Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 07:06 AM

29 posts, read 150,641 times

Advertisements

Hi again!

We will be there next week and I am excited about the move! Our Elementary and pre-school going kids are looking forward to it as well.

I hear from everyone that there is a lot to do in this area. What exactly is there to do? I know it depends on one's interests but I thought it would be informative to start a thread that discusses the different things to do and see around the area for all age groups.

This forum has been extremely helpful for those of us moving there.
Thanks to all those knowledgeable people who patiently offer their suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2007, 01:13 PM

165 posts, read 926,002 times
Default What is there to do - exactly?

There's all kinds of stuff to do in the MD/DC/VA areas. You have hundreds of state parks within moderate driving distance, not to mention attractions such as the Baltimore Aquarium, all the many historical buildings/museums in Washington DC...

There's ball parks/arenas for football, baseball, soccer, basketball and of course Hockey. Concerts come to this area from all over the world (we recently saw Trans-Siberian Orchestra for example).

There's certain parts of Maryland that are great for boating (e.g. lots of folks in and near Annapolis like that), there's military bases for folks who like to use the services there (e.g. Andrews AFB near DC and Patuxent NAS further south, many MANY others).

I think you'd have to be a couch potato to NOT find something to do in this part of the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anika1 View Post
Hi again!

We will be there next week and I am excited about the move! Our Elementary and pre-school going kids are looking forward to it as well.

I hear from everyone that there is a lot to do in this area. What exactly is there to do? I know it depends on one's interests but I thought it would be informative to start a thread that discusses the different things to do and see around the area for all age groups.

This forum has been extremely helpful for those of us moving there.
Thanks to all those knowledgeable people who patiently offer their suggestions.

Old 02-21-2007, 02:35 PM

1,463 posts, read 6,219,968 times
Yeah I agree with the poster above. If you can't find something to do than your either blind or not looking.

1. Bmore- Hit the harbor and check out Port Discovery or the Baltimore Aquarium. The inner harbor is great and all kind of restaurants and malls within close proximity. Hit up Lexington Market and check out the dialy catch and local cuisine. You have the Ravens, Orioles, local colleges, parks, malls to see.

2. DC/Nova-- Hit the historic districts/monuments. You can spend days and weeks doing this. Hit up the convention centers and local restaurants. You can also check out the Wizards, Nationals, Redskins, Gtown, Gdub, and the University of Maryland. Howard Univeristy football game is pretty good as well. Just so much to choose each week like I said that you'll have no problem staying busy on weekends...

Old 02-21-2007, 02:59 PM

8 posts, read 34,856 times
Are you visiting in or near Baltimore City? If so the Inner Harbor has The Maryland Science Center, The National Aquarium, Top of The World Trade Center, USS Torsk (WWII Submarine), USS Constellation, and more. But don't miss Port Discovery. It's my favorite place for kids to burn off energy. These are family oriented.
The Yuppies hang out on Cross Street (just go south on Light Street a few blocks to the Cross Street Market then find parking lmao). Mother's is my favorite (for lunch and off peak otherwise to much activity for me). Or from the Inner Harbour take a water taxi to Fells Point.
Did I mention The ESPN Zone or The Visionary Art Museum (I didn't "get it" but I liked it, been meaning to go back).
Only one caution, don't go on a walking tour around the 400 block of E. Baltimore Street with the kids. This is "The Block" of Gypsy Rose Lee fame. and it ain"t what it use to be (sigh).
Need more?

Old 02-23-2007, 12:21 PM

Will definitely check the placed sugested. I also hope to get a volunteer position at one of the museums.

What are some websites and papers that list the events and activities?

Old 02-23-2007, 04:02 PM

184 posts, read 750,933 times
If you're moving to the DC area, you could join the huge DC Urban Moms email list. There is a web site: dcurbanmom.org, I think.

There is a Washington Parent (or Families?) magazine which is free. I see it at Whole Foods sometimes. The Washington Post web site has an "Entertainment" section which lists kids' activities. There is also a book put out by Green Acres School called "Going Places with Kids....in Washington, DC." You might find a used copy -- it's been around for a long time. It has good ideas.

Old 02-24-2007, 07:41 PM

I know posters prefer hearing from people who have "been there, done that" but Google "Baltimore Museum". I think you will be surprised. Most web sites you link to will have a link for volunteers or at least "contact us" email addresses and/or phone numbers.
Baltimore City lacks glamour and, imho, dosen't do a good job of promotion. But it is rich in history and has lots to see and do. Check out the Visitor's Center at The Inner Harbor. I have not been in it, so I don't know how useful it will be for you. But I agree with the published criticism that the style of the building is out of place for the Inner Harbor.
Here are a few suggestions without Google(ing): The Walters Art Museum, The Baltimore Museum Of Art, The Maryland Historical Society, The Reginald F. Lewis Museum of Maryland African American History & Culture.

Old 02-24-2007, 07:54 PM

Baltimore City Newspapers web sites:
www.citypaper.com
www.baltimoresun.com
www.examiner.com

Old 03-04-2007, 03:18 PM

Teleblazer, Zippy7fo, mdwebrover, silverspringer,

Thanks for the suggestions. I am sure I will have more questions once we settle in.

Old 10-15-2007, 09:17 AM

1 posts, read 4,903 times
Red face FamiliesAboutTown.com

Come check out a new site with loads of local information for Annapolis/Baltimore families. Activities, events, resources... and you can customize the information to match your family's location, kids' ages, favorite things to do, budget, etc. Created by a local mom -- great free resource to help you get aquainted with all the family-friendly activities in the area. http://www.FamiliesAboutTown.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
View detailed profiles of: