Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2008, 01:45 PM

1 posts, read 3,751 times

Advertisements

I am considering relocating to Maryland after leaving Chapel Hill, NC. Now, having been from the coast (Outerbanks of NC) I sort of envisioned the property values to be highly inflated, and true to form, they were. So, I understand I'd have to be paying out my bum for a place to live.

That being said, the job I'm being offered is in Lusby (Calvert Cliffs Reactor), and I was curious about the places to live nearby. It looks as if the closest 'bigger' towns nearby are California and Lexington Park, but by perusing the forums here, I can sense a negative feeling towards these areas.

So where is one to live? I'm 27, so while I enjoy peace and quiet, I do enjoy an active community with lots of interesting things going on. What communities in Southern MD would provide this? Should I consider living on the outskirts of Annapolis, perhaps, and making the hour commute south to Lusby? (That is, if the traffic isn't horrendous?)

Or should I look for a place in Lusby/California/Solomons, etc?

Also to be considered is my gf, who's planning to move out there after me. Are there good job opportunities around these areas?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 02:40 AM

Location: Silver Spring, Maryland / But still having San Diego / Eastlake withdrawal damn it !!!
340 posts, read 1,412,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jygreen View Post
I am considering relocating to Maryland after leaving Chapel Hill, NC. Now, having been from the coast (Outerbanks of NC) I sort of envisioned the property values to be highly inflated, and true to form, they were. So, I understand I'd have to be paying out my bum for a place to live.

That being said, the job I'm being offered is in Lusby (Calvert Cliffs Reactor), and I was curious about the places to live nearby. It looks as if the closest 'bigger' towns nearby are California and Lexington Park, but by perusing the forums here, I can sense a negative feeling towards these areas.

So where is one to live? I'm 27, so while I enjoy peace and quiet, I do enjoy an active community with lots of interesting things going on. What communities in Southern MD would provide this? Should I consider living on the outskirts of Annapolis, perhaps, and making the hour commute south to Lusby? (That is, if the traffic isn't horrendous?)

Or should I look for a place in Lusby/California/Solomons, etc?

Also to be considered is my gf, who's planning to move out there after me. Are there good job opportunities around these areas?

Thanks in advance!

I would say that if your interested in an active community that moving closer to Annapolis might be a good choice. Depending on what your gf does for a living , I'm sure there would be more opportunity up toward Annapolis as well.

You could also maybe live somewhere in between like maybe North Beach or Chesapeake Beach area. It's quiet and would be roughly halfway between both areas. You would be closer to work and still could enjoy Annapolis for entertainment /shopping etc.

Traffic shouldn't be to bad for you because if you live anywhere north of Calvert Cliffs you'll be heading south while everyone else is heading North to DC. and vicesa versa in the evening.

I think any negative vibes you might be getting about Southern Maryland is that for some that are use to living in an Suburban or a more urban environment are disappointed at the more rural feel that Southern Maryland has.

Another thought is I think you can still find an affordable home in Lusby , be close to work and it's been a while but I've heard that the Lexington Park and California areas have really grown since I was there about 10 years ago. So there may be more of a active community there than when I lived there back in the early 90's.

By the way I grew up in Maryland and my wife is active duty Navy so we move around alot. Currently we're in San Diego but are being sent to Bethesda Naval Hospital in August , so it's back to Maryland for 3 or so years. If it wasn't for the long commute for her I'd be looking at Southern Maryland to live, but will have to settle for Montgomery County for a shorter commute.

Well I hope this helps you some....goodluck to you in whatever you do !!

Old 05-27-2008, 07:55 AM

250 posts, read 1,378,285 times
I live in Southern Maryland, and love it, but I'm also in Charles County, which is very different from Calvert Co. Living near Annapolis will have more activity, but the prices do start to creep up higher as you get closer to the capitol, FWIW.

Last edited by 7th generation; 05-27-2008 at 02:44 PM.. Reason: Sorry, discussing competing forums is not allowed.

Old 05-31-2008, 05:10 PM

12 posts, read 47,401 times
I have a sister that lives in Lusby on the water and it is a great place to live. Solomons is less than 5 minutes away by car and a few minutes more by boat. You can walk and shop on the island or enjoy the waterfront dining. I also have family in California, Md. which is close to all the shopping you need and dining as well. There are tons of places to work in Calvert and St.Mary's counties. The sister I mentioned first left the area years ago to work in D.C. thinking there was not as much to offer here in her home of Southern Md. She enjoyed D.C. but eventually found that D.C. is a nice place to visit but Southern Maryland is the best place to live. Our family vacations in N.C. and Fl.and we've been other places, such as New York, Alabama, Georgia, but nothing yet has come close to Southern Maryland living. You have the country, farms, quaint small towns, yet close to the large cities of D.C., Baltimore, and Va. You have water all around you for all of your water sports/fishing, crabbing etc. Traffic is getting terrible everywhere. But obviously the closer you live to work the less of it you should have to deal with.

Old 06-01-2008, 12:59 AM

646 posts, read 2,669,040 times
................you do know they are closing the Calvert Cliffs Reactor plant,right?

Old 07-28-2008, 06:28 PM

45,425 posts, read 60,623,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
................you do know they are closing the Calvert Cliffs Reactor plant,right?
No they're not, in fact a third reactor is in the planning stages right now.

Old 07-29-2008, 06:03 AM

1,890 posts, read 1,564,031 times
Look into Mechanicsville too, my nephew (21 yrs) lives there and loves it.

Old 07-29-2008, 01:56 PM

646 posts, read 2,669,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
No they're not, in fact a third reactor is in the planning stages right now.

You are correct and I was wrong,I apologize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland