Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2009, 10:31 PM

903 posts, read 3,505,869 times

Advertisements

Hi neighbors!

We live in DE, but our daughter is working on getting into the US Naval Academy for college, etc. She is a senior in high school now, but as a parent we are worrying about this step already!

Any info out here about Annapolis, both relating to academy or not??? Thanks for any parental perspective that might be posted!

Mary
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 11:31 AM

106 posts, read 442,238 times
My brother went to the academy years ago. There is no education like a military education. If you haven't seen the campus yet you might want to go and tour it, it's fabulous. I think there is still some sexism (more than public universities) but still an amazing experience. Has she gotten her referrals yet?

I would condsider having my children try out for either USNA or another military academy but they have medical issues that will prevent them from being excepted.

Annapolis is a wonderful quaint city. It is not very big and beautiful. It is expensive.

Old 01-29-2009, 02:32 PM

48 posts, read 158,763 times
My husband and I were sponsors for two midshipmen. It is a voluntary program, with a thorough background check by the Academy, for local families to welcome Plebes into their homes for a little down time during their freshmen year. We always looked at it as an opportunity for our guys to put their elbows on the table and slouch. We continued the realtionship all four years but only the first year is "mandatory". We are still in touch with our guys 3 years after they graduated and love them dearly.

Having said that, the Plebe year is very well regulated and the freshmen are only allowed off base when with their sponsors. We took ours to the mall, out to eat, hanging out at our house (when laundry time was very popular), etc.

As for Annapolis, most midshipmen are only allowed downtown and the mall. Both of which are realatively safe. I would highly recommend that you all just take a weekend and drive over to Annapolis and just hang around the city and walk around base and just get a general feel for the area. I loved it there and would move back in a heartbeat.

Old 01-31-2009, 07:43 PM

7 posts, read 33,409 times
I grew up with USNA in my face and I hold a very special place in my heart for it. I consider it my hometown. I believe most of the midshipmen are well taken care of but should be alert when leaving the grounds of the academy. Most are respected by the locals but you do have a few bad apples that don't. As with any place you go in the US or internationally, you have to be aware of where you are etc. All in all, I would not be so worried as a parent of a son/daughter attending there. There have also been a few incidents within the academy, but again, pick your friends wisely and be aware of your surroundings.

Old 02-01-2009, 11:39 AM

51 posts, read 204,584 times
Here in Annapolis, the naval academy is very much a part of the city. Downtown there's always mids walking around and it's makes the Annapolis what it is. A lot of people go to the football games, some to the basketball games.

The naval academy is viewed very positively around here. A lot of people are heavily involved with it.

As for Annapolis as the city, it's ok. It's expensive - the homes, eating, stores, etc. It's nice though, don't get me wrong. There is some crime, but then again it is a city, so it's expected.
It's really getting built up around here, and I'm noticing traffic is getting worse around Riva road/west street.

Old 02-25-2009, 12:19 PM

1 posts, read 2,990 times
I just sent my daughter off to the Academy last summer. She's also only 17 years old. Let me tell you this. I worry far less about her and her safety than I have my older child who went to a state school.

First - if she goes - she will have limited time off the Yard (campus). When she does have time off, she will be in uniform and usually with a few other Mids. The Annapolis citizens LOVE "their" Mids and take care of them. ....not that they need to be taken care of....

Second - if she goes - she will be trained well during that plebe summer. Her senses will be heightened. She will be confident after learning defense, marksmanship, and struggling through confidence courses. Somehow in 6 weeks they teach these kids to be strong, confident adults capable of making very good decisions.

Third - if she goes - she will have a great network. My daughter says she feels more equality among gender at the Academy than anywhere else. That's because they all have to pull together and hold their own. They all depend upon one another. Not to say she hasn't had a couple of guys crossing the line - but that's a LOT less than other women face at regular schools. She has always felt safe. In fact, she just got back from visiting a regular college and said "no thank you." The network includes student leaders who your daughter will be able to turn to. The network includes faculty who truly TRULY will be there for her. (Like all entering plebes, my daughter had to memorize phone numbers of faculty "just in case" they ever had any problem outside the Yard.) They will be given sponsor parents who will dote on your child every moment they can (giving them meals, taking them to the airport, just providing them a nice sofa to lounge on).

As for Annapolis - I have fallen in love with that town! It's safe to walk around. It's easy to drive around. There's lots to see and do. It is expensive, but remember how I said the families love their Mids? Well - I've been offered places to stay when I come into town from complete strangers just because they want to support the families. (Many are retired military.) You should see the town line the streets every weekend during home football games just to cheer on the Mids as they march by (and passing out real - as opposed to dorm - food for them to eat).

Honestly - I could think of no other college I'd rather have my daughter at. Yes, that plebe summer of letting go and worrying about my child was tortuous and heartwrenching. It's one tough summer with many parents getting the most gut wrenching letters and phone calls. BUT - after that, to know your child loves where she is, is completely safe, and accepted and supported in the community in that manner. It's amazing. (My daughter says even when she flies home in uniform the level of support in the airports is truly endearing.)

The hardest thing will be for you to let go, but it's such an amazing thing to see your child become this amazing, independent, and truly capable young adult. I'd trust my daughter's judgment in a heartbeat now.

Heading up there this weekend!....YEAH!!!!!!

Old 02-27-2009, 11:41 AM

269 posts, read 1,002,360 times
But what nobody tells you about is that a lot of hazing and bullying goes on among Midshipmen. I participated in NROTC at Univ. of Illinois, and as one of only 2 African-Americans and 5 females in my class of 35 or so Midshipmen, they tried to make my life hell! Perhaps it's different at the academy, but in general the guys seem to have deep-seated resentment towards women in the military, especially at the Officer Level.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:19 PM

1 posts, read 2,755 times
i have recently vistied my sister and her kids and there husband/father is in the navy and is based in annapolis they live at the naval house in annapolis it is a wonderful place i would visit there again i am only 18 years old and i felt honared to anywhere around the base and will i was on the base i looked up to all the people in uniforms there. there is a hotel there within five mins of the academy. if anyone is worried about there child going there. there is no need to worry it is a very nice place and all the people there enjoy and appricate all that the military personall there i would highly recommand it if your child is/wanting to go there

Old 05-09-2009, 05:34 PM

54 posts, read 190,061 times
You can't compare NROTC to the Academy. Two different lifestyles and experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland