U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 12-02-2008, 07:57 AM
 
1,196 posts, read 2,774,146 times
Reputation: 800

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
NOt necessarily but I've seen Section 8 ruin many previous nice areas such as Gaithersburg. I've heard that Dundalk has started to go downhill somewhat in recent years because of section 8 attracting people from the city and illegal immigrants. College Park has a couple blocks of Section 8 and that area is known for drugs and crime and muggings. I don't think you want to live around Section 8 neighbors anywhere.

Curtis Bay is in Baltimore City, in the southern part of the city. At least the Baltimore Sun doesn't mention a lot of murders there so its probably one of the ok parts of town.
I agree and disagree, anyone can list their house on the registry for section 8, however many areas have HOA or other community boards, that have listed in their bylaws some type of statement that prohibits rentals, or they must approve your rental agreement, blah, blah. And if not, the neigbors (homeowners) would complain and call the police for each and every minor violation that the landlord would have no choice but to eventually kick them out. But I do agree, section 8 can bring an area down quick if the renters are not properly screened. However in this awful market can you blame the landlords? They can't sell, and don't want to just walk away from the property, and how many people are willing to spend 1500-1600 a month for a 3 bedroom in an undesirable location? Section 8 guarantees $1697 for a 3 bedroom. The section 8 renters have to live somewhere too. With declining space in the urban regions, they are being pushed out from the city and into the suburbs. And for the record: Not all people who have a "section 8" voucher are bad, some just need a little help to get over that hump.
Rate this post positively

 
Old 12-02-2008, 09:06 AM
 
Location: Maryland
26 posts, read 157,529 times
Reputation: 28
You get Section 8 in the neighborhood.. The neighborhood turns into a Hood... That is the LAST thing you want in life....
Rate this post positively
 
Old 12-02-2008, 09:14 AM
 
Location: Maryland
26 posts, read 157,529 times
Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool rob View Post
I agree and disagree, anyone can list their house on the registry for section 8, however many areas have HOA or other community boards, that have listed in their bylaws some type of statement that prohibits rentals, or they must approve your rental agreement, blah, blah. And if not, the neigbors (homeowners) would complain and call the police for each and every minor violation that the landlord would have no choice but to eventually kick them out. But I do agree, section 8 can bring an area down quick if the renters are not properly screened. However in this awful market can you blame the landlords? They can't sell, and don't want to just walk away from the property, and how many people are willing to spend 1500-1600 a month for a 3 bedroom in an undesirable location? Section 8 guarantees $1697 for a 3 bedroom. The section 8 renters have to live somewhere too. With declining space in the urban regions, they are being pushed out from the city and into the suburbs. And for the record: Not all people who have a "section 8" voucher are bad, some just need a little help to get over that hump.

What % do you think are bad 35 40% ??? The problem with "Helping to get over the hump" is the hump never stops.....
3 bedroom for $1675 in a Sec 8 hood? yea right, I would not give you 300 a month.. But the Government will keep these people in that kind of hood.... Let the FREE market RULE....
Rate this post positively
 
Old 12-02-2008, 09:54 AM
 
1,196 posts, read 2,774,146 times
Reputation: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigar View Post
What % do you think are bad 35 40% ??? The problem with "Helping to get over the hump" is the hump never stops.....
3 bedroom for $1675 in a Sec 8 hood? yea right, I would not give you 300 a month.. But the Government will keep these people in that kind of hood.... Let the FREE market RULE....
Ok, if 40% are bad, that leaves 60% that are using the government assistance to get somewhere in life, meaning the majority are hardworking, good people like you and me, who happen to get laid off/company closing, retirees trying to live off of social security, single parent house hold with multiple children, etc. Should we just dig a hole in the dessert and throw "those people" into it? If anything this current housing market and economy tells us, is that anybody can get fired, laid off or have their job shipped off to China or have a $1200 mortage note one day and a $3,500 note the next, or unable to drive a tractor trailer because of the rising energy costs, etc. Many times you never know when it happens until it happens, and you may never be prepared for it.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 01-22-2009, 09:54 AM
 
1 posts, read 4,533 times
Reputation: 15
I'm a landlord with several properties that accepts housing vouchers, reading some of these post to a simple question just gives proof to the stero-types people still have about others. First off it's entirely up to the landlord to screen tenants with or without vouchers. Stop putting labels on people,my tenants are employed, loyal, responsible, TAX PAYERS just like anyone else. Remember folks without housing vouchers can be problem tenants!! I rent to them also and they are more likely to have LATE payments or hell just don't pay at all. The positive of housing voucher tenants is that I ALWAYS RECEIVE MY RENT ON TIME !! So with that being said whomever you may choose to rent property to remember every tenant/person is not the perfect one , weather they have section 8 or pay market rent . STEROTYPES ARE NARROW MINDED,INSULTING, AND FALSE !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rate this post positively
 
Old 01-22-2009, 02:50 PM
 
Location: Kettering, MD
22 posts, read 125,869 times
Reputation: 23
Whatever happened to "Wisdom gained from helping our fellow man". I've never been on Section 8 but I grew up around alot of families that were on section 8. Their houses was always clean and as the years passed all but two of the families are still on section 8. The rest have houses or straight out renting. For This dude cigar. The good comes with bad, Bitter comes with the sweet. A word of advice secure yourself, Cause it does not take much for you to get fired, outsourced, or laid off. To be stuck with an exponentially rising mortgage. Or even worse years from now you have kids who have to apply for section 8 themselves. Don't caste the stone homie.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 01-23-2009, 01:32 PM
 
1,831 posts, read 4,194,692 times
Reputation: 1253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Now I don't know if its true but I've heard that the brand new Camden Crossing development in Baltimore City off MLK Boulevard has a lot of Section 8 residents...it is a very beautiful, brand new suburban style development...I sure hope I'm not paying taxes so drug addicts and welfare queens from Greenmount or Sandtown or PG County can relocate there.

Oh, Archie! You'd better stop before we send the Meathead over to tell you to stifle yourself!
Rate this post positively
 
Old 01-31-2009, 01:01 PM
 
Location: Maryland
26 posts, read 157,529 times
Reputation: 28
I just got this notification sorry of a reply...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Now I don't know if its true but I've heard that the brand new Camden Crossing development in Baltimore City off MLK Boulevard has a lot of Section 8 residents...it is a very beautiful, brand new suburban style development...I sure hope I'm not paying taxes so drug addicts and welfare queens from Greenmount or Sandtown or PG County can relocate there.
Yo Yo Ma'Man , So was Murphy homes and all the other high rises that was a great plague in the 70s-80s
until they HAD to be blown down..

.I wish the failing news media would do a story on what who said what when all these Gov housing was built back in the day.. If I remember right some republicans were trying to sound a horn but as usual it fell on idealistic ears....

My friend has sec8 house that he rents out and he gets a ton of money, that is taken from us, from the gov for this house.. I would not live in the neighborhood for love nor money....
Rate this post positively
 
Old 01-31-2009, 01:26 PM
 
Location: Maryland
26 posts, read 157,529 times
Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajeztikJah View Post
Whatever happened to "Wisdom gained from helping our fellow man". I've never been on Section 8 but I grew up around alot of families that were on section 8. Their houses was always clean and as the years passed all but two of the families are still on section 8. The rest have houses or straight out renting. For This dude cigar. The good comes with bad, Bitter comes with the sweet. A word of advice secure yourself, Cause it does not take much for you to get fired, outsourced, or laid off. To be stuck with an exponentially rising mortgage. Or even worse years from now you have kids who have to apply for section 8 themselves. Don't caste the stone homie.
Lots of wisdom and Grace in helping your fellow man... But when the electorate votes in people that literally holds a gun to your head to confiscate money to redistribute it to other people that is no longer "Helping your fellow Man".. That is extortion plane a simple... BIG Difference.. I hope one day you can see the difference..
Rate this post positively
 
Old 04-10-2009, 08:59 PM
 
460 posts, read 1,805,588 times
Reputation: 143
Here's a question brought about by reading this thread - how does a landlord legitimately screen a tenant nowadays without being sued for some form of discrimination if you refuse to allow them to rent from you? ESPECIALLY the section 8 vouchers where the govt is footing the bill (i.e., do these tenant even need to have a job?)
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread
>
Powered by Foreclosure.com


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top