Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2008, 01:37 PM

27 posts, read 76,004 times

Advertisements

Hi. Am I crazy to try to live in Rosslyn/Courthouse area and commute to Annapolis/Frederick and Upper Malboro? I would be Commuting 4 days a week, each day a different location. Would be leaving around 9:30am and coming back after 7:30pm. Does anyone have experience with similar commutes/have an idea of the time it might take/good routes? Considered living in Bethseda/Silver Spring...but dont know how these compare to Rosslyn/Courthouse. Looking for 1 bedroom 2000-2500 range. Would be willing to consider other areas if you have suggestions? thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 08:09 PM

460 posts, read 1,877,165 times
Personally, I think this is insane. I lived in the city of Frederick for 8 years and routinely drove to Silver Spring (50 miles south) up and down 270 at various times of the day. If you hit 1) an accident, 2) rain, or 3) one flake of snow, you are up a creek. #1 occurs almost daily. The times you mention above avoid the 'direct rush hour" but you are still talking about metro DC commuting - and it sucks no matter what.

I just think the distances you are describing are crazy. Rosslyn to Upper Marlboro seems like the better of the two (annapolis is too far west for you - plus you can count of crazy traffic going to the Bay Bridge from May to Labor day, especially on fridays) - but even that is crazy because no matter what going to Upper Marlboro or Annapolis means crossing the Potomac and they are in the process of building the new bridge.

From Rosslyn, you have 3 cities - Annapolis (to the east), Frederick (to the extreme north) and Upper Marlboro (to the southeast). EVen from Bethesda/Silver Spring, you still have the same scenario but you are closer to Frederick (but remember it is at least 50 miles up the highway).

I would really reconsider this position if they are sending you all over the place - see if you can drop Frederick and you'd be in a much better position to live in Crofton/Bowie/Charles County/ Anne Arundel Couny/PG County and be in a 'reasonable" commute to Annapolis and Upper Marlboro.

Old 10-17-2008, 11:31 PM

27 posts, read 76,004 times
Thanks for the info about the bay bridge and potomac bridge..didn't realize this. This work situation is only for 6 months....till another person comes back from maternity leave and then I pick where I want to work..so just looking for what is least painful(if that is possible) for 6 months....

Old 10-18-2008, 04:32 PM

460 posts, read 1,877,165 times
Well, if there is an end in site it may be bearable but don't let them talk you into making this a permanent deal!

Old 12-05-2008, 08:05 AM

2 posts, read 7,523 times
Live in Bethesda. I just moved out of Bethesda, but spent 5 years living downtown. It's similair to Rosslyn in the fact there are nice restaurants/bars & it's fairly upscale. If you can afford it...that's also the best thing for your commute.

1 bedrooms realistically run in the $1500+ range (to live downtown). You're a mile from the beltway & have 100+ restaurants within walking distance.It's less than 45 minutes to each of the places you mentioned. Plus, you're on the redline & NWDC is only a short drive or metro ride.

When thinking about traffic on the beltway in MD, just remember that traffic flows into Bethesda in the AM and out of Bethesda in the PM. As long as you aren't trying to do the same thing your commute should be managable.

From Bethesda:

Frederick is 35-45 minutes north & you're going against the flow of traffic.

Annapolis is 40-50 minutes east & you're going against the flow of traffic (did that commute for 2 years). It's a long distance but in the mornings I usually cruised at 70+mph. Things slow down when the sun is in your eyes. The evening commute always takes longer due to traffic.

Upper Marlboro is probaby 45 min from Bethesda. I'm not sure about traffic on that side of the beltway...but why live in Rosslyn?

Last edited by etimm; 12-05-2008 at 08:08 AM.. Reason: formatting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland