Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2008, 04:13 PM

196 posts, read 796,297 times

Advertisements

Okay then! Saturday we headed west, stopping at Cumberland for the Western Maryland Scenic Railroad. Well worth the $25/head for coach, and I'm guessing first class was nice too. We want to try the Murder Mystery train ride, hopefully soon! Beautiful scenery as expected. We didn't really do anything else in Cumberland itself, just headed on out to Deep Creek.

I had booked a room with Carmel Cove Inn. It's a B&B type of place, except that it's in a converted monastery. I could not have been happier! The innkeepers are always available if you need them, but never hovering. The only rule was "make yourself at home, eat lots, drink lots". I would recommend the Inn to anyone! It's not geared towards families (kids OVER 12 are welcome) but for couples looking for a relaxing getaway it's perfect!

My impressions of Deep Creek Lake itself: not so relaxing. It seemed that the idea for anyone in the lake front homes was, get where you're going as fast as possible, run the boats as fast as possible, if you're on the back roads drive right on top of the guy in front of you. I'm sure if you're into powerboating and waterskiing though, it's great. Just not my thing in general. Everyone is different.

We went to Swallow Falls, absolutely gorgeous. Drove some back roads where you only see locals, no traffic, very cool. Drove along the Savage River, and will definitely rent a canoe to go on the little reservoir there next time. Just driving around looking at the scenery (away from the crowds) was the best part, along with staying at the Inn.

Overall, I'd say we've only scratched the surface of things to see around there. I know there's lots more hiking trails and state parkland to check out that we just didn't have time for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland