Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2008, 02:38 PM

103 posts, read 537,701 times

Advertisements

I'm curious whether anyone has had experience with negotiating down prices with area new home builders (beyond the deals they publicly advertise). For instance, has anyone had any luck in securing free options, reducing lot premiums, or having the builder cover closing costs? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2008, 04:01 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,490,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmemk View Post
I'm curious whether anyone has had experience with negotiating down prices with area new home builders (beyond the deals they publicly advertise). For instance, has anyone had any luck in securing free options, reducing lot premiums, or having the builder cover closing costs? Thanks!
Sure they have! ask some of the people who live in Savannah Overlook in Denton-on the Eastern Shore! (Ryland Homes)
Many of them not only got help with their closing costs but LARGE seller subsidies also! They made out great while the rest of us were to stupid I guess to ask and a year later we have to have to sell our homes because of relocations and can't because the people who own the same home they bought months after you did was sold to them for almost $120K Less because of the seller subsidies.

SO yes-go for it! they are out there for those who ask, I am sure even more help is available now.

Last edited by NYMD67; 12-04-2008 at 04:02 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 12-04-2008, 07:33 PM

460 posts, read 1,876,359 times
It really depends on the builder and how sales are moving in that specific development. We looked in Clarksburg a year ago, not much movement (but didn't bother going back later as we decided we were not interested in that area), and much more recently at Dan Ryan Builders in Frederick - in August. They offered $15K in closing at the time and $35K in incentives- that was it. They were not budging off price. And to me personally, I add 50-100K to the base price because I know that is what it is going to take to get it to what I want when pricing a new home out. . . I don't know what they're doing now. We ended up buying a resale in Laurel that we are thrilled with.

I agree with the above poster - you don' tknow unless you ask. Get an agent to go with you b/c the cost for an agent is built into the list price of the houses. They act to represent your interests (if you have a good, honest one like we did). Definitely ask in this market. But I think that it definitely is specific to each builder and development - if they are selling alright, they have less incentive to offer incentives. If they are desperate, they will act accordingly.

Old 12-04-2008, 08:21 PM

250 posts, read 1,377,425 times
it really does depend on the builder. find an agent that does a lot of new construction deals, they should have a very good idea of what builders are willing to slash in the area. even in this market, there are builders that will NOT discount, and others willing to take 10-20% off their asking price!!

I also firmly believe in the concept that "it never hurts to ask". bear in mind that a big part of the game is not what you ask for, but HOW you ask for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland