Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2008, 04:32 PM

646 posts, read 2,663,504 times

Advertisements

Does crime in your town or county affect your insurance rates,Home or car or even health or life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 05:38 PM

297 posts, read 1,270,290 times
I don't know about the insurance rates, but the LACK of crime in my town definitely affects my home (it's safe and secure), my car (not damaged and safe), health (no injuries from being assaulted and no stress from worrying about crime), so overall it definitely affects my quality of life since I love living in such a safe area.

Old 07-08-2008, 04:36 AM

273 posts, read 1,480,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
Does crime in your town or county affect your insurance rates,Home or car or even health or life?
My car insurance more than doubled when I moved from VA to MD and the insurance agent told me it was because of car theft and proximity to DC.

Old 07-08-2008, 05:42 AM

1,890 posts, read 1,560,561 times
Yes, I think crime plays a big part of it.
From my experiences from moving all around the state of Maryland, car and home owner insurance is affected. Some areas it dropped and some areas it went up.
The zip code I live in is part county and part city, since I live on the city side my car and home insurance are doubled.

Age seems to be a factor with health and life!

Old 07-08-2008, 07:51 AM

99 posts, read 504,134 times
I know when I moved into PG County (BIG MISTAKE!) my insurance rates went sky high, and my quality of life decreased just as rapidly. When I moved out into Anne Arundel County (WOOHOO!) my insurance dropped greatly and my quality of life rebounded in epic proportions.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:26 AM

1,389 posts, read 6,289,620 times
It also depend upon you insurance carrier. I have a few client who's property insurance is around $30 dollars a month in Hyattsville. while I have other clients who are paying 3 times more in Silver Spring.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:44 AM

101 posts, read 180,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrielle View Post
I don't know about the insurance rates, but the LACK of crime in my town definitely affects my home (it's safe and secure), my car (not damaged and safe), health (no injuries from being assaulted and no stress from worrying about crime), so overall it definitely affects my quality of life since I love living in such a safe area.

What area do you live in? I need to go there!

Old 07-08-2008, 09:52 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,348,339 times
Car insurance costs much less in areas with few car-thefts and break-ins! I'm not sure about homeowner's insurance, though. Also, I feel more relaxed in a low-crime area. Actually I am not sure if crime is even lower here, or the fact that ppl live so far apart makes assault less likely. The effect is the same. I definitely feel more at ease at home, walking to my car etc.

My only issue is driving everywhere--thus getting fat and wasting resources. It would be nice to live in a crime-free city where I could walk everywhere and live with nice, diverse, well-off, intelligent friendly people. Living around criminals is the anti-fun. Once someone has victimized you, it can have a big effect on your sense of safety. It's nice to feel that my car is fine even if I leave it unlocked. It's nice to feel the items I worked hard to buy will be generally safe from theft.

Crime-free living definitely has a positive effect on mental well-being.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:52 AM

350 posts, read 1,642,741 times
Absolutely, my car insurance rates when down about $200 per 6 month period when I moved from PG to Howard County.

Old 07-10-2008, 01:57 AM

646 posts, read 2,663,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessy0780 View Post
Absolutely, my car insurance rates when down about $200 per 6 month period when I moved from PG to Howard County.

Thank You ,so crime does have an effect!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland