Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2009, 11:08 PM

2 posts, read 13,744 times

Advertisements

I received a speeding ticket today for going 86 in a 55. I still don't think I was going quite that fast-- I didn't realize it was a cop behind me (yeah, I know, I wasn't really paying enough attention), I just thought someone was tailing me so I sped up but then he pulled me over. I know it was very stupid and I'm sure I was speeding regardless, though.

I have a clean record, but I'm only twenty and my insurance is high enough as it is. I'm also a bit tight on funds, but I have enough to pay the fine. I'd like to avoid the points on my license if possible. From what I understand, my best bet would be to plead guilty at a hearing and hope for Probation Before Judgement.

However, I have several concerns. First, I'm planning on studying abroad this coming semester, and I'm leaving the country in less than three weeks. Is there a way for me to speed up the process so that I can arrange a hearing before I leave? I'm also worried that I will be assessed court fees if I do this. The ticket itself amounts to over half of my savings (I have a really low-paying job), so I wouldn't be able to afford much more.

To be frank, my biggest concern is that my parents don't find out. I moved out of my apartment a week ago and am currently living with them until I leave the country, and they seem to resent the situation enough as it is; I really don't want to aggravate them any more. Namely, my dad gave me frequent flier miles for Christmas, to help offset the cost of my flights, but now he keeps threatening to take them away whenever he is in a bad mood (I didn't think that was how Christmas presents were supposed to work, but he disagrees). Given the ticket fine, I will not be able to go if he withdraws his support, and my scholarship will fold and it will be a huge mess.

The car is also not technically mine; I have to pay for my insurance on it, but my parents arranged it so that I pay them and then they pay the insurance company. They insisted on this protocol if I wanted to drive "their car" (my grandmother gave it to them, but I'm generally the only one who drives it, and I pay for gas and maintenance etc). So they will know if my rates go up. They are very controlling.

I also don't want them to take away my driving privileges, as we live in the middle of nowhere and there is no other way to get places-- no sidewalks, public transport, anything. My bike was stolen earlier this year, so I don't even have that.

There are a plethora of other reasons why I really, really can't have them find out (at the very least until I'm well out of the country, but preferably never), but those are the most pressing.

So, how can I go about doing this as quickly and quietly as possible?

Thanks in advance for the advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 02:51 PM

460 posts, read 1,877,029 times
I speak from getting a misdeamoner in VA back in the early 90s for going 88 in a 65 on Rt. 66 in the middle of bumfrick nowhere (yes, once you hit a certainly threshold in terms of MPH over the limit you can get a misdeamoner, I don't know what that limit is in Maryland but I know I was mandated to go to court and it seems you are not - it's called "reckless endangerment by speed").

BE HONEST - with everyone. Go to court and tell the judge that you were speeding. Tell him/her you're thankful you didn't kill anyone. Just speak plainly and keep it short and too the point. Most likely if your record is clean you will pay a fine and court costs (and it will be reduced from the amount on the ticket) and get 3 years of PBJ. Then you need to keep your nose clean for 3 years.

You're 20 and I'm 38 so I think i speak with some experience here - don't try to lie your way out of it to anyone. What a tangled web we weave, once we practice to deceive. . . If you don't think you can get a court date before you leave, then you have to pay the fine (call the courthouse where you will have to appear if you don't pay and ask them about this situation - have documentation handy about your upcoming study abroad to prove to them that you are not faking this as an excuse - see what they say).
Regardless, if you try to lie it seems your parents will find out b/c of the insurance set up you have with them. I say, come clean because in the end it really is best to be honest up front.

In my situation I went before the judge ( and the cop showed up - the VA cops are killer, I tell ya) told him I was thankful that I didn't kill anyone and that I was reckless and had poor judgement, shed a tear (because I was nervous as h-ll and scared to death), and shut up. I got a reduced fine and court costs and reduced points from three to one, I think. I told my parents even though i was on my own insurance and my dad went to Manassass with me to court. My parents were p'od beyond belief and i knew it would be that way so telling them was no small feat. . .

I told them b/c I am not good at keeping big things like this from them and I was living under their roof at the time and figured I needed to respect that. Also, in Virginia you can go to jail for this type of driving violation so I consider myself very lucky. The judge also could have taken my license for a year. I really think just being up front and honest about it made the difference, especially when in front of the judge.

Another thing that is probably not really relavent here but when you have your own children (I'm assuming you don't have any), you will understand some of this "controlling" behavior. I'm not saying you don't have a case because I don't know you or the full situation, but when you have your own children to be responsible for you will have a better understanding of where your parents may be coming from. It is something you will NOT understand until you go through it yourself. So that probably doesn't help but being older and with kids, i can "see" some of what they are doing with the car. The thought of my 2 girls driving in the next 10-15 years scares me to absolute death.
Good luck.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:58 PM

5 posts, read 30,335 times
I would recommend you getting a traffic lawyer. Google the list of traffic lawyers in the county that your hearing was set to be. You will probably spend $100 and not more than $200 for it, it depends... The lawyer will represent you, and good thing is..you don't need to be present in that hearing. Lawyers have ways to win the case in every way they want to... 99 percent of the time they win every single case, unless you killed somebody.. but as what you have told us, you did not... so i think you have a brighter tomorrow...

Based on my experience, I failed to stop on a School Bus, which is the highest penalty and points you could ever get.... Then, we scouted for a traffic lawyer, then she represented us, then a month or two after, she sent us a copy of our case dismissal.... We paid $250.00 for everything she's done...which I think is very Fair enough... If we opted to pay the fine which is I think around $300-$500, plus the 5 points, plus the anxiety and loss of wages from attending the hearing....And most of all the possible humiliation you'll get from the judge.. I would definitely urge you to find a lawyer...

Best of luck!!!

Old 01-30-2009, 08:38 AM

314 posts, read 930,905 times
Go to court and be honest and you will probably get the fine reduced or thrown out.

Old 02-03-2009, 01:11 PM

460 posts, read 1,877,029 times
I agree with Cancan - you're a first offender, by what you have told us. Throw yourself on the mercy of the judge - and by that I mean, dress up in a suit, be humble, speak when spoken to, and make sure to say at least twice that you are 1) extremely sorry, 2) exhibited extremely poor judgement and 3) are extremely sorry.

The judge did not humiliate me - i guess he could see I was contrite enough and bascially crapping my pants being there. . .
$250 for ANY lawyer seems like a bargain - I mean, from start to finish only $250???? Our lawyer's rate is $300. . . . an HOUR.

If you're going to be out of the country during the hearing, then definitely get a lawyer because if you don't show up, you'll be in much, much, much more trouble.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:04 AM

206 posts, read 798,066 times
You don't need a lawyer. Please don't waste your money on one. I'll tell you what you should do. Get to the courtroom early and bring a copy of your driving record. Speak to the State's Attorney. That'll be the guy prosecuting you for the state. Tell him your story and he'll work with the judge. If those two agree you'll get your PBJ for about 17 months. Tell him about you insurance rates also. They are usually good with first time offenders.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:13 AM

703 posts, read 2,942,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upinflamezzz View Post
You don't need a lawyer. Please don't waste your money on one. I'll tell you what you should do. Get to the courtroom early and bring a copy of your driving record. Speak to the State's Attorney. That'll be the guy prosecuting you for the state. Tell him your story and he'll work with the judge. If those two agree you'll get your PBJ for about 17 months. Tell him about you insurance rates also. They are usually good with first time offenders.
Maryland traffic court has no state attorney present. It's just you, the cop, and the judge. You wait your turn (going early means you wait longer) while he goes through the docket. When he calls you, you plead to the judge and he decides. PBJ is usually 12 months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland