Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2007, 01:41 PM

4 posts, read 10,609 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone!

My husband and I will be moving from Northern California to the MD/VA area towards the end of this year.
We don't know anything about this area, so we don't know where to start.
After we move, I want to apply to a university and go to school full-time.
Would someone please tell me what are the good schools in VA/MD and where they are located? I'm going to be majoring in Sociology.
Also, if you live in VA and go to school in MD, do you still have to pay the non-resident fees?

We will be looking to get an apartment close to where I would be going to school.

If someone can please offer some advice, I would really appreciated it.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2007, 04:59 PM

97 posts, read 433,320 times
Frostburg is a nice little town and they have the Frostburg State University . This is their site http://www.frostburg.edu/ Frostburg is a cool town and it is easy on the purse strings if you know what I mean.

Old 01-22-2007, 05:17 PM

1,966 posts, read 4,342,083 times
If you want the 4-year big schools:

University of Maryland-College Park is in College Park.
University of Maryland-Baltimore County is in Catonsville by BWI Airport.
University of Maryland at Baltimore is in downtown Baltimore.
Salisbury University is in Salisbury on the Eastern Shore
Frostburg University is in the western part of Maryland by the panhandle.
George Mason University is in Fairfax, Virginia.
University of Virginia is in Charlottesville, Virginia.

All the local 2-year community colleges have good sociology programs to transfer to the big schools. You would need to get a address in the state of the school you decide in order to pay the in-state tuition. There are plenty of apartment communities by all of the schools listed.

Any of these schools would be good choices, best advice is if you get choices down to a few schools then come out and spend time in the area to see how commuting and crime are in the area you decide to live.

Old 01-24-2007, 02:38 PM

4 posts, read 10,609 times
Thank you for the insightful information!! I appreciate all the reply's.

Old 01-26-2007, 03:13 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,922,722 times
Make sure to check into the residency requirements -- some public universities require one year's residency before you can qualify for in-state tuition rates.

Old 01-28-2007, 12:19 AM

1,463 posts, read 6,221,924 times
MD- You have Univ of MD college park which I highly recommend for price and programs/services.

John Hopkins is expensive but the reputation looks great on paper for interviews. You would have to commute 40 mins but it can be done. Univ of Baltimore Count y isn't bad either. Same time

DC-
Georgetown--come on its georgetown
American-- Expensive but good reputation
GW-- I recommend. expensive but they have a good reputation and lot of services and things going on. Its downtown and when your stressed from tests you can head over a few blocks in either direction and grab a drink

VA--George Mason is a good school and if you live in VA would be a good choice. Traffic would be the only issue.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland