U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 10:18 PM

9,790 posts, read 14,477,035 times

Advertisements

Actually specifically about Ravens fans, Natty Boh and crabcakes. I'm actually curious about how far across Maryland and surrounding states does the Baltimore culture extend, like the local accent (with "hon" and all), support for the Ravens and the popularity of Natty Boh. Crabcakes it seems is a Maryland thing since the Eastern Shore also has great crabcakes and the best I've had were in Cambridge.

Do people in places like Hagerstown, Frederick and the Eastern Shore cheer for the Ravens? I've been to Elkton and it seems split between Eagles and Ravens. PG and Montgomery are Redskins territory obviously but I don't know about Southern Maryland like Calvert and St. Mary's Counties. When I was on the Eastern Shore I visited a restaurant/bar in Cambridge and ordered Natty Boh and was told they did not have it. I've seen Natty Boh in liquor stores in Gaithersburg and College Park. How popular is it statewide? As for the Baltimore accent I've heard it most pronounced around Dundalk, Perry Hall and Overlea (not so much in Towson, Arundel Mills or Howard County.)

Anyone concerned the local culture is dying out? Especially the hon accents? To me it seems that authentic Baltimore the guide books talk about is found more around Dundalk and Essex than the city itself. Yeah the ghetto lowlives, hoodrats and gangstas that congregate around Lexington Market are "real Baltimore" too but thats not the image we want.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 09:30 AM

6,102 posts, read 9,744,398 times
The boundaries of the Baltimore metro area as defined by the census bureau (a subunit of the larger Baltimore-Washington MSA) is a good guide to the cultural area of Baltimore.

Crabcakes are a MD thing, not just a Baltimore thing. Natty Boh isn't made in Baltimore anymore. It is just the same cheap beer made in some huge factory in San Antonino and poured into one of dozens of locally recognized cans for mass consumption. I suspect it is still popular for camp value among hipsters, but I am not sure how much "street cred" it has among long time locals.

Old 02-18-2009, 06:56 PM

9,790 posts, read 14,477,035 times
A lot of locals still drink Natty Boh and many bars here have specials for it and its still seen as a local beer in Baltimore and some of the suburbs especially toward the eastern burbs. I personally dont' find a unique Baltimore feel around Columbia or Towson despite those being in the area, the feel is more pronounced in some parts of the city and areas like Dundalk and Overlea.

Sicne your out in Western Maryland near where Pittsburgh influence starts, can you actually say how Natty Boh compares with Iron City? The Sun had an article on that once during the playoffs where obviously Natty Boh won out.

Old 02-19-2009, 07:52 AM

4,273 posts, read 10,908,474 times
People attempt to create crabcakes well up into central PA. If we feel a need to go to a larger box (such as IKEA or REI) than exists in Harrisburg area, we head to Baltimore (well, White Marsh or Timonium respectively) instead of Philly area because it's a little closer, and for us BWI is the next airport we search airfares for over MDT. I can actually get fuzzy semi-watchable Baltimore TV stations at home (a hill just oustide of Hershey) but the DTV transition will probably clear them away.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:13 AM

6,102 posts, read 9,744,398 times
You start to see Steelers fans in recognizable numbers in Frederick and Washington Counties and by the time you get to Allegany and Garrett County they are far and away the most popular team. The Cumberland Times-News did a survey last year and it was something like 50% Steelers fans, 20% for Skins, 20% for Ravens, 10% someone else. A new survey will be coming out in the next few weeks.

Cumberland is a Coors Light town. You can buy IC in some stores, and maybe Natty Boh. But to be honest, I have never tried IC and think Natty Boh tastes like a dead crab fell in the vat...maybe that is the appeal.

Cumberland used to have its own two breweries that produced Old German and Old Export beers for regional consumption. They both went under in the 1970s. IC owns the label rights to Old German, but what they put in the cans is worse swill than your average cheap beer.

Old 02-19-2009, 12:14 PM

704 posts, read 1,980,131 times
don't forget all the baltimore commuters in south central pa.
also i bet they've been bmore sports fans for a while (the natives) but not sure about beer. well pitt and philly fans too but perhaps mostly bmore fans, at least the farther south you go.

Old 02-19-2009, 07:34 PM

3,520 posts, read 8,740,971 times
The southern half of York County, PA (including York itself) is generally a Baltimore-oriented area, though with sports it is more like that with the Orioles than the Ravens. Portions of Adams County and Lancaster County also orient themselves towards Baltimore as the "larger" city.

Old 11-29-2009, 08:11 AM

791 posts, read 2,663,719 times
You mentioned speech accent. In my experience, Eastern Shore residents have a similar nasal vowels accent as Baltimore. The long "OH" sound is pronounced as "OU" or "UU".

Old 11-29-2009, 09:05 AM

418 posts, read 1,651,912 times
The influence outside of the city is strongest in Baltimore County and Anne Arundel Co. In places like Arbutus or Dundalk or Glen Burnie, you're sometimes more likely to hear the Baltimore accent than you are in the city. There's also a good bit of influence on some parts of the Eastern shore, since so many Baltimore-area people vacation or move there. (A lot of Orioles and Ravens fans out there!) But as you get into the southern Eastern shore it starts seeming more like the south, and in some counties near VA you might hear a southern accent as much as a Maryland one.

It seems to me that Howard, Montgomery and PG counties identify more with DC than with Baltimore.

Old 12-08-2009, 10:12 AM

250 posts, read 863,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumerian Feast View Post
The influence outside of the city is strongest in Baltimore County and Anne Arundel Co. In places like Arbutus or Dundalk or Glen Burnie, you're sometimes more likely to hear the Baltimore accent than you are in the city. There's also a good bit of influence on some parts of the Eastern shore, since so many Baltimore-area people vacation or move there. (A lot of Orioles and Ravens fans out there!) But as you get into the southern Eastern shore it starts seeming more like the south, and in some counties near VA you might hear a southern accent as much as a Maryland one.

It seems to me that Howard, Montgomery and PG counties identify more with DC than with Baltimore.
Montgomery and PG counties are within the DC metro area.

Howard county likes to think of itself as the center of the region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>