Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2008, 07:47 PM

8 posts, read 32,023 times

Advertisements

Hi. We are contemplating moving to Severna Park. Of course we hear lots about it being "snobby" or upscale, but right now there are some very affordable houses (mid 300's to low 400's) that are quite nice and access those awesome SP schools. My question is are there certain neighborhoods to avoid--Carrollton Manor is one that has a home in it we are interested in, but we have no knowledge about the little nooks of SP. Also, my husband would need to travel Benfield to 97--is that horrible traffic-wise?

Thanks for any input!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2008, 06:33 AM

385 posts, read 1,920,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howtochoose View Post
Hi. We are contemplating moving to Severna Park. Of course we hear lots about it being "snobby" or upscale, but right now there are some very affordable houses (mid 300's to low 400's) that are quite nice and access those awesome SP schools. My question is are there certain neighborhoods to avoid--Carrollton Manor is one that has a home in it we are interested in, but we have no knowledge about the little nooks of SP. Also, my husband would need to travel Benfield to 97--is that horrible traffic-wise?

Thanks for any input!!
Carrollton Manor looks like a very nice community - I looked at the HOA website.

I know that Benfield does get backed up during the morning rush hour, but if he leaves early enough, it isn't that bad.

Old 11-04-2008, 07:46 AM

8 posts, read 32,023 times
Good to hear. I'll check that out and of course, just taking a run out there will probably give me a good idea of the types of houses and what else is around. There is one house on Arleigh that is exactly up our alley and it just sounds so nice with water privileges and all the neighborhood amenities. And as far as people being snobby goes, I figure if I don't plop myself in the middle of million dollar homes, I'll probably be okay and even if I did, the reality is that most people are nice and if they are snobby I wouldn't want to deal with them anyway. Mostly I don't want my kids to be harassed if we can't provide a new outfit for every day of the school year! (Literally read that on one blog about a girl!).

Good news is that my husband works nights, so traffic will probably be a nonissue for him, but I figured I'd better check in case there is any change in his schedule.

Thanks for the feedback!!

Old 11-05-2008, 08:12 PM

85 posts, read 249,956 times
I've lived in SP my whole life (give or take a few years here and there), so I know about many of the communities here. Carollton Manor is a nice neighborhood that has some waterfront homes - may have a community waterfront but not sure. Over the last several years many older homes have been renovated or knocked down and re-built, so you'll find a wide variety of house types in that community. Still, it's nice and a great one for families. It's very near the Safeway grocery store. Not sure if it feeds into Benfield Elem or Oak Hill Elem, but both are good (Benfield is a Blue Ribbon School).

For your price range you should be able to find something, but it will most likely be an older home, but that's common in most of SP. If you can find a house you like, I recommend the area for the schools alone. Yes, there are snobby people but like you said, just ignore them! There are also nice, down to earth people all over the place too. I have a 13 year old, and yes, name brands are a big deal to her, but she does babysitting and saves her own money for the big ticket purchases she wants.

A few other nice neighborhoods to check out are Chartridge, Berrywood South, Westridge.

Finally, have you thought about the Arnold area? They are the next town up Rt. 2 towards Annapolis and they also have a wonderful school system. My sister's children have gone there - one in college now - and she's enjoyed it. Some nice neighborhoods in there are Foxmoor and Hunters Pointe.

Good luck!!

Old 05-20-2016, 01:09 PM

39 posts, read 48,935 times
Default What did you decide?

Just curious what you decided. We're looking at Carrollton Manor. It's our first choice, actually. I love so much about it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by howtochoose View Post

Thanks for any input!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland