARC/Amtrak” to BWI Rail Station. Cost is then $13 for train from BWI Rail Station to Union Station. To contact the BWI Rail Station, please call (410) 672-6169. For Amtrak schedules and information call (800) USA-RAIL (872-7245) or go to www.amtrak.com.
To contact Amtrak Passenger Services at Union Station, please call (202) 484-7540.
Shuttle: At this time, SuperShuttle has no service to zip code 20001; to check on service call (800) BLUE VAN (258-3826).
Cabs: The BWI taxi stand is located just outside of the baggage claim area of the lower level of the BWI Airport Terminal. Cost is approximately $65. For more information, call (410) 859-1100 or visit www.BWIAirportTaxi.com.

Old 07-08-2008, 06:28 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,801,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vp18 View Post

thanks
Here you go: Metro - Timetable information (http://www.wmata.com/timetables/view.cfm?line=165 - broken link)

The B30 Bus will be faster than taking MARC or Amtrak to Union Station, and probably cheaper too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland