U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 09:48 AM

8 posts, read 15,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.GRIFFIN-WRIGHT View Post
I'm a landlord with several properties that accepts housing vouchers, reading some of these post to a simple question just gives proof to the stero-types people still have about others. First off it's entirely up to the landlord to screen tenants with or without vouchers. Stop putting labels on people,my tenants are employed, loyal, responsible, TAX PAYERS just like anyone else. Remember folks without housing vouchers can be problem tenants!! I rent to them also and they are more likely to have LATE payments or hell just don't pay at all. The positive of housing voucher tenants is that I ALWAYS RECEIVE MY RENT ON TIME !! So with that being said whomever you may choose to rent property to remember every tenant/person is not the perfect one , weather they have section 8 or pay market rent . STEROTYPES ARE NARROW MINDED,INSULTING, AND FALSE !!!!!!!!!!!!!
I appreciate you defending people who have Section 8. It is disheartening to read some of these posts. I am a hardworking single mother of 1, who is a recipient of Section 8, and with this economy it is truly a blessing to have the program. If not for the program, when I got laid off, I might have found myself homeless. This program has allowed me to afford to live in my current home. I am a college graduate, working professional, who feels that if salaries increased as much as (food, utilities, insurance, etc.) then just maybe the amount of people requiring Section 8 would decrease.

I pay my taxes and deserve to live in decent housing just as everyone else does.

By the way, where do you have properties in Maryland. I am possibly relocating to attend graduate school?

Thanks
Rate this post positively

Old 04-12-2009, 01:44 PM

915 posts, read 3,054,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenMarie View Post
I appreciate you defending people who have Section 8. It is disheartening to read some of these posts. I am a hardworking single mother of 1, who is a recipient of Section 8, and with this economy it is truly a blessing to have the program. If not for the program, when I got laid off, I might have found myself homeless. This program has allowed me to afford to live in my current home. I am a college graduate, working professional, who feels that if salaries increased as much as (food, utilities, insurance, etc.) then just maybe the amount of people requiring Section 8 would decrease.

I pay my taxes and deserve to live in decent housing just as everyone else does.

By the way, where do you have properties in Maryland. I am possibly relocating to attend graduate school?

Thanks
How the hell you ended in Section 8 to begin with if you said what you are ...good job, college educated, working professional? I call it BS unless you are making like 7$/hr ....you better find another job. Second, what's your standard of living? are you living beyond your means?
Deserving is one thing, entitlement is another. This great country is built upon hard working people that willing to make sacrifice, to better their living standard. What the mindset of people nowadays are entitlement! I am entitled to have nice house, nice tv, eat brand name crap...and so on.......

Old 04-12-2009, 03:31 PM

To answer your question I have Section 8, simply because I had a need for it when I was in my 20's with a child, working part-time and attending school full-time. And to answer your question I have made up to $20 per hour in both full and part-time positions. With rents being as high as they are I have yet to price out of the program. Before I was laid off from my last position I earned $36,000 annually and with Section 8 I am only responsible for paying 30% of my monthly income towards rent. So therefore I paid $840 per month and Section 8 paid $330 a month, with my total rent being $1175.

As I said before, if I did not have this program I would have struggled to make ends meet. I do not live beyond my means and I pay all my bills on time and in full. There are plenty of people out here today who have more than half of their income go towards rent and struggle just to make it from paycheck to paycheck. I am fortunate and blessed to have Section 8 and I am not ashamed to get the assistance. Even if Section 8 only pays $20 towards my rent with me footing the bulk, i would not let it go until I am earning more than the limit allowed for a family of 2.

As for the job, if the market was better and people were not getting laid off left and right, I may be in a better place. Don't get it twisted, I plan to own my own someday and I will not hesitate to rent to someone who has Section 8, because not all people receiving it are bad. I've lived in the same home for nine years now and I am only moving to attend graduate school. You need to learn more about the program before you make your ignorant comments.

Here is a bit of info that may open your eyes and enlighten you:
(red fonts indicate the category I would fall under if I resided in Maryland and earned the same salary I earned previously)

[SIZE=3]Housing Choice Voucher Income Limits
Effective November 2008 [/SIZE]

Family SizeSection 8
Extremely Low
Income (75%)
Section 8
Very Low
Income (25%)
[SIZE=3]1[/SIZE][SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[RIGHT][SIZE=3]$ 20,650[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]$ 34,450[/SIZE][/RIGHT]
[SIZE=3]2[/SIZE]
[RIGHT][SIZE=3]$ 23,600[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]$ 39,350[/SIZE][/RIGHT]
[SIZE=3]3[/SIZE]
[RIGHT][SIZE=3]$ 26,550[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]$ 44,300[/SIZE][/RIGHT]
[SIZE=3]4[/SIZE]
[RIGHT][SIZE=3]$ 29,500[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]$ 49,200[/SIZE][/RIGHT]
[SIZE=3]5[/SIZE]
[RIGHT][SIZE=3]$ 31,850[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]$ 53,150[/SIZE][/RIGHT]
[SIZE=3]6[/SIZE]
[RIGHT][SIZE=3]$ 34,200[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]$ 57,050[/SIZE][/RIGHT]
[SIZE=3]7[/SIZE]
[RIGHT][SIZE=3]$ 36,600[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]$ 61,000[/SIZE][/RIGHT]
[SIZE=3]8[/SIZE]
[RIGHT][SIZE=3]$ 38,950[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]$ 64,950[/SIZE][/RIGHT]

Bedroom Size
40th Percentile
Fair Market Rents
(Effective 10/01/08)

Payment
Standards

Payment
Standards

(Effective 11/05/08)
Efficiency
[RIGHT]$ 1,002
$1,128
$ 1,102[/RIGHT]
[RIGHT]$ 1,131
$1,285
$ 1,244[/RIGHT]
[RIGHT]$ 1,288
$1,456
$ 1,417[/RIGHT]
[RIGHT] $ 1,647
$1,879
$ 1,812[/RIGHT]
[RIGHT]$ 2,157
$2,459
$ 2,373[/RIGHT]
[RIGHT]$ 2,481
$2,827
$ 2,729[/RIGHT]
[RIGHT]$ 2,804
$3,197
$ 3,084[/RIGHT]
[CENTER][/CENTER]
Below is a link to the Housing Opportunities Commission of Montgomery County, you may find some info that is very useful.
HCV Program & Voucher Payment Standard (http://www.hocmc.org/housing/HCV/HCV-VPS.asp - broken link)

Before you go making your assumptions about people who have Section 8, take stock of the fact that more than half of Americans who do not have it, are wishing they did, with the state of this economy.

Peace and Blessing to You!!!

Old 04-12-2009, 03:42 PM

Sorry the chart isn't legible. If I had the program in Maryland with my previous salary I do not meet the income limits which are currently $39,350 for a family of 2. The current limit they allow for a two bedroom is $1,417 per month. If I rented an apartment for this amount and earned $36,000 annually then I would be responsible for paying $840 and Section 8 would foot the difference of $577.

There are some families who will pay up to 40% towards their rent only to live in a nice and decent neighborhood. If the rent is more than Section 8 allows for thier family size, they are sacrificing to pay more, to have better surroundings.

Again Peace and Blessings to you Myselfdotcom.

Get a Clue!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread
>