Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 12:02 PM

13,003 posts, read 1,019,569 times

Advertisements

I don't know about you but I was given a gift from Maryland 5 days furlough but June 1.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 05:48 PM

151 posts, read 693,497 times
does the layoff include correctional officers? does anyone know?

Old 01-31-2009, 12:23 PM

1,802 posts, read 8,162,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
One thought would be to decrease heating costs for public buildings in the winter time. Just like in Japan, I would decrease the room temperature in public building to 62 degrees in the daytime and decrease it to 55 degrees for off work hours. Maryland can save around $500 a month per public office that is operated. Now, that's how you save money so you do not have to lay off workers.
The real problem with this idea is the outdated state buildings and the resulting inefficiency and inconsistency of the hvac system. In the state building where I work, one side of the building is literally 55 degrees, while the other is in the mid-80's. It's ridiculous. Some employees are working with hats and gloves on, and others have to strip down to the bare minimum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolnana5 View Post
have you ever walked into any one of the government run offices or state agency's???? these have got to be the slowest bunch of people i have ever seen in my life.. if they performed any slower, they'd be napping.. put all government workers on piece work.. they get paid according to their performance.. maybe then they wouldn't move their butts and hustle a bit.. geez..
This is offensive, and while there may be some state employees who are this way, there are others that work their butts off, trying to do more and more work with fewer and fewer resources. My staff works extremely hard, and most of them put in many more hours of their own time, after hours, on weekends, and at home, without any compensation. You will find lazy employees everywhere. I have experienced what you describe at many private businesses - stores, service centers, restaurants, medical offices, etc. Inefficiency certainly isn't unique to state government. But many hardworking, service oriented people work in government agencies as well as in the private sector. And it's not true that a state employee cannot be fired. I have personally fired 3 in the last 4 years for unsatisfactory performance. And this is in an office of only 13 total staff members.

Old 02-03-2009, 01:32 PM

460 posts, read 1,876,929 times
[quote=cool rob;7227956]And as well, I like you!

However can you imagine the implications of a white teacher forcing one of the only black kids in class to clean up the other white kids urine and feces day in an day out, even though he is a constant behavior problem and a disruption?

That just reeks of impropriety and can be grounds for a serious lawsuit, or worse some angry moms and dads ready to bust some A$$!!

True. well, we live in a litigious society so anyone is ripe for a lawsuit at any moment. . .

I also would frame this up as a directive from the top, the leadership at the school - the principal. I've said before it comes from the top down and this way there is a process to follow where some teacher, black or white, doesn't just decide on a whim that they are going to make black and white kids do this - in other words, it comes swiftly but with prior warning that if you decide to display this behavior one more time (after initial offense) that you're going to meet with the principal

And then the consequence is pretty harsh. Ergo, the kids realize that the top dog isn't playing around, the teacher is going to have someone cover their back when they are disciplining in the classroom and they'd better just follow the rules, which are for everyone's betterment.

And hopefully it would never be just a white teacher making a black kid do this - I know so many spoiled white kids it's pathetic.

Old 02-04-2009, 10:22 AM

2,283 posts, read 3,935,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanAnomie View Post
Nooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!! Not the Garden State!!!!

Guess I better close up shop and move in with my friends in gentrified SF.

Just kidding.

So how do NJ people deal with insane amounts of community dysfunction and stress, other than developing neo-Darwinian traits of unparalleled cruelty and toughness? Does NJ have a lot of HOAs?
Unparalled cruelty and toughness is living in the MD suburbs where neighbors don't even acknowledge each other's existense.

Old 02-05-2009, 04:35 PM

1 posts, read 1,617 times
i lve at the eastern shore of md. we do provide a lot of the revenue and taxes for md.but it is being sent to baltimore .it is not welfare needed at the eastern shore .clinics are needed .rehab for drugusers ,which is big down here , womenshelp .out of personal experience ,dental .never any funding for needy .that makes the quality of life o %.baltimore has all kind of programs .worchester ,nothing .poor people work still at 7 $ per hour or less than minimum wage .housing is over the top .rentals are being mistreated ,cause no affordable housing .do not tell me different .been here for 15 years .iam o.k. but i listen to folks who work ,not on welfare and rent is 600 -1400 .its sad .rich people live here but do mostly not work here .our money being made here needs to be reinvested here .if you need numbers ,i will give you numbers .this place is most unfair system .ratio from poor to rich 3-1.lets make south maryland and north maryland .iam tired to pay for baltimore and other cities .my money my eastern shore .

Old 02-05-2009, 05:10 PM

915 posts, read 3,180,688 times
I totally forgotten about this post....ok when I posted this thread, I was more thinking about Baltimore City. I worked a lot in the city. I basically run all over the city at troubleshoting communications equipments and such. I was on the downtown area, NE, NW, west, south, east.

I keep wondering who do people actually do for living, while they can afford to drive decent cars, nice clothings.....fancy blackberry when they have no idea what's blackberry for? Iphone...siting around do nothing in mid-afternoon.
Section 8, goverment housing runs to ground even though it's pretty newly renovated or new altogether?

Last edited by 7th generation; 02-06-2009 at 03:16 PM..

Old 02-06-2009, 03:34 PM

217 posts, read 416,860 times
i am a senior and for years often had to go into state run offices.. mva, social security, irs, va, city hall etc.. haven't you all noticed how slow these workers are.. if they worked any slower they would be napping.. its ridiculous to wait wait and wait why they piddle around.. and thats for all of them. i have often written our @#$%^ governor and office of budget about putting these workers on Piece work.. or production work.. the more they do the more they get paid.. you have 5 workers doing the job that 1 person could do very well alone.. i feel sorry for the ones getting layed off, but our government has doubled in 20 years and everyone hires their inlaws etc..its terrible

Old 02-06-2009, 03:38 PM

217 posts, read 416,860 times
Default oh goodness

have you ever thought that maybe the black kid was the only kid around at the time or the closest to the situation or maybe he was the only one that laughed or made a stupid comment on a sick kid and teacher paid him back.. this black white issue is so out of hand.. now with our white/black president, we should all be grateful..
[quote=trying2moveup;7304375]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool rob View Post
And as well, I like you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool rob View Post

However can you imagine the implications of a white teacher forcing one of the only black kids in class to clean up the other white kids urine and feces day in an day out, even though he is a constant behavior problem and a disruption?

That just reeks of impropriety and can be grounds for a serious lawsuit, or worse some angry moms and dads ready to bust some A$$!!

True. well, we live in a litigious society so anyone is ripe for a lawsuit at any moment. . .

I also would frame this up as a directive from the top, the leadership at the school - the principal. I've said before it comes from the top down and this way there is a process to follow where some teacher, black or white, doesn't just decide on a whim that they are going to make black and white kids do this - in other words, it comes swiftly but with prior warning that if you decide to display this behavior one more time (after initial offense) that you're going to meet with the principal

And then the consequence is pretty harsh. Ergo, the kids realize that the top dog isn't playing around, the teacher is going to have someone cover their back when they are disciplining in the classroom and they'd better just follow the rules, which are for everyone's betterment.

And hopefully it would never be just a white teacher making a black kid do this - I know so many spoiled white kids it's pathetic.

Old 02-07-2009, 06:20 PM

915 posts, read 3,180,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolnana5 View Post
i am a senior and for years often had to go into state run offices.. mva, social security, irs, va, city hall etc.. haven't you all noticed how slow these workers are.. if they worked any slower they would be napping.. its ridiculous to wait wait and wait why they piddle around.. and thats for all of them. i have often written our @#$%^ governor and office of budget about putting these workers on Piece work.. or production work.. the more they do the more they get paid.. you have 5 workers doing the job that 1 person could do very well alone.. i feel sorry for the ones getting layed off, but our government has doubled in 20 years and everyone hires their inlaws etc..its terrible
then again you won't know what else going on behind the scene right? I am for one not a state employee but I do work with a lot of them. I am a consultant. Yes there is always bad apples among the bunch but also there are a lot of good hardworking men in the group. Just because you are paying their salary don't mean you can demeaning them....i mean look at the Comcast CSR, Verizon CSR, or installers and a lot of unionized workers...it's the same everywhere.

Last edited by 7th generation; 02-08-2009 at 03:49 PM.. Reason: watch your language
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland