U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 01:07 AM

5 posts, read 28,098 times

Advertisements

Just recently moved to Gaithersburg MD from Houston, TX. Just wonder that how differencent is people in Maryland from people in Houston?
Thanks a lot
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 06:06 AM

1,765 posts, read 6,787,354 times
I lived in MD, moved to Houston, moved back to VA, then to MD, then back to VA.

I only have three total years of living and working in Houston and only about 10 total years in this area.

That being said, if you're married with kids, you won't see much difference other than a slightly higher cost of living, more cultural things to do, and probably less driving since people in TX think nothing of driving 60 miles to have dinner. Things are more compact here, and that's nice.

If you are single, it's vastly different. Houston is a huge party and club town and people really cut loose. Here, they don't. With a few exceptions, people here are more uptight and serious on the social scene, even the college crowd. For example, the college age and 30-somethings in Houston might hit up three clubs on Richmond in one night and most of the clubs are "BMW." Here, the most crowded places (again there are exceptions) are more reserved eat-in bars and smaller venues. Also, most aren't what you'd consider nightclubs or dance clubs.

Here's the sterotypes of what you might overhear in a social scene (for a little fun):

Maryland: "Joseph got a new Prius. Oh and Mary said she got the intership."
(live house band playing in the background, drinking triple-latte-frapposomething)

Virginia: "I sure as hell hope we don't get cut from that contract when Obama gets in there"
(music playing in the background, but you can't hear it over the conversations, drinking a pretentious micro-brew that costs 3x as much and is hard to pronounce)

Houston: "Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. Yeah. Hey honey. What's up." (screaming becuase the music is so loud, drinking Jägermeister and Red Bull warming up to the heavier stuff)

Old 07-30-2008, 06:56 AM

5 posts, read 28,098 times
I totally agree what you said about Houston! When I was in my late 20's, we did hit up two or three night clubs during weedends, and I was driving long distance for dinner and felt nothning about driving.

Someone told me that Maryland people is rude and less social, isthat ture? thanks

Old 07-30-2008, 07:31 AM

No. They aren't "rude". It's just a more serious attitude. Like in Houston, you could chat for a while with some guy or gal just passing, or like, for example, more people there will look you in the eye and say "hello."

Here, at least in the fast-paced urban areas, that's not so common. People here seem a bit more driven, a bit less prone to casual conversation, and a little more concerned about possible motives.

I don't call it rude though, there's just a more professional vibe up here, of course, that's based on where you are. The cool thing about MD is that you can travel a few miles in just about any direction and find that "southern" style of people. The only thing is that vibe won't carry over into the social scene (like Houston or ATL).

Also remember that Houston is unique in it's size and mix of people. With the exception of the urban settings here, you'll find the suburbs/counties in the mid-atlantic and NE to be a bit more segregated. That isn't the same for Houston where even the far-flung suburbs are 50/30/10/10 mix of people. (Not to be political, that's just an observation.)

Old 07-31-2008, 12:25 AM

4 posts, read 21,162 times
Here's the sterotypes of what you might overhear in a social scene (for a little fun):

Maryland: "Joseph got a new Prius. Oh and Mary said she got the intership."
(live house band playing in the background, drinking triple-latte-frapposomething)
---
Funny- so true. Maryland/DC are so different from other places. Here's a blog about the "snoburbs" (snobby suburbs) of DC -
snoburbia.typepad.com/the_snoburbs/ (I'm new to this and I don't know how to link)

Old 07-31-2008, 03:07 PM

17 posts, read 70,990 times
I loved Houston. I never lived there but a good friend of mine lives there that I visit. People there in general seem so laid back, less intense than they are in some parts of MD. There are less intense people in MD, they just tend to live farther away in more rural areas.

Old 07-31-2008, 11:48 PM

9,352 posts, read 13,957,421 times
I don't really agree with the social scene thing. Keep in mind also that Gaithersburg/Montgomery County is a suburb while Houston is a major city. The way you've described the college/young crowd (my demographic) in Houston, its the same way in College Park, Baltimore, Towson and parts of Washington, D.C. I'm also pretty sure there are some snobby elitist bars in Houston where people talk about their kids internships and drink French lattes.

However, Maryland is a lot more liberal than Texas and people are more elitist (the two seem to go hand in hand...Barack is but one example)....as in look down on other parts of the country, especially places like Texas. This is especially true in the rich snobby areas of Montgomery County though even people in Baltimore would make ignorant comments about "white trash" or "hicks" sometimes. I'm not even white and I think thats very ignorant and elitist to talk like that. Also, Maryland people, at least Montgomery County people are less religious and do not wear it on their sleeve, unless, of course, they are Muslim or Jewish.

Old 08-01-2008, 07:08 AM

I'd agree with that Tom. But I guess my point was the college-age scene in Houston mixes and spills over into nearly all the social venues. I can think of only a few spots downtown in Houston (that one snobby jazz place near Bar Houston and one small one out near the Galleria) that didn't include the "woooooooooooooooooooo" crowd. Frankly, after a few years of the Houston club scene, I didn't mind the change of venue to the DC area. Of course, maybe I was just getitng older (and I got married a few years ago so I'm disqualified to make a more-recent assesment).

Bottom line, MD is cool, just go with the flow.

Old 08-01-2008, 11:30 AM

628 posts, read 890,495 times
Oh, that's funny, I have cousins in Houston and they did seem to have more fun (before kids anyway) than young people are here.

Some of MC is pretty integrated, such as Gaithersburg.

Old 08-02-2008, 10:08 PM

1,463 posts, read 5,914,844 times
dc/nova is the capitol for type a personality's.....you really can't be shocked about this...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland