Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 03:12 PM

142 posts, read 538,154 times

Advertisements

Hello, I've posted this before but received no replies so now that its been a while, I'll ask again.

I currently live in a condo in Adams Morgan in DC and my husband and I want to move to Maryland. He works at Bolling Air Force base in Anacostia. We want to start a family and, therefore, we would like to upgrade in size but downgrade in price. I want to live in a nice, friendly area with good schools. He wants to take metro to work so we're most likely looking at something near a red line or green line station. He can drive to the metro if need be. I would really prefer a house with a yard to a TH. My best guess is Silver Spring but I think prices might be too high for what we want. Our budget is $400,00. I would appreciate any advise. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2008, 06:02 PM

51 posts, read 311,502 times
The closest Metro station to Bolling is Anacostia (green line) and I wouldn't exactly call it walking disitance. Even if it was he'd be walking through the worst projects in DC to get there (Barry Farms). Is he opposed to transferriing to a Metrobus from the train?

Ummm on a budget of $400,000 you should be able to find some decent sized SFH's in Forest Glen, Wheaton or Glenmont. I've heard Wheaton has gone down witiht he quality of life though...

Old 01-05-2008, 07:08 PM

2,652 posts, read 4,797,840 times
Walking from Anacostia Station to Bolling is NOT feasible. There is a shuttle from the station to Bolling, though. Barry Farms is ONE of the worst ghettos here. Maybe you should look into Temple Hills, MD. There is a different side of Temple Hills. A co-worker moved there. I was differently surprised. It's close to the green line and Bolling. Good Luck!!

Old 01-05-2008, 08:43 PM

There is a shuttle bus from Anacostia to Bolling that he currently takes from where we live in Columbia Heights so that's not an issue. So Forest Glen and Glenmont are nice?

Old 01-05-2008, 09:34 PM

17 posts, read 71,152 times
I would check out Crofton...it was number 72 on the list of top 100 places to live. The schools are excellent...we live on what is called the Crofton parkway which is a 3 mile loop of houses that
surrounds a golf course. Our home backs to the 14th green, the community's rating speaks for itself. We just listed and I was surprised at the activity considering the market.

Crofton Woods is our elementary school and Crofton Middle is our Middle school. They are rated amongst the top in the state.

Here is the article from Money Magazine on Crofton placing 72 on the nation's top 100 places to live..."Launched as a gated community in 1964, Crofton's builders named it after a small town in England whose name had the right ring. The suburban community of 20,000, a 30-minute drive from Baltimore, quickly expanded and the gates were soon opened. The town is centered around a scenic 3.5 mile road that encloses the Crofton Country Club. Walkers, joggers and cyclists use paths on the route. The town has three elementary schools, one middle school and two high schools, and is also near to Annapolis and Washington D.C."

I'm sure you can search the stats of Crofton and check out its crime statistics, percentage of people with college degrees, quality of life, etc.

If you would like more detailed information send me a direct message.

Old 01-06-2008, 12:07 AM

Interesting, what is the Crofton high school? What about Edgewater? How does it compare? Longer commute than Crofton? Thanks so much!

Old 01-06-2008, 07:38 PM

629 posts, read 946,173 times
Forest Glen and Glenmont (and Wheaton) should be decent--although there are bad neighborhoods to avoid of course-- and you should be able to find something in that range. Have you checked out Takoma Park?

Old 01-07-2008, 09:08 AM

Yeah, nothing under 400K in Takoma Park. But thanks!

Old 01-08-2008, 07:45 AM

273 posts, read 1,483,397 times
You could move down to Charles County...I would move further south into Charles though, La Plata for better schools. The commute to Boiling is pretty easy via Indian Head Hwy. 210. Maybe 45 min. or so.

Old 12-09-2008, 01:55 PM

5 posts, read 28,627 times
does anyone know about the commute to boling. I am coming from the howard county maryland
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland