U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 12:45 PM

57 posts, read 151,000 times

Advertisements

If it's not too late, I implore you to reconsider. I actually am a healthcare professional. It is hell working on the shore. Believe me, please. The people are mean, some are stupid and 90 per cent of them are not accepting of non-locals. You can adapt --- but it is NOT NUTHIN" NICE. The weather, as weather goes, is better than a great many places and that's all I have good to say --- plus, I do love Asateague and the launches from NASA on Wallops Island. Not enough to stay here, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2009, 01:14 PM

5 posts, read 26,781 times
do any single people live in salisbury? single people in early 40s??

Old 10-29-2009, 09:24 PM

12 posts, read 75,211 times
I'm single in Salisbury and in my early 40s. I dont mind being single but I do mind being in Salisbury, how about you pczeno?

Old 10-31-2009, 07:39 AM

54 posts, read 183,715 times
All these negative comments are way off. I dont know what kind of person cant enjoy life here on the shore. Sure, Salisbury has its rough areas but everywhere does.

I love where I am in Willards. Its a great place to raise kids, the people are friendly, and life is laid back. We have been here for 9 yrs, having moved down from West Milford NJ. Personally, I think living on the Eastern Shore is like a little slice of living in heaven.

Old 11-14-2009, 02:35 PM

12 posts, read 75,211 times
Ocean Pines great, I will get a second home there, Ocean City wonderful, Salisbury no. The Eastern shore overall is fair to ok but in general I would not recommend a young person or couple that needs to be upwardly mobile in life to come here to start a life, especially if you werent born and raised in this area, its just not that kind of place unless you can bring a job with you or a lot of money with you or you have some kind of connect be it friends or family here to help get you going, other than that look elsewhere. So what's so negative and hard to understand about that Kimmers333?

Old 11-14-2009, 07:37 PM

43 posts, read 73,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oncesir View Post
I'd post my thoughts of the area but you can easily search my previous posts. If you are sure about moving to Salisbury your #1 priority is finding an affordable home that isnt centered around the crime that takes place here. I dont have kids but I also havent heard too many good things about local schools from others. A recent report has several that didnt make state requirements.

You will probably like the area once you do move here mostly because you are so unhappy with where you are now. Im not shy about speaking the truth about living on the shore. Its not for everyone. If anyone tells you how friendly EVERYONE is here, ignore anything else they say. Thats not true and in many cases ppl here are even less friendly to newcomers. Make sure that you search for more opinions/info on this site. Good luck with your decision.
My experience with Marylanders is that 72.59% don't have time to be nice, its a busy competitive state with lots of people moving here for work.

Old 11-14-2009, 09:03 PM

53 posts, read 335,366 times
I to am from the north (Norwalk, CT - 18 years) and went to school on the Eastern Shore (UMES c/o 2004) for my undergrad and John Hopkins for graduate. I had my child my junior year at UMES and have lived both in Princess Anne and Salisbury, MD which is where son's father and his family is from.

From the 4 years that I've been on the Eastern Shore, I would honestly not recommend any schools in Somerset or Wicomico county.

Good luck in finding a job as well, most people living on the Shore usually work at the Universities, Perdue or in the government.

Yes, Cambridge and NJ are compariable, do not move there.

Property taxes on the Shore aren't bad at all... depending. They are building new homes all around the Shore but the job market isn't there yet so you will be able to find a nice house however, I have not yet since a new housing development go up in a good school district.

As for as car insurance, it wasn't bad for me. I brought (my parents brought) me a 2002 GMC Envoy while I was in school and my motnhly premiuims were only $85.

Even though your wife is staying at home with the kids, I believe all children learn better amongts peers but, to each his own.

Grocery shopping is simple, just go to Wally World (Wal-Mart), Food Lion or Giant. Just like up north with Stop & Shop, Shop Rite and Pathmark, they all have saver cards.

Old 11-15-2009, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howlingwolf View Post
Ocean Pines great, I will get a second home there, Ocean City wonderful, Salisbury no. The Eastern shore overall is fair to ok but in general I would not recommend a young person or couple that needs to be upwardly mobile in life to come here to start a life, especially if you werent born and raised in this area, its just not that kind of place unless you can bring a job with you or a lot of money with you or you have some kind of connect be it friends or family here to help get you going, other than that look elsewhere. So what's so negative and hard to understand about that Kimmers333?
My husband and I were in our 20's when we moved down here. We knew not a single person and came down here with 2k in our checking account.

We now own our second home, have been able to buy and keep four horses, a horse trailer and a boat.

I dont work for Perdue or the government either.

Its not hard to make a living down here and some of the scathing comments other people have made about the shore are very hard to understand because in my years here, I just havent seen anything wrong with the area. I grew up in Paterson NJ... from Paterson NJ to here, this is a great place

Old 11-22-2009, 07:55 AM

168 posts, read 661,685 times
I'd love to believe your good fortune but comments like this,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmers333 View Post
I live near a chicken farm and have to say, it doesnt smell. There hasnt been a day in the 4 yrs that I lived here that we have smelled the farm.
and then you contradict yourself about the very same topic in the DE forum,

Quote:
I live across the street from 3 large chicken houses. The only times I ever smell them is when they have just been cleaned out and the wind is blowing in the direction of my house.
Quote:
Its not hard to make a living down here and some of the scathing comments other people have made about the shore are very hard to understand because in my years here, I just havent seen anything wrong with the area.
Just because you havent struggled here and can't "see" how others could, doesnt mean that the area is the best place ever. Take a look on this site for the local poverty levels, they're high compared to the national average. The unemployment rates, even before the recession, were high and the lower shore has always had higher unemployment rates(another fact that you can google). Jobs have been leaving the shore for years and the local govt has done nothing to entice new business that would give the local population something other than a retail wage per hour. The job market here has shrank by nearly 10% and since jobs were already difficult to come by that means an even more difficult time for local ppl to make a living. If unemployment/jobs arent your concern then the astronomically high crime rate per capita should make you wonder why such a small area cant seem to control the crime. Bank robberies weekly, armed robberies of small businesses etc have skyrocketed this year and only a few of the perps have been caught. Gang activity in the schools, high truancy, high pregnancy and dropout rates for local high schools doesnt help prove your point. Wicomico county is aware of these education issues and you can read about them here, http://marylandpublicschools.org/NR/...sResponse2.pdf

I dont mind the area but one thing I cant stand is when someone has the "blinders" on. These local problems for some are deal breakers, others, possibly like yourself, can overlook them without difficulty. Different strokes. Don't make it seem like the other 5 pages of ppl that dont like it here are the ones solely to blame for their dislike of the area. BTW I too live in Willards and I smell chickens almost daily, but it beats anything in Salisbury.

Old 11-22-2009, 06:04 PM

Its very rare that I get a whiff of the chicken farms. The wind has to be just right. Honestly I cant remember the last time I smelled them. Maybe its because they are new or because they are across the road in a field - but its been a loooong time since I have smelled them. The wind rarely blows from that direction so maybe I am just lucky? But some people think all you smell is chicken crap everywhere you go and get beat up by gangs on every street corner. Sorry but I moved down here from NJ and it was not an easy life from where I came from.

Compared to where I came from, this is a cake walk through life.
Low job rates and crime in Salisbury still dont compare to areas like Baltimore or Paterson NJ.
And teenage pregnancy, truancy, drop outs, crime, gangs, are everywhere... and have been for decades. We are just starting to see these problems grow here. But back when I was in high school in NJ in the early 80's we had guns in school and metal detectors. You still dont see the kind of crime here that I saw 20+ years ago elsewhere.

People should thank their lucky stars that it is slower here, more laid back and not as violent as other places. Heck, we could be living on a border town to Mexico. :P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland