Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2008, 10:09 PM

3 posts, read 10,547 times

Advertisements

I have been job interviewing in AA county, and if offered either position I would be working in either Millersville or Lothian. Does anyone have information on the surrounding areas, and what areas I should avoid? I don't want to live in Glen Burnie, I know that much.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2008, 10:33 PM

51 posts, read 204,584 times
I would say check out Severn, Severna Park, Pasadena maybe. Uhh Laurel, Colombia, Ellicott City maybe?

Old 07-27-2008, 04:44 AM

84 posts, read 333,792 times
I lived in Millersville at one time and still have family that live there now. It's a nice area. Depending on your budget, Severna Park is nice too. As mentioned in the other post, Pasadena is nice but if you get too far down Mountain Road the traffic can get bad during commutes. There are tons of different schools so make sure if you have kids that you check to see what school each address would feed to. There are nice areas of Severn but some of the schools are not so great. My parents lived in Severn for a while. There is also Crownsville, Gambrills and Crofton that would be close. All of them are close to tons of shopping and for commuting purposes, they are close to 97 and 100.

Old 07-28-2008, 08:38 AM

3 posts, read 10,547 times
HoCo is way too much money for what it is. I love the area (I taught there), I just can't see paying $500k for...well, anything really. Thankfully, I am finding some very affordable nice places in AA Co--I'm low maintenance, I don't need much aside from bedrooms. We'll see what I get offered before any decisions though

Old 07-30-2008, 09:10 AM

33 posts, read 186,564 times
Millersville - the community of Old Mill is decent. It is walkable and has a lot of children, which combined will make for a lot of children out and about. The rest of Millersville is more spread out, and pricier I belive. Nice town overall, some areas may have Severna Park schools.
Severn - large town, widely different socio-economic statuses between neighborhoods. I personally like Ridgeway Elem, and its district has many good neighborhoods.
Glen Burnie - yes, there are some nice areas in GB. Foxchase in south Glen Burnie is newer and pretty nice, right outside of Foxchase is Southgate, also nice, built in the 70's I think. These two areas seem to have a lot of the county's police officers living there. Also Ferndale in northern Glen Burnie is nice. I would've bought there if I could afford it. A lot of the area was built in the 50's, many of the original owners live there. The schools aren't regarded as the best, but if that's not an issue then it is a nice area.
Severna Park & Crownsville - both very nice areas, good schools, very expensive. They have large new homes, large old homes, smaller old homes and everything in between. Crownsville has a lot of homes with land to them also.
Arnold - the advantage of being close to Annapolis without being quite so expensive. Good schools, nice neighborhoods. Townhouses, duplexes & SFH (some condos too I think).
Pasadena - for the most part the neighborhoods are very nice, wide range of communities available, condos, working-middle class neighborhoods, upper middle class, to gated private waterfront communities. As far as affordability goes, I like Riviera Beach.

my 2 cents

Old 08-05-2008, 07:10 AM

2 posts, read 5,892 times
I would like to juimp in on this thread to ask a quick question. What is Riviera Beach like; other than affordable? I am moving from Boston and am looking at most of the areas above as well. I am looking to rent an apartment that is affordable. Less than $1000 if possible. Thanks

Old 08-05-2008, 04:57 PM

84 posts, read 333,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jphil018 View Post
I would like to juimp in on this thread to ask a quick question. What is Riviera Beach like; other than affordable? I am moving from Boston and am looking at most of the areas above as well. I am looking to rent an apartment that is affordable. Less than $1000 if possible. Thanks
I'm not aware of any apartments in Rivera Beach but there are some in Millersville that I hear are nice. Also, Arnold has some nice apartments.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:26 PM

1,502 posts, read 7,379,059 times
Pasadena is nice but stay away from Green Haven, that area off of Catherine avenue has problems. Severna Park is nice but you will pay way more to live there than Pasadena. The same with Arnold.

Old 08-07-2008, 07:05 PM

7 posts, read 45,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jphil018 View Post
Riviera Beach is a quiet old community, mostly comprised of retirees. but of late, there has been an influx of younger folks moving in the area. Its nice to see young families moving in again and remodeling older homes. Its a great place and there are houses that offer rentals. Most of them are either room rentals or home rentals. either way, I'm sure a realtor can be of help in the regard.

Old 08-10-2008, 12:37 PM

27 posts, read 58,434 times
I like Gambrills and Odenton area still. It has remained somewhat rural but still has alot of shopping. And the schools are still good as far as I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland